Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am posting this article for anyone like myself who wants to have another Keyless Remote and has not done so before.

My Rav came with 3 keys and 2 remotes. (I think this is a hint from Toyota to buy something) :roll:
So today my 3rd used remote came from Ebay at a $10 total cost. :D

Here is what you need to do if you would like to do the same.

1. Get the full ID numbers from the back of the Remote.
Mine where: FCC ID:HYQ12BAN
CANADA: 15511021295
RSS -210
DENSO

2. Buy the same on Ebay

Next is the programming. If your neighbors see you do the next step, well they might think you lost your mind. :?

1. Start with the following conditions: You are in the driver’s seat.
a. Key is out of the ignition
b. Driver door is open (all other doors closed)
c. Driver door is unlocked (other doors don't matter)
2. Insert and remove the key from the ignition twice within 5 seconds.
3. Close and open the driver’s door twice within 40 seconds.
4. Insert the key into the ignition and remove it.
5. Close and open the driver’s door twice within 40 seconds.
6. Insert the key into the ignition.
7. Close the door
8. Turn the key in the ignition on and then off.
9. Remove the key from the ignition.

10. Press both transmitter lock and unlock buttons SIMULTANEOUSLY for duration of from 1 to 1.5 seconds.
11. Within 3 seconds, press the transmitter lock button for more than 1 second and release.
12. If the transmitter has been successfully programmed, the power locks will automatically cycle once. If they cycle twice, the remote has not been accepted.
d. If multiple remotes are to be programmed, repeat steps A-C.
13. Open the driver's door.

The lock button worked right away.
Where-as the open did not work until I exited the car and closed it again.

I missed one step the first time. The second i just did the all the steps as fast as i could and it worked.
I will never use a key to open my Rav again! :wink:

Cheers, Walt :D

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Wow, that was very informative, but how did you come up with that? I thought that keyless remote controls' IDs were unique. I didn't know you could find one on ebay :shock:. That's a bit scary :roll:.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Miriam,

Like Kelly mentioned the remotes must be programmed from your cars ECU and you also need the key so it is very secure.
If someone has your key then it would be really scary. :shock:

I am an organization freak so I always know where a place things. However, my father in his old age seems to collect them in all his pockets. :roll:

So I have better odds with 3 sets to find a pair.

Anyhow, I am really happy about paying only $12. :D

Walt

·
Registered
300 Posts
Followed instructions - no programing mode??

I have a 2004 Rav4 L. I bought it used and it has key less entry and came with 3 keys and 2 remotes. All three keys are toyota keys and work in all doors/ignition/glove box. The remotes are also toyota, and even say denso on them and have an ID #.
I have lost 2 keys and both the remotes. (yea I know I am smrt) I had 2 new keys made at the dealer for $24. At that price I have to believe the dealer that there is no micro chip, plus he showed me a key from his Avalon and it was in fact thicker. The parts guy at the local dealer (ourisman Toyota in Fairfax Va) quoted me 149 for each remote and 35 for programing. I am currently unemployed and that just inst in the budget so I got the 2 keys and left. I, and said parts guy at the dealer believe that my L does not have the added security package no micro in key, and no blinking red led. So seeing this post I get on ebay and snatch up a remote for $12 shipped. Passed on a lot that sold for more. What a bargain. The instructions I used were from the technical service bulletin on this site, and the very same instructions appear on a couple other Toyota forums and also came with the remote I got from e-bay. I tried the instructions with steps 5-6 reversed and also in the order they appear on the TSB. I even tried using a stop watch and running thru all the steps in less than 30sec total. Any idea why I cant get my rav to enter program mode?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Can this procedure also be used if you already have a remote but it has just kind of stopped working?

I replaced the battery in mine and now when I go to arm or disarm the vehicle, the alarm goes off. :roll:
Before replacing the current battery, I replaced the battery a year or so before that and this didn't happen so I don't know if this is a remote issue, an alarm issue, or what. Anyone know?

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BikerJay I believe the TSB on this site & the instructions that I posted may differ slightly. If so try both.
Hopefully the remote you have is working properly.
I didn't get it right the first time.
The second time I just did one thing at a time, not looking at the
time.

Lee Ann does your second remote work, (if you have one)?

If so you could buy one, reprogram it, and it will definitely work.

Cheers, Walt :D

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Walt, Don't have a second remote. I think my mom only got one, and if she got a second, she definitely lost it before I got it from her. Can the one be reprogrammed or do you think there is something else wrong since I changed the batteries once before this and the alarm worked fine (never went off when arming disarming)?

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lee Ann I too had 2 remotes, lost one, then bought another on Ebay.

You could try reprogramming yours. I am no Electronic Eng. ,
but my guess would be something happened to your remote.

Even if your remote does work again, it still is worth the $13 to have
a 2nd one.

Walt

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
waltrav said:
...Next is the programming. If your neighbors see you do the next step, well they might think you lost your mind. :?...
Hahaha, heres a tip: You dont have to close the DOOR, you just have to press the door switch that turns the dome-light off (As this is what the computer uses to tell if the door is closed or not)

And trust me, you havent seen odd untill you go into a toyota shop when 3-4 of us are doing this at one time (since usually our programming computers are being used for something else, or have been misplaced :evil: )

But yeah, you have it right.

Theres actually 4 different programming sequences for toyota alarms, this one is called the "2-door" programming. The hardest one would have to be the "7", where you have to turn the key from off to on then back to off again SEVEN TIMES, and you cant mess up or you have to start it all over again :evil:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
LeeAnn said:
Walt, Don't have a second remote. I think my mom only got one, and if she got a second, she definitely lost it before I got it from her. Can the one be reprogrammed or do you think there is something else wrong since I changed the batteries once before this and the alarm worked fine (never went off when arming disarming)?
Wait, leeann dont you have 4.1? the programming is different for the 4.1 that it is for the 4.2. i posted one of the sequences in the 4.1 DIY section (well, i think it was DIY, i cant find it right now)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Swimmerboy2112 said:
What do i do if i want a keyless remote but i do not have a previous one?
well, you need to know if your RAV has a keyless system already on it or not. are you the original owner? did it come with remotes?

If it didnt, your options are to either go and get a system from your dealer's parts/accessory counter, or get an aftermarket one online. then either install it yourself or have it installed.

Note: its is VERRRYYYY easy to install the toyota systems, as they are made to be installed at the shipping port by untrained temporary labor workers. takes me not even 40 minutes to wire, install, and program a system.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
The Drifter said:
LeeAnn said:
Wait, leeann dont you have 4.1? the programming is different for the 4.1 that it is for the 4.2. i posted one of the sequences in the 4.1 DIY section (well, i think it was DIY, i cant find it right now)

O

·
0 Posts
The Drifter said:
Swimmerboy2112 said:
What do i do if i want a keyless remote but i do not have a previous one?
well, you need to know if your RAV has a keyless system already on it or not. are you the original owner? did it come with remotes?

If it didnt, your options are to either go and get a system from your dealer's parts/accessory counter, or get an aftermarket one online. then either install it yourself or have it installed.

------

My dealer here in Flagstaff just told me that one of the parts needed to install keyless entry (which I don't believe I have on my 2002 RAV, which I bought used without remotes) is no longer available through their parts department. I wonder which part that is. And can you recommend a particular aftermarket website for this?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks Waltrav and Ravman! I ended up using the TSB from Ravman's post to this thread (same info as in waltrav's initial post) to program 2 key fobs for my '02! Been a member of this forum for 2 weeks and it's already saved me $100. They wanted $50/fob to program them at the dealer and it's literally 2 minutes worth of reading and work! Ridiculous!

·
Registered
2 Posts
What to try next?

If neither programming sequence generated a response from the system (Dealer installed or OEM) for a 2001, M/T, 2WD that has power door locks, windows and sunroof...etc....what would you try next?

I called the dealer and listed the VIN and they said it would be 150 for two remotes programmed so I took that as the necessary components were there already.

Is there something else to look for?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
778 Posts
are you asking how you would know if you already have the system installed? check for an led on your dash. usually a red led thats fairly small. also check if you have a alarm hooter (the speaker for the alarm) under the hood. i dont know what else to look for tho

1 - 18 of 18 Posts