Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Prius has this feature for four or five generations now and the 4th gen Prius technology was used for the 2016-2018 Hybrid.

My father-in-law has the MB ML400 and the auto start from stop is much more pronounced and the car vibrates a little bit more.

I know this saves a lot of fuel since idling does waste a lot of fuel.

When backing out of the garage, I have to put the car in reverse before the gasoline kicks in and I do wait about 30 seconds to get the motor oil circulating.

I have a lot of faith in Toyota's Hybrid Drive Synergy system and I'm sure Toyota wouldn't have included this auto start/stop feature if it will cut the gasoline engine life much shorter than usual. What did Toyota do to make the gasoline engine robust enough compared to the typical ICE vehicle that doesn't have such a feature? I understand it's the hybrid batter that makes the gasoline engine turn in, while for typical cars, it would be the starter/alternator.

So far we are loving the car, we haven't encounter any issues with the trim, finish, or the drive.

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,093 Posts
It has nothing in common with any other system. The "starter" is MG2 which is about a 16Kw motor. Turning over the ICE is no strain at all. The ICE is spun up to 1000rpm before any spark or fuel is sent, ensuring its fully lubricated before being loaded. The starting and stopping generates absolutely no wear on the ICE.

The only thing that has ever been reported as "wearing out" in that part of the system is the torque dampener, and even that is rare. (its a sort of a clutch)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So for hybrid vehicles, Toyota, hands down, has the best design?

I guess we won't be seeing a lot of other makers going hybrid as they will jump to manufacturing electric cars.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It has nothing in common with any other system. The "starter" is MG2 which is about a 16Kw motor. Turning over the ICE is no strain at all. The ICE is spun up to 1000rpm before any spark or fuel is sent, ensuring its fully lubricated before being loaded. The starting and stopping generates absolutely no wear on the ICE.

The only thing that has ever been reported as "wearing out" in that part of the system is the torque dampener, and even that is rare. (its a sort of a clutch)
The "starter" is MG1, but everything else you wrote is true.

·
Registered
35 Posts

This is an older thread but I have been wanting to ask a question about the "starter" for hybrids. This answers it, although a second post mentions "MG1" instead of "MG2" above.

Lots of good information on this forum, but it is the devil learning which word to use to find the right bit of information.
Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts