Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
. . . . . . and they’re going to pay for it at some point.
That crop has been planted, the bullet has been fired, the det-cord has been lit, Toyota has begun an irrevocable journey that will end with chickens roosting.

While I certainly ascribe to the "never say never" . . . . I find it almost impossible to see a scenario where I EVER again give Toyota a thought when purchasing a vehicle.

Toyota, for this poster, is last months fish wrap.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Some of us are old enough that we raced in sedan races against Corvairs, Ford Falcons, SAABs, Volvos. Nader made a name for himself but, for their time, they weren't that bad. Compare them to the same era VW.
I've had Corvairs, Falcons and too many VW's to count. They were all FUN to drive !
I will say that the last Corvair convertible I had used more oil than gas. I used to carry gallon jugs of used oil - in fact it used to get 15 miles per gallon (oil that is.) But it sure was a fun car to drive. The Falcons were also great little cars - both the 'three on the trees' and the 2 speed automatics. The VW beetles would go absolutely anywhere. The VW Campmobile was so much fun to vacation in. And as for all the Pintos that I owned - they were a blast too. All of these cars were considered unsafe. I guess I must have rolled the dice and came out on top.
NOW as far as safety goes -- I NEVER wrecked a one of them.
--------------------------------------------
back on point
---------------------------------------------
So as far as the Rav4h and it safety goes - I'll once again roll the dice.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Although these links do not directly answer the OP’s question, they do confirm that a great deal of engineering effort has gone into making these vehicles safe and in educating first responders.

Also nimh batteries like we have are claimed not to spill much if any liquid when crushed or broken. And the battery is inside a sealed metal enclosure. Of course nothing is impossible but some things are very unlikely.

Now someone will say “They’re the same engineers that couldn’t design a fillable fuel tank!” as proof of incompetence in the design of the entire vehicle. I have no comeback -You win. ;)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Now someone will say “They’re the same engineers that couldn’t design a fillable fuel tank!” as proof of incompetence in the design of the entire vehicle. I guess you win. ;)
They’re the same engineers that couldn’t design a fill-able fuel tank !
And they are as safe as a Mother in her Baby's arms !

All kidding aside - So much testing has gone into these cars. USA has some of the toughest safety standards. I'm not going to lose a wink of sleep over safety issues.

·
Registered
624 Posts
In general there seems to be a lack of understanding about how much safety testing and government certification goes into new vehicles. They can’t just flip a switch and start using a revised fuel tank design overnight (if that’s even the eventual fill fix).

And for some that makes me the board’s Official Toyota Apologist. ;) :D

·
Registered
691 Posts
In general there seems to be a lack of understanding about how much safety testing and government certification goes into new vehicles. They can’t just flip a switch and start using a revised fuel tank design overnight (if that’s even the eventual fill fix).

Generally struck by your fact based attitude towards things.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts

Who? Where?😳
And nobody ever said you were the Official TA!
Seriously, I don’t sit around pondering dangerous scenarios. And my blood pressure is just fine.
Just happened to notice and recognize that this hybrid battery sits directly on top of the gas tank and made a comment. It would take a very specific kind of hit to pose any real danger.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Who? Where?😳
And nobody ever said you were the Official TA!
Seriously, I don’t sit around pondering dangerous scenarios. And my blood pressure is just fine.
Just happened to notice and recognize that this hybrid battery sits directly on top of the gas tank and made a comment. It would take a very specific kind of hit to pose any real danger.
The follow up would be “Well if they put so much attention into design and certification, how do you explain the fuel tank & gauge issue?” The only answer I can come up with is “Somebody effed up”, either in the design of the tank or in manufacturing it.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
The follow up would be “Well if they put so much attention into design and certification, how do you explain the fuel tank & gauge issue?” The only answer I can come up with is “Somebody effed up”, either in the design of the tank or in manufacturing it.
Yup - who and when they noticed that is what I really wonder about.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well, at least Toyota hasn't killed hundreds of people . . . . . from a Boeing internal email featured in a Sky News report.

Boeing737MAX.png

21 - 33 of 33 Posts