Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Colgan car hood bra and when looking through the gallery pics I notice that not many of you use them. I was wondering why?

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
I use an OEM bra on my 1996 2dr, but only for special occasions. 8) It' covers my hoods chips/dents pretty good. The reason I don't use it all the time is dirt/grit works its way under it and can then rub/scratch the paint even worse than it already is. I've also heard that if you leave one on for a prolonged period of time with it WET, it will discolor/cloud the paint.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Never used one and probably never will because I don't like how they look, and as Kelly mentioned, they can damaged the paint. It would be nice to keep the hood from getting chipped, but I would rather just repaint the hood and front grille evey couple years like I did this past summer.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have had dirt build up under the bra - I am in a lot of dust and mud. On both of my RAV's I have put the bug shields and they help keep the chips off the front of the hood and are easy to clean.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I've had them on every vehicle I've had since 1988 (which amounts to four vehicles) and haven't had any problems. In fact, I recently saw my baby (my 4.1 2-door :cry: ) in a parking lot and the new owners had removed the bra (for winter I presume) and I saw no clouding or other problems where it had been.

Becky

Edit: Er...okay, my avatar doesn't have the bra, but honest, I've got one on there now. I couldn't locate one for the '04 at any dealer until this October, and that pic was taken in I think June.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have the Colgan sport bra, basically a half bra, which only protects the hood. I have it on most of the time in good weather and take it off during rains. I usually clean it everytime I wash my car which is usually once a week so there's no build up or accumulation or grit underneath for long if any.

·
Registered
986 Posts
My hood doesn't get nearly as many chips as the metal trim piece under the grille and headlights, which wouldn't be covered by a bra (as far as I know). That's why I don't bother with a bra or a bug shield, although I have been thinking of installing a bug shield to protect the windshield.

For those of you that have bug shields / rock shields / bugflectors etc. how well do they work for protecting the windshield from rocks? I need to get my glass replaced sometime this year because of a few small cracks and fractures. I'm just waiting for something bigger to smash it up so I have a reason to replace it, since I don't have glass coverage and will have to pay for the whole thing.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a bug/deflector shield and I wish I had one on it from when I bought the Rav new. The stone chips I accumulated were exactly where the sheild now covers! Also not long ago I got a huge stone dent near the front grille, (wish the deflector had bits to cover those little strips between the lights and grille) but again if the deflector hadn't been there, there would've been a nice dent on the top bonnet lip too, as the deflector has a nice scratch instead.
I also like the sporty look it gives with the Rav4 insignia on it.
Goes well with the tinted window and rear spoiler. :p

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I have the paint protection film ("clear bra") on my Subaru and I think it's much better than the old style black bra. You can barely see it so it doesn't take away from the appearance of the car the way a bra does, and it doesn't require any special maintenance. Works great too. However, it only makes sense to use the film when the paint is in perfect shape and you want to keep it that way.

I have a hood deflector on my 2000 RAV4 and have had them in the past on other cars. They work well for protecting your hood from bugs/debris, but they don't have too much of an effect, if any, on what hits your windshield.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Cars + bras = paint damage .
I've always used the plastic nose guards .

Just a note about the clear film used to protect the hood being almost invisable .
On the 2000 I just bought , I didn't realize it was on it till I got it home . :oops:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hood Deflector for me. :) I like the way the nose mask looks but unless your really good about keeping your vehicle clean (I'm not) dirt, bits of hard materials, and the like can build up under and rub on your paint. If you do use a nose mask, keep a good coat of carnuba wax to help keep the damage to a minumum. :) My two cents... (picks up soap box and walks away...)

·
Registered
396 Posts
atombob said:
Hood Deflector for me. :) I like the way the nose mask looks but unless your really good about keeping your vehicle clean (I'm not) dirt, bits of hard materials, and the like can build up under and rub on your paint. If you do use a nose mask, keep a good coat of carnuba wax to help keep the damage to a minumum. :) My two cents... (picks up soap box and walks away...)
Yup, that's exactly what I do. Clean the car at least once a week. (Well, haven't done it the past three weeks cause of the darn Ca rain.) Take off my half mask and vacuum it out for dirt and debris. Right now I apply Zaino once every six months and so far, the area underneath the mask still looks good.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Concur with the negative reviews. Unless you are very careful to remove it, clean well, almost daily, it will eventually ruin your paint. And even if you do that, over time the covered paint will not "sun fade" while the rest will. Total waste of money IMHO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts