Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new to the forum but not new to vehicles, I work in the auto damage industry.

I am contemplating trading in our 2016 Subaru Forester for a 2007 Toyota RAV4 - v6 limited 4wd. W/45k on the odo and dealership is asking 12.9. 1 owner, looks very clean.

Now, I am considering this because my wife and I decided we want to eliminate all debt as fast as possible. We have already downgraded one of our vehicles for a more cheap and economical Honda Fit.

I've been reading about potential issues with this particular model and I saw the oil line (which according to the carfax could have been replaced on this particular car) which is an easy fix either way.

I came across a lot of people talking about the transmission whine and it has me concerned. I know the 07 is well outside of the TSB coverage.

Is this something I should be concerned about even if the whine isn't currently present?

Any and all help will be greatly welcomed.

Thank you

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
It is only a noise problem and does not mean the transmission will fall apart. I have it in mine but I could not tell when I got it since the brake rotors were warp causing too much noise and I was not going at the speed (50 km / hr) where it was the loudest that much on the test drive. I got use to the noise but it can be annoying so if you drive at the speed where it whines a lot. Not all V6 has this whine so you can get lucky.

The 2007 (and 2006) model is prone to more problems and I would avoid this year. You have a higher chance of getting a water pump failure which is very expensive. You should carefully read and google this car since there are many people who wish they knew all the problems there is on this vehicle. I would recommend 2009 to 2012 models. The V6 is quick and if you enjoy the power and the quickness there is not many SUV in the same price range that compares. The closest rival is a RDX if you can find one with low mileage and low price.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
In the U.S. one can check on one's own and/or have a Toyota dealer check the service, repair, and recall history for any RAV which you might consider buying by going to www.Toyotaowners.com and registering, then by entering the vehicle's VIN. Then it is possible to access all records of service and repair done by Toyota dealers, and by a former owner if they access the system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I registered the vin under my previous Toyota owners account and nothing about the transmission was present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
The 2007 V6 for the most part was quite a reliable vehicle. Yes, the waterpump was replaced in mine. I did have the transmission whine but it didn't bother me much. I just drove it, no issues ever came about on it. When I traded my 2007, it had 162,000 KM on it. My VVTI oil line was replaced but then I replaced it again recently with an all steel one. The replacement developed a leak so that's why I changed it out. All I've done on mine were the fluid flushes, oil changes, brakes and battery. I ended up trading my 2007 for a 2012 V6 Rav4 because the engine developed the dreaded cold start slap. All the symptoms pointed to the cam timing gear needing replacement. It's an expensive repair...one that exceeded the trade in value of my vehicle. If you can find a 2010 or above, I'd recommend that. It looks like the V6 engine issues were resolved in those years. Otherwise, keep the Subaru.

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
The tranny whine was hit or miss. See the cars below that we drive.....the Base is her car with no noise ever. Mine is the Limited and required a reman tranny after their new motor & transmission mounts "cure" didn't work. It whined from day one and got worse. If you don't hear it now then you never will.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts