Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Has your RAV4 Gen 5 experienced a roof leak?

• Nope.

Votes: 177 91.7%
  • Yep.

Votes: 16 8.3%
101 - 120 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
In my cars case high roof didn’t leak during pressure sowers. It was the drizzling rain that penetrated the roof. Fixed after tsb applied.
Where I live roof leaks only in the winter when water is standing . Others seasons when it flows my roof in my apt doesn’t leak. Maybe the same principal.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
In my cars case high roof didn’t leak during pressure sowers. It was the drizzling rain that penetrated the roof. Fixed after tsb applied.
Where I live roof leaks only in the winter when water is standing . Others seasons when it flows my roof in my apt doesn’t leak. Maybe the same principal.
Which TSB are you referring to please?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
If you have a roof leak and you are under 36k miles just go to a dealer and they will fix it under warranty
Is that what you did?

What is the repair process?

There are literally multiple holes in the recessed rail on the front and back that effectively act as drains

Its a design flaw so I'm curious how your dealer fixed it

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Fingers crossed but mine has been as waterproof as a duck's ass. And it is constantly raining here, often torrential. Car has also been parked at every conceivable angle on our steep, with camber, driveway. Nothing is getting in.

No roof rack or mounts fitted.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE Pro Audio/Dynamic Nav/Weather Packages Build date: June 2021
938 Posts
My R4P was assembled in June 2021 and no signs of a leak yet, but I have not pealed back the rear seat headliner to inspect the airbags and do use a touchless carwash once a month or so. If I was going to do the absolute solid repair I would not dink around w/ a little silicone sealer around each pushpin/grommet: best to FILL the entire trough with silicone caulk then push down and reassemble so the entire space is essentially completely filled w/ silicone sealant, wipe away any excess sealantk, then there would be no reservoir to hold water and the seal would be truly completely connected to the trough itself.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
My R4P was assembled in June 2021 and no signs of a leak yet, but I have not pealed back the rear seat headliner to inspect the airbags and do use a touchless carwash once a month or so. If I was going to do the absolute solid repair I would not dink around w/ a little silicone sealer around each pushpin/grommet: best to FILL the entire trough with silicone caulk then push down and reassemble so the entire space is essentially completely filled w/ silicone sealant, wipe away any excess sealantk, then there would be no reservoir to hold water and the seal would be truly completely connected to the trough itself.
Please make a YT video of YOU actually doing this. It could go viral.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I don't think I'm going to see a problem, but if and when I do, that is the solution I would aim for. And If I had YOUR old 2020 I would definitely do this 🤣
First you said caulking the perimeter of the rails was the best solution. Now you say entirely filling the rails with caulk is even better. Talk is cheap. Just do it as preventive maintenance if you are so confident in your solution to this. Otherwise, I can't wait to see what brilliant idea you dream up next.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE Pro Audio/Dynamic Nav/Weather Packages Build date: June 2021
938 Posts
First you said caulking the perimeter of the rails was the best solution. Now you say entirely filling the rails with caulk is even better. Talk is cheap. Just do it as preventive maintenance if you are so confident in your solution to this. Otherwise, I can't wait to see what brilliant idea you dream up next.
Doubtful the rails will ever be an issue for me as it's semi-arid, garaged, and other than a couple minutes of water exposure at the touchless carwash once a month it doesn't see water. If it ever does leak I will do the trough fill and seal if it's technically possible. That means finding a sealant material that is perhaps somewhat flowable, then 'sets up', that will adhere well to the painted trough surface which could be roughed up enough assist adherence. With a flowable sealant you might be able to pour right over the top of the pushpin w/ grommet assembly in situ and from videos I've seen it looks like it may well be possible. It would absolutely be the definitive solution over orange washers and a small amount of local silicone around each hole just think about that before launching into your usual ad hominem low-level insults. See if you can argue WHY filling the trough up so no water can collect in it, so that the entire bottom is filled with silicone sealant covering the pushpins with their orange washers completely, is somehow a bad idea.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Doubtful the rails will ever be an issue for me as it's semi-arid, garaged, and other than a couple minutes of water exposure at the touchless carwash once a month it doesn't see water. If it ever does leak I will do the trough fill and seal if it's technically possible. That means finding a sealant material that is perhaps somewhat flowable, then 'sets up', that will adhere well to the painted trough surface which could be roughed up enough assist adherence. With a flowable sealant you might be able to pour right over the top of the pushpin w/ grommet assembly in situ and from videos I've seen it looks like it may well be possible. It would absolutely be the definitive solution over orange washers and a small amount of local silicone around each hole just think about that before launching into your usual ad hominem low-level insults. See if you can argue WHY filling the trough up so no water can collect in it, so that the entire bottom is filled with silicone sealant covering the pushpins with their orange washers completely, is somehow a bad idea.
Your flowery latin phrases still don't change my opinion of your latest "best" way to fix the roof leaks.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Your flowery latin phrases
One thing cheaper than talk, crazy, is just shooting out ad hominem bits w/ no cogent argument why the idea doesn't deserve serious consideration. You've added nothing, just being obnoxious with nothing under it but a weird attitude. I figured you wouldn't because either your aim here just to be obnoxious, or because you can't imagine how to execute the idea yourself so are trying to goad me into showing you how with a video. I'll go with the latter since you already have obnoxious mastered.

101 - 120 of 144 Posts