• No

Votes: 10 40.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I opted against getting any extended warranty coverage. Although, we did finance about 95% of the vehicle, so GAP was a must for us.

However, my wife is having second thoughts and wants to go back and get the extended coverage with an unexpected bonus (since the dealer said we could get it after the fact).

What do you guys think? Do you tend to pay for extended warranties? What sort of extended coverage do you think is necessary for a 2020 RAV4 Hybrid?

·
Registered
11 Posts
My view is that you bought a Toyota and count on the brand for it's reputation. Most vehicles you can tell within the standard warranty period if they are going to be a lemon or not. If so, get rid of it. Worst case is that you can get extended warranty for the same or less money near the time it expires.

The battery is likely the biggest risk to a hybrid failing and hear that is quite rare with Toyota. Toyota now has a 10 year / 150K mile warranty on the battery in your 2020 Rav4. To me, that is awesome and covers any additional concern I would have on the Hybrid vs gas in the way of a warranty need.

IMO, I would not get any extended warranty. Good luck!

·
Registered
787 Posts
1. You can buy the extended warranty/insurance up to 2 years after purchase. Why rush.
2. There are dealers online who sell the Toyota Platinum warranty at a discount. A search here will reveal some contact info.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Do what makes you feel better. I personally would not, but there's no guarantee that you won't have any issues. That goes for everything we buy these days.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I purchased an extended warranty for my XSE. I have had extended warranties on my last several cars and it was worth it to me as I always came out ahead in the end. It's amazing how much some of the parts and labor will cost on vehicles and 3yrs/36 months just isn't enough. I had a power door lock go out on one of my Hondas and it cost me $500 alone just for that one item (which was covered by the EW).

·
Registered
191 Posts
Is is not the hybrid parts that usually go bad. It is the common things like the mentioned power door lock or air conditioning. That said, it's hard to get parts and labor for anything under $1000 these days.

·
Registered
103 Posts
1. You can buy the extended warranty/insurance up to 2 years after purchase. Why rush.
2. There are dealers online who sell the Toyota Platinum warranty at a discount. A search here will reveal some contact info.

The main reason to get extended warranty early on is the benefit of free of charge service appointments

I’ve got 160 000 km / 6 years Gold Package for cdn $2000 which includes first 4 maintenance services.
I don’t have exact figures but 4 trips to Toyota dealer would set me back at least $500 here in Canada.
my actual cost of extended warranty just dropped down to $1500

$1500 for 6 years of piece of mind doesn’t sound so terrible.
I bought extended warranty mainly for electronics & sensors

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's 5 year unlimited km as standard in Australia for Toyota now. $215AUD fixed price per service. 10 years on the hybrid battery and 7 years emergency assist and hire car if they need your car for any period of time while fixing it.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Are you saying that you have had issues with toyota warranties?
In all fairness to Toyota, I’ve had a lot of them over the years and have had very little go wrong to really test their warranties. That said, the RAV4 gas and hybrid models both seem to have their issues that should be covered under the base warranty. I’ve yet to see the fuel tank problem fixed (or even scheduled to be fixed) and Toyo‘s history with the earlier Prius bladder problem tells us it may never BE fixed.
So paying big money for an extended warranty is unwarranted, especially since I’m unhappy and probably not keeping this car very long.

·
Super Moderator
10,893 Posts
We were able to procure bargain basement pricing for Toyota extended warranties on both of our '08 models purchased new. Back then policies could be purchased online/telephone for 1/3 of what the selling dealer wanted but that is no longer the case. Toyota stopped it cold due to complaints from dealers charging full pop pricing.

First time ever buying extended warranties but they paid for themselves and then some. Just the V-6 water pumps alone exceeded the cost of the warranties. I question if this would be the case now since drastic discounts are no longer available. In our case it worked out well for us.

·
Registered
787 Posts
We were able to procure bargain basement pricing for Toyota extended warranties on both of our '08 models purchased new. Back then policies could be purchased online/telephone for 1/3 of what the selling dealer wanted but that is no longer the case. Toyota stopped it cold due to complaints from dealers charging full pop pricing.

First time ever buying extended warranties but they paid for themselves and then some. Just the V-6 water pumps alone exceeded the cost of the warranties. I question if this would be the case now since drastic discounts are no longer available. In our case it worked out well for us.
Is it that Toyota stopped the selling of extended warranties at a discount or the advertising of them at a discount. As recently as July '19 I got a very nice quote.

·
Super Moderator
10,893 Posts
The fella that Junebug and I bought from worked at a Toyota dealership and sold it over the phone. I'm sure discounts are still available from some dealers but this was just over $500 (if I recall correctly) for the top platinum Toyota warranty. Dealer I purchased 2 cars from from quoted almost $1500 each. He got all pissed off and told me there was NO WAY I could buy it for that but I did. I doubt any discounts currently available are that drastic.

Mind you this was from Toyota not some aftermarket outfit. The dealer makes up their own price. They buy from Toyota and then mark it up to whatever the market will stand for.

·
Registered
442 Posts
In all fairness to Toyota, I’ve had a lot of them over the years and have had very little go wrong to really test their warranties. That said, the RAV4 gas and hybrid models both seem to have their issues that should be covered under the base warranty. I’ve yet to see the fuel tank problem fixed (or even scheduled to be fixed) and Toyo‘s history with the earlier Prius bladder problem tells us it may never BE fixed.
So paying big money for an extended warranty is unwarranted, especially since I’m unhappy and probably not keeping this car very long.
My Rav4 power seat made a terrible noise while reclining at a particular spot. The seat still worked fine, just made the loud noise - something was binding or the gear motor had a bad gear head. I took it in expecting the worst, but they replaced the seat back, no questions asked. Sample of 1 I realize.

I doubt I will get a warranty - I never have in the past, however since everything is going super lightweight - radiator, condenser, who knows what else. Light weight and long lasting are usually mutually exclusive. If I couldn't fix most things myself would be more apt to get a warranty..

·
Registered
134 Posts
It kills me to the core when I hear people say I got (paid) for the extended warranty to get the free oil changes and maintenance, when in reality all you did is pay for the oil changes and tire rotations up front. There is virtually zero other maintenance done during the first 3/36. My .02 Msg me for the contact info of the lowest price I found anywhere and still didn't buy.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
As did RTexasF I bought an extended Toyota VSA (aka extended warranty) at about 1/3 the normal going cost for my '11 RAV4. Contact was Jerry Johnson, Midwest Toyota, Hutchinson, Kansas. Toyota corporate killed discount pricing for out of state buyers but reportedly has relented as some owners have reported. However the discounts apparently are not as great as previously. Never had to use my VSA but with previous non-Toyota vehicles having the VSAs paid off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We intend to buy a Toyota extended warranty (we don't like 3rd party warranties) but we will wait until we approach the standard warranty expiration. I bought one previously over the internet and plan do that again.

Just traded in a 2007 Prius with 300K miles on it and had almost no problems with it. But the amount of electronics on the newer cars makes me nervous since they can be very expensive to repair.

John

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought the extended warranty, but then again I always get them. I like knowing that at 1000 or 93000 miles I can have the computer replaced if something crazy happens. I doubt very much anything major mechanical will go wrong overall, but electronics are expensive and sometimes finicky things so for me its pretty cheap peace of mind. And it was only like 2-1/2 cent per mile overall for 36001-100000 coverage

In my Colorado I more than made up for the warranty purchase when the entire electronics system nuked itself and they had to replace everything, and in the santa fe after the drunk driver hit me I hadn't used any of it so I got the whole amount back, and with the Ram I hadn't hit the warranty yet so I was able to transfer it and got full value with its trade in. (before that it was all used cars so never got any real warranty for them)

·
Registered
412 Posts
If you're able, use GEICO insurance. They offer new cars "Mechanical Breakdown Insurance" for between $35-70/year, for 7 years or 100,000 miles, with a $250 deductible. Covers everything, and you can have all of the work done wherever you want, including the dealer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts