Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone want to take a look at this one. What do you think, it is ultra low miles, with no service records or anything else on carfax. What do you think I could get it OTD if I walked in with a cashiers check?

Another question would be, If you have purchased a 2010-2012 Limited v6 4x4 recently what did you end up paying (not including taxes, title, etc.)?
Thanks in advance.
Used 2011 Toyota RAV4 For Sale | Bensenville IL

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
+ Hard to find V6 4WD Limited, if you like the color.
+ at a VW not a Toyota dealer.
+ price = Nada clean trade-in.
- won't last long with the mileage.
Ask some no-surprises question.
If they pass get the check made out for their internet price.
Watch out for high paperwork, etc. fees.

Reactions: Kinslayer17

·
Registered
263 Posts
just as an FYI dealers much rather prefer when buyers finance the car - they make a lot more money that way

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand , and I may try their financing....but I really prefer my CU. Being from the South, we generally do not pay anywhere near NADA for used vehicles....and most of the local RAVs here are 2wd. The cost of living is cheaper and it transfers to all goods and services. I'm just not used to paying near asking price I guess. I could get a RED (ughh) 2011 Limited loaded 50Kmiles locally for 17000...

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
It's at NADA trade-in price, would probably be 22K+ (retail) at a Toyota dealer.
Hey whattsamatter with red??

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
With that mileage it's barely broken in! No service records ? Does that mean that there are no records available for the RAV having had required maintenance? Should be able to go to www.toyotaowners.com and register, then enter the RAV's VIN and get a complete record of maintenance services and any recalls and recall work done by Toyota service departments. You might be able to negotiate the price down. About checks, dealers have always accepted personal checks for the full amount from us and that doesn't lock us into a predetermined price.

·
Registered
166 Posts
... snipped ...It's at NADA trade-in price, would probably be 22K+ (retail) at a Toyota dealer.
I paid CDN $22,000 for a similarly equipped 2011 V6 Limited this August with 45,000 miles (70,000 kms.) on it. I tracked Canadian data for 1.5 years and the going rate for that car was closer to $24,000.

The US $19,500 is a decent deal. However, if it was me, I'd go in with a cashier's cheque for $17,500. I'd also have an extra $1,500 in cash split up with $1,000 in my wallet ... and another $500 in my pocket.

I'd offer $17,500 and depending on the reaction, really take my time and hem an haw about going any higher. At the right time, I would either open my wallet and declare "here's another $1,000 and that's it ... I'm all in" or reach into my pocket for the $500 and do the same.

At the end of the day, the Carfax is clean (no flood, repo, rental etc. ... no accidents is a must for me) and if you can get the service history from Toyota (nice to have but not absolute necessary), then even $19,500 sounds reasonable.

You know the VW dealer probably paid the previous owner around $15,000 on trade so even at $17,500 they are making money. Personally, I enjoy negotiating and never show too much interest in any one vehicle. I'd also have a folder that I open up on their desk that shows a bunch of "other" RAV4's that I've looked at. I do not show them the details.

Last point, it's a good time to buy as this is a tough season for car sales so timing is on your side. Be patient, be a little aloof with your excitement and make them work to your number ... not you to theirs.

Good Luck, ~ BugJr ~

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
... I'd offer $17,500 and depending on the reaction, really take my time and hem an haw about going any higher. At the right time, I would either open my wallet and declare "here's another $1,000 and that's it ... I'm all in" or reach into my pocket for the $500 and do the same.

You know the VW dealer probably paid the previous owner around $15,000 on trade so even at $17,500 they are making money. Personally, I enjoy negotiating and never show too much interest in any one vehicle. I'd also have a folder that I open up on their desk that shows a bunch of "other" RAV4's that I've looked at. I do not show them the details.
I agree with all points but I never make an offer because that invites a counteroffer, saying instead, "I'd be willing to pay $XX." That way you get to see how much the seller will move w/o being "in your face."

Having legitimate other potential deals both shows better prices and lets them know you're a serious buyer not just fishing. I got $1,000 off my RAV4 over the phone by quoting the best phone price I'd worked another dealer down to. Seller wanted 16.5K. I gave specifics on another same year & model I could get for 14K. Seller said I can't do that but I can do 15K. I never did say I didn't want the other one since it was from Buffalo-salt NY.

In this case I doubt this very low mileage RAV4 will last long so I see the need to act fast so as not to miss it, but at the same time not act too anxious.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well guys, I offered $18500 cash and to fly into Chicago to pick it up Saturday. They stood firm on their full asking price, so its still there if anyone wants it. In my area 17k would be a high price...but like I said they are all red/white or 2wd. I have noticed a lot of 2011s being traded in in the last 2 weeks at the dealerships, guess 5 years and 50000 miles is to old for some people. I like to get about 300,000 out of my Yotas though. The search continues....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's at NADA trade-in price, would probably be 22K+ (retail) at a Toyota dealer.
Hey whattsamatter with red??
Red just isn't my thing, white is a bad luck color for me. Red has a higher probability of oxidizing/fading. I love Toyota, but their paint just isn't that high of a quality to begin with IMO.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With that mileage it's barely broken in! No service records ? Does that mean that there are no records available for the RAV having had required maintenance? Should be able to go to www.toyotaowners.com and register, then enter the RAV's VIN and get a complete record of maintenance services and any recalls and recall work done by Toyota service departments. You might be able to negotiate the price down. About checks, dealers have always accepted personal checks for the full amount from us and that doesn't lock us into a predetermined price.
They list the CarFAX on the website, it just doesn't show any services being performed. Not a huge deal really, my vehicles show limited service history because I do the basics myself.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I paid $9200 for my Dakota R/T, drove it for a year and sold it to Carmax for $10400....No wonder their prices are so high :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
07 V6 4WD for 10.2k (without tax, dealer fees, etc)

I hope it's okay for me to hijack your thread but I was also looking at a 4.3 V6 w/ 4WD. Dealer is trying to move the car and is offering wholesale + $500 which he states is 10.2k. Then you add in taxes, etc so it should come out to ~11k OTD. The car looks like a base and the mileage is ~80k.

Is this reasonable or am I better off looking for a private party? The private parties I'm seeing are all asking for about the same for their V6 :(

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
Bo0osted,
According to the book I use, Nadaguides, at least for my area that's about $800 off of retail ($11,000) but I'd keep looking since I pay much closer to Trade-in price which is probably what they have into it. Average Trade-in is $7,600 and Clean Trade is $8,500.

Also keep in mind that private sellers, regardless of their asking price, are often just looking for a little more than they were offered on a trade-in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts