Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have been thinking about getting a RAV4. But I now re-considering my choices. I just saw a brand new Black Jetta in the parking lot. I really liked the looks of it. How reliable are they? I think i read some reviews about people complaining about their new Jettas having problems. Would appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Speaking from experience, VW's in general are well-designed vehicles that offer good features and performance for a decent price, however they have poor reliability, and therefore are not something I would own again.

I look at it this way- Volkswagens are designed and built with performance and refinement in mind, but I think this is done at the expense of reliability. On the other hand, Toyotas are designed and built with reliability in mind, however this sometimes comes at the expense of performance and refinement.

So in conclusion, new VW Jetta might look really nice and drive really fast, but it will spend a good amount of time in the shop, and often this time in the shop will come out of your own pocket because VW likes to weasel out of covering things under warranty.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I used to own a 1997 Jetta that I bought new. It had great road feel and driving it was a pleasure.

However, quality was an issue. It had all sorts of "weird" problems. The door locks didn't work (repaired 4 times on the same door), exhaust and brakes kept needing replacement at short intervals. And at the time, the warranty was only 2 Year / 40000 Km and no option to upgrade. I found that VW does try to weasle their way out of warranty repairs. The door problem mentioned above happened a 5th time but just over 40000 kms. They just said sorry, you pay now, even though it was obviously an ongoing problem from day one.

My new RAV has a 7 year warranty with ECP. Amazing.

My brother also had a 97 Jetta and he had an absolute nightmare with the car and the company.

Never VW again for me.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Like mentioned above. VW have a few issues . I'v known 5 people who have owened them, all have had simuler problems in different vehicles.

- mechanical and electrical failures
- very high repair costs
- poor dealer service and lots of [email protected]## when they complained.

Some people seem to have the perception that it is a great car like Mercedes or Porsche because it is built in Germany :roll:

Walt

·
Registered
252 Posts
mionee67 said:
Some people seem to have the perception that it is a great car like Mercedes or Porsche because it is built in Germany :roll:

Walt
The funny thing is that a lot of people (myself included until I bought one) think they are made in Germany. My Jetta was made in Mexico.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your input.

The only other car that I am considering is the Volvo S40. I believe it is the 2006 model. The final price of the car is almost equivalent to that of the RAV4 Sports 4x4. What do you guys have to say about the Volvo S40?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I don't know anything about the S40, but you are comparing an SUV to a car. I think you should decide what TYPE of vehicle you are after before you consider the brands. A car will have better on-road handling over any SUV. But the SUV is more versatile in a lot of ways. Carries more stuff, has AWD, can see out better due to higher seating position etc.

The new RAV is just 3 inches shorter in length than the Highlander. You get a lot of vehicle for the buck. (my other vehicle IS a Highlander)

And as far as brands go, I honestly don't think it gets better than Toyota as far as quality and reliability goes. I guess that could be a biased comment, but I've owned a lot of different vehicles and I could have bought any brand out there. I went with Toyota and have been extremely happy with that decision.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Volkswagen....I used to work for VWA and yes the are not the most relible cars. All VW's are built in Mexico, just the Passat and there SUV are German make. Warranty is a problem, They think they build the best so there are NO problems just BS on why they fail.Two years ago they had coil problems on all of there cars and they still do'nt think they had a problem. I didn't own a VW then and still don't.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I had a Jetta and know three other people who have one now. Mine (built in Mexico) was solid and trouble-free. Never had a single issue with it. It was a lot of fun to drive and had an expensive feel you don't get in any other cars in its class. I'd certainly buy another VW.

Of the three other people I know with Jettas, two have also had no trouble with theirs. The third had a couple of issues with his turbo (he has the 1.8T) but it was fixed.

The Volvo is also a nice vehicle. I've seen the S40/V50 get quite good reviews.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The S40 is just a rebadged Mazda3/Euro Ford Focus.

Unless you're springing for the turbo/awd variety, I'd opt for the Mazda 3 version. More bang for your buck and the Mazda variety is more fun to drive.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Rebadged is the wrong word. The three vehicles share a platform, which is another way of saying that there is a common set of basic parts that each company's designers can build upon when creating their own distinct vehicle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts