Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,056 Posts
There are 150 car gas fires a day....
Yup!

All new technology is scary. But the risk of fire while driving a fossil fueled car is much greater than it is with an electric car. We need to take a breath and calm down about battery fires. Yes, they do happen and, yes, they are frightening. But they are relatively rare, despite what the news media would have us believe. Drive on electrons and be happy. When it comes to fires, you are safer in an electric car than in a conventional car.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Lithium battery fires are scary, they can't be put out by conventional means. I am pretty sure there are mitigation taken to keep the occupants safe.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Lithium battery fires are scary, they can't be put out by conventional means. I am pretty sure there are mitigation taken to keep the occupants safe.
The current RAV 4 Hybrid doesn't use Lithium batteries so they are perfectly safe in that respect. There is always a danger after an accident from high battery voltages, but the emergency services are trained to know where the isolator switches are and usually a serious impact should trigger the isolator automatically.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
These diagrams (and many others like them) provided by car makers are just part of the training FDs use to prepare for accidents/fires involving gas and/or battery-powered vehicles.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The current RAV 4 Hybrid doesn't use Lithium batteries so they are perfectly safe in that respect. There is always a danger after an accident from high battery voltages, but the emergency services are trained to know where the isolator switches are and usually a serious impact should trigger the isolator automatically.
I know, the PHEV version will probably have them. Model airplane enthusiasts charge lithium batteries in fireproof containers. I store mine in terracotta pots in the fireplace just in case.

The danger of a fire isn't really any greater than a gasoline fire, they are just much harder to put out. My co-workers laptop caught fire a few years back, he tossed it out the window, it was a site to see.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
The really seemingly dangerous concern I have is the fact that the hybrid has a very high powered battery sitting right on top of a 14.5 gallon gas tank under the passengers seat! A major t-bone accident in that area could possibly be catastrophic. I know the Rav has high ratings in a front end crash but I’m not sure about a back door impact.

·
Registered
624 Posts
The really seemingly dangerous concern I have is the fact that the hybrid has a very high powered battery sitting right on top of a 14.5 gallon gas tank under the passengers seat! A major t-bone accident in that area could possibly be catastrophic. I know the Rav has high ratings in a front end crash but I’m not sure about a back door impact.
Seriously, with due respect, why did you buy this car? I really think you need to get into something else that will cause less angst for you.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Boy, If I could find a low mileage Yugo - I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Possibly the finest best classiest car ever produced ( in Yugoslavia ! ) !
And the second best was the American made Corvair !
Some of us are old enough that we raced in sedan races against Corvairs, Ford Falcons, SAABs, Volvos. Nader made a name for himself but, for their time, they weren't that bad. Compare them to the same era VW.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Seriously, with due respect, why did you buy this car? I really think you need to get into something else that will cause less angst for you.
I only mentioned it as the most obvious worst case scenario. It’s not like I’m sitting around thinking about it. Frankly hadn’t thought of the Rav hybrid that way till I looked at the diagram of the hybrid again. The right hit could create quite a fireball but who knows what the likelihood is for that to happen? As someone who has spent lots of time with FDs, I’ve had some very interesting conversations about car accidents.😳

I bought it because, like many here, I was a true Toyota fanboy but that shit is seriously over now. I should have known better than to buy a first year vehicle. Toyota is bending lots of paying customers over the counter with a significant number of problems with design/execution/poor response and they’re going to pay for it at some point.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts