Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Has your RAV4 Gen 5 experienced a roof leak?

• Nope.

Votes: 156 91.2%
  • Yep.

Votes: 15 8.8%
61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Hybrid XLE
168 Posts
No leaks on mine. Granted it’s only been two weeks since I got mine, but we got a little over a foot of snow and some rain within that time, and I’ve noticed no leaks at all. I have cross bars (factory installed) and a roof basket on.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Hybrid XLE
168 Posts
An update from today. I brought my RAV4 for a car wash, even though we are expecting more snow tomorrow and later in the week. I have a Yakima Offgrid roof basket installed over the factory cross bars, but I did not notice any leaks at all, anywhere.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Seems like this was overblown.

Very few actual leaks here in the US. Hope the trend continues
Agree! If the clips and gaskets are not broken or deformed, it won't leak under normal condition. However, the design is still very poor and may cause problem after a few years due to the dirt blocking the drainage channel and clips/gaskets ageing.

Those Japanese and Taiwanese used garden hose to test were actually blocking the drainage channel to make it leak.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Hybrid XLE
168 Posts
Taken my RAV4 on three car washes since receiving it in January, heavy snows in early February, strong rains in March, and still no leaks. At this point I am no longer worried about any leaks.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Taken my RAV4 on three car washes since receiving it in January, heavy snows in early February, strong rains in March, and still no leaks. At this point I am no longer worried about any leaks.
Next time right after the wash, snap loose 1 of the 2 A-pillars

Didn't think my RAV4 had this issue since I never developed any stain(s) in the headliner until I did this on the driver's side A-pillar following a carwash and ended up with a wet lap

Resolved with @1inch strips of Gorilla Waterproof Patch & Seal Tape after removing those silly white fasteners/snaps;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Next time right after the wash, snap loose 1 of the 2 A-pillars

Didn't think my RAV4 had this issue since I never developed any stain(s) in the headliner until I did this on the driver's side A-pillar following a carwash and ended up with a wet lap

Resolved with @1inch strips of Gorilla Waterproof Patch & Seal Tape after removing those silly white fasteners/snaps;)
August 2020 i think they started installing the orange clips?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've washed my 2019 Limited Hybrid at least a dozen times and it's been outside constantly for 20+ months with no signs of roof leaks.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 XLE AWD
29 Posts
No leak on my 2021 XLE. I am driving from Oregon to Texas and back with a roof box in about a month so we'll see if that changes things at all.

·
Registered
138 Posts
8 month ago I voted here for ‘no leaks’ . To day I vote ‘yes’
Leak used to happen every other storm. It actually used to happen on a long slow raining day rather than downpour.
I had it fixed under warranty at a dealership but they didn’t replaced headliner which has water stains now. I brought it up to attention of Toyota.
will hear back in couple of days.
Should I be concerned about A pillar airbags being soaked occasionally?

·
Registered
303 Posts
No roof leak here. Had it for eight months. Been a spectacular vehicle! We just came back from a 5,000 mile road trip in it (of course 90% ICE powered). It is fantastic around town as well as a wonderful road cruiser. We are such happy campers.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
8 month ago I voted here for ‘no leaks’ . To day I vote ‘yes’
Leak used to happen every other storm. It actually used to happen on a long slow raining day rather than downpour.
I had it fixed under warranty at a dealership but they didn’t replaced headliner which has water stains now. I brought it up to attention of Toyota.
will hear back in couple of days.
Should I be concerned about A pillar airbags being soaked occasionally?
Heck yeah and report it to the NHTSA.

61 - 80 of 113 Posts