Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting another vehicle and it's between an 09 V6 Limited, and an 08 Outback XT.
I've had several turbo Subaru wagon's and what I love about them is the torque. Once the turbo spools up, you'll get pushed back in the seat. If you love driving, it'll put a huge smile on your face. It's really hard for me to pass up.

Both HP and torque numbers are similar for the Rav4 and XT, both hit 60mph in similar times.
So my only question is...can you feel the torque in the V6? Does it push you in the seat if you pass someone or take off fast? I'm assuming not because I've had dozens of V6 engines and they have a lot of power, but I never actually felt it. It seems only a turbo will really reveal any power.
TIA

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
A comment from a friend of mine who drove our V6 for the first time. "Man this thing is quick - and it still has a lot left at 60 MPH."

·
Super Moderator
11,102 Posts
For one thing there is no "Once the turbo spools up" with the V-6. It is smooth, quick, and linear. Floor it @ 70MPH and it downshifts to 3rd then upshifts to 4th @ 105 MPH and keeps on truckin'.

Fortunately very little throttle is needed to accelerate or quickly change lanes. The transmission responds promptly to your right foot and you must be prepared for that. It takes a day or two to get used to the instant throttle response for a new driver. SMOOTH is the key.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
Toyota RAV4 V6: 269 HP, 246 lb./ft. torque. Not certain what you mean by "push you back in the seat." For me to have that happen it's a 460 HP 'Vette or similar or hotter vehicle. But the RAV4 V6 is quite strong especially for a compact SUV. No turbo lag, continues to accelerate quickly under full throttle to well beyond the speed limit.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Errr...wouldn't a test drive answer this highly subjective question better than any words could?

That's what I'd do.

·
Registered
25 Posts
As the owner of two 2011 RAV4’s; one 4cyl, one 6cyl, I can without any hesitation say the V6’s 269HP performance is on par with my son’s Monte Carlo SS LS4 V8 which boasts 303HP. A major factor off the line is the AWD just hooks-up the tires and goes forward with no delay or hesitation. Driving around town, I have to remind myself I am driving the V6 and not the 4cyl so I go easier on the throttle.

As a matter of fact, go on you tube and type in RAV4 V6 drag race and see how many V6 RAV4’s have suprised many of the competition....

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
24 Posts
It will feel completely different than the turbo power you're used to. Being a big gear head, I prefer the flat broad torque curves of turbo engines vs NA so I think I get your concern/where you're coming from.

I don't personally have a v6 rav but have driven the same engine 2GR-FE in the Camry, Avalon, ES350, RX350 variants. The power is smooth/linear and no, it won't give you the same "push you into your seat" feeling turbo cars do in my opinion. This is completely subjective so you're best test driving it and deciding for yourself how "fast" or "powerful" it is based on your experiences.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Plant the gas pedal and it screams! No hesitation to speak of and you don't have turbocharger wailing all the time. I love the V6 for its really smooth performance (at idle I have to check the tach to see if the engine is running), especially on the highway since we do a lot of road trips every year. 107,400+ miles on our 2010...and we don't have a turbo wailing away on a high winding 4cyl while cruising at 70-80mph on the highway.....

I doubt the turbo XT can match the RAV4V6 to 60mph or 100mph.

Tom

·
Registered
270 Posts
Don't tell my wife but I've had mine up to 120MPH....and it STILL had room to run.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
171 Posts
i like the test drive one option here. A guy from work asked me about mine after his crv crapped out. Tossed him the keys and 3 weeks later he had picked up a white one.

269 hp for me is more than enough and smile inducing while pulling away from civics and most other cars out there.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Don't tell my wife but I've had mine up to 120MPH....and it STILL had room to run.
The computer won't let it go faster than 130 MPH (or so) because that's what the stock tires were rated for.

Others have speculated a stock RAV4 V6 should be able to hit 150 MPH+, if it weren't handcuffed by the computer.

Reactions: RAVN4RED

·
Registered
36 Posts
The V6 in the Rav4 is very powerful for everyday needs, I noticed it sometimes to be jerky if you're not careful with the throttle at lower speeds but that's just preference. I constantly drive in the back roads and major Highways and never had a problem with taking the longer semi and would sometimes reach 150 km/h (not safe :p) without even realizing it. My other car is a TSX so I'm used to having my foot slightly pressed on the accelerator during highway commutes. Only reason why I didnt buy the new Rav4 is cause they dont have the V6 option.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The computer won't let it go faster than 130 MPH (or so) because that's what the stock tires were rated for.

Others have speculated a stock RAV4 V6 should be able to hit 150 MPH+, if it weren't handcuffed by the computer.

Yeah, the RAV4 wasn't sweating at all, but I was. LOL
I thought the only part on this CUV designed to go that fast is the engine so I better reign her in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try it, you'll like it! Just make sure it's warmed up first. It changes from a dog to a cheetah when the temp needle hits the appropriate point. I bought my 2012 V-6 partially based on the well deserved raves for the V-6 on this site, and I wasn't disappointed! Does great in the mountains of Colorado and gives me a scare once in awhile when I step on it and it downshifts.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Try it, you'll like it! Just make sure it's warmed up first. It changes from a dog to a cheetah when the temp needle hits the appropriate point.
Absolutely true. The closer you get to full operating temp, the more ponies Toyota lets loose.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
Just make sure it's warmed up first. It changes from a dog to a cheetah when the temp needle hits the appropriate point.
Yep, the first time I stepped on it with the needle on C it was such a dead dog I thought something was wrong. Now I know how the 4-cylinder must feel. (Sorry I4 friends.) When the needle started moving up it turned into its normal Bully Dog again and all was well!

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you get the Subaru put aside 5k for your motor rebuild....They love to blow the rings out of the forth cylinder...Its an awesome vehicle otherwise.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'd take the V6 over the Turbo 4 anytime... The 2GRFE is a beast. :) and the longevity of the motor will be much better than a Turbo 4 from Subaru.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pretty strong motor back in the day I took my v6 Rav to the track just to see what it would do and ran a 14.7 at 94+ mph thats pretty quick.
She crossed 200k miles and been very easy to maintain to date.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts