Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm going to pick up some coolant for a cooling system drain and fill from the radiator.

Can anyone tell me how much coolant I should buy?
I know the system holds 7.2qts or 6.8l but I imagine much of it will stay in the engine block since the only drain plug is on the radiator (according to haynes anyways..).

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just wanted to follow up to say that I used just over one 3.75L container - maybe 4L.
I opened the petcock and expansion cap, and let it drain for probably 20 minutes.

I closed the petcock, filled it back up, then cranked the heat and started the engine.
I let the engine warm up with the expansion cap off hoping to "burp" it. I also squeezed the rad hose a few times.

I've gotta say it's really not obvious to me as to whether or not there's air still in the system.
On cars with a rad cap you can see the bubbles surface and the fluid level drop, but I didn't see much of a change at all when the rav's motor warmed up.

Hoping for the best :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yes, I concur with myang001 - On my previous 2010 rav4 I used about 1.5 Gallons of 50/50 Toyota coolant for a complete fill. This was after a water pump, and thermostat replacement. Did a serpentine belt and tensioner replacement at the same time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts