Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a new 2005 1.8 2WD RAV4. I am a driver almost one year and I am wondering how many RPMs is it optimal to drive the RAV?

I thought that it should be about 3000, but the engine seems to get loud... I guess that this can be normal for SUV engines. So how many RPMs do you usually drive?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Standard I guess. I generally say the lower the better when it comes to fuel economy but it really depends on what you are doing. Highway in an automatic is 2700-3200 RPM so if that is any indication to you.....?? City/ 1500 RPM at about 60Km/Hr so it really depends on the application.

I try to avoid "winding it out" all the time to prevent bustin' somthing but no doubt it could probably take it for a while. Good luck with your driving. Stay safe. Later. M. 8)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the 2.4L, so gobbs of torque...i usually just use each gear to 2500-3000 rpms. mine does 0-60 in 7.6 seconds, so it's pretty peppy just cruising at low rpms :D

·
Registered
685 Posts
1.8L??.....I presume that's a diesel??
Can't help with a RAV diesel......don't import them to Canada, or even Nor Amer, I think......but from what I knew about diesels ('85 VW), all the torque is at low rpm, so it doesn't do any good to wind them up.....

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not a diesel. I don't really uderstand what the 'L' means. In Poland we only have 1.8 and 2.0 (diesel or petrol).

I try to keep the RPMs between 2000 and 3000, but on the 5th gear I have 3000 driving about 130 km/h and the manual says that the maximum speed is 175. So I guess it can take a lot more than 3000 (at least on the 5th gear). At the other hand I don't want to destroy the engine or anything like that...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd guess you are correct, MpDzik, in keeping the revs between 2000 and 3000. With my 2.0L, I get my best torque between in the lower 2000's, and that's where you get the best performance for fuel, where the engine is most efficient. The 1.8L would probably need a heavier foot to get the RAV nice 'n' perky.

However, check your tachometre, you see where that red line is? Your engine should be fine until the rev's touch that line. It will get loud and start rattling and shaking, but truly, it's fine, don't worry about 5000 revs even. All engines make a good deal more noise and vibration at higher revs where they are producing more power, but, it's only uncomfortable for you.

By the way, the 'L' is the lazy way of writing the 'ℓ' symbol - indicating the size of the engine.

For the US cousins; the 2WD RAV's in the rest of the world come with 1.8L engines - fuel was never comparatively free, as it used to be in the US. ;)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MpDzik said:
It's not a diesel. I don't really uderstand what the 'L' means. In Poland we only have 1.8 and 2.0 (diesel or petrol).

I try to keep the RPMs between 2000 and 3000, but on the 5th gear I have 3000 driving about 130 km/h and the manual says that the maximum speed is 175. So I guess it can take a lot more than 3000 (at least on the 5th gear). At the other hand I don't want to destroy the engine or anything like that...
130km/h at 3000 rpm, mine with a 2.4L is about 2800rpm at 100km/h :shock:

·
Registered
771 Posts
They are about the same since the transmissions are all geared that way. Even the final drive ratio for a standard in 5th gear is about the same as an auto in O/D. The RPMS at highway speed are going to be about the same no matter what because of this fact and not because it is a 1.8L , 2.0L or a 2.4L.

M.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts