Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) i do not work for Toyota, am not a mechanic by profession, and should not be considered an authority on any of the systems dealt with in this write-up - so if you do this, it's at your own risk!

2) this involves removal of the driver and passenger airbags. Do NOT do it if not sure!!!

3) Disconnect the negative from battery before starting and wait at least 90 seconds

For fog lights installation I followed excellent write up here http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10294 I used the approach that does not require removal of front bumper as note later in the thread. I pulled back the wheel well cover and was able to install the lights, took about 20 minutes

To install auto on/off lights 3 parts are needed.

These 3 parts that have specific manufacturers notes, all for sport model:

84140 SWITCH ASSY, HEADLAMP DIMMER
**140-48200
Replaced by: **140-07141
Manufacture notes: LIGHT CONTROL SYSTEM-WITH

89120 SENSOR, AUTOMATIC LIGHT CONTROL
**121-12010

82142 WIRE, INSTRUMENT PANEL, NO.2
**142-42080

note that part "89120" is incorrect it is 89121-12010, (I am providing the part numbers as they are found in the parts catalog)

Unfortunately part 82142-42080 is no longer available (it can be ordered, but it will take a long time, since it will be custom made)

So I ordered part that is for limited model:

82142 WIRE, INSTRUMENT PANEL, NO.2
**142-42050

I'm not sure what the difference is, since I could not look at part 82142-42080, but I suspect that part 82142-42080 is wired for 1 sensor and 82142-42050 is wired for 2 sensors.

Here are the parts:

Installation:

First remove the steering wheel:

FYI I was confused on how to disconnect the airbag, it took me a while to figure it out, orange connector is popped and ready to be removed

To install the sensor you have to remove the upper front panel, (I think removing the panel can be avoided, the wire is snaked under the heating duct, harness connector is right in front when instrument panel is removed) I followed Toyota's instructions:

One note, even if passenger airbag is disconnected like in step 13, the wire is still attached with a clip to the chassis and impossible to get off, I found out that when I got panel lose, I was able to raise it a couple of inches, reach to the airbag connectors and disconnect it. Ones the panel was off I got the wire off the chassis and plugged it back to the airbag, so when I was installing the panel I did not have to worry about reaching in to connect it.

After panel is removed it will look like this

I installed the sensor and routed the cable under heat duct

Installed the panel back (FYI have to keep an eye on the air went for windshield, tends to move or not slide into groves on the panel that hold it in place)

Now time to plug sensor in:

The switches side by side:

I removed the windshield wipers control from old assembly and move to the new one, the windshield wipers control is removed by pressing on one clip and pulling it out

I installed the new module on steering wheel column and pull out the red tab that hold retainer spring open.

Then I installed everything back, The torque for steering wheel nut is 37lb

Now my headlights come on when it gets dark and fog light are controlled same way as sport and limited models, the instrument panel lights come on (for fog lights and when auto light turns on)

When I started this project I talked to "experts" from Toyota and everyone told me this would be impossible to do. I was ready to give up when I came across a website in Japan http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/378432/car/285965/742435/note.aspx where someone has already done in on Toyota Voxi, I contacted this guy and he was very helpful.

·
Registered
121 Posts
How much did this cost you, and how long did it take? Awesome write up!

Also, was the connector on the wiring harness for the sensor already installed and programmed into the ecu to work in an auto mode? I have an 07 limited with fogs, but I really miss having auto lights.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sensor was about $120 and handle was about $95, wire was about $7, I got them through a friend who works for a body shop. His prices are not far from parts barn. It took me about 4 hours. The wiring for the sensor is wired to the blue connector behind speedometer,you have to run the wire "82142 WIRE, INSTRUMENT PANEL, NO.2" to the sensor. you can shave off about 2 hours by not taking the panel off, but fishing the wire under the air duck, someone else did this mod and he did it without removing the panel. I just did not realize that the connect was staring me in the face :)

the ecu in my case and for the other guy were programmed for the auto-lights, as far as I could tell by the parts numbers, the ecus are the same for many of the rav4s

·
Registered
81 Posts
this is really perfect, thanks dude :) but I can never dare to remove all panel :) I`m gonna try to put oem switch...

·
Registered
83 Posts
I put in the sensor and the wire today, havent had the time to get into the switch.

The sensor connector and the sensor are really tight in their mount hole.
I fished a wire in from the top, and had to tug hard to get the connector up through, then the sensor would not go in the hole very well. its done though, on to the next project.

·
Registered
83 Posts
IT WORKS!

I put in the turn signal switch today, I have a few items to add.

The airbag/horn button screws are captive in the wheel, I had tried to pull the first one out then gave up. loosened the second and the assembly popped off.

When you remove the switch assembly from the column, you squeeze the clamp, but you also have a lock tab at 12 oclock. I put a small pick underneath it to release the assembly from its detent.

I also should have bought the steering wheel controls and done them at the same time. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
awesome write up! i have a base rav4. how easy or hard to do the fog switch? i have the fog lights installed already. i don't want to use the aftermarket where i have to splice and stuff. any feedbacks? thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For some reason I stopped getting notifications from Rav4world, sorry for delayed responses:

1)I'm guessing this only works on the update model RAV's ?
No, this was installed on V6 base model. From reading other posts I suspect that V6 base models have the same harness as sport/limited. Makes sense because there are limited number of v6 base/sport/limited models made. The 4 cylinder versions are more common and Toyota can save money by not including the extra wires and eat up cost of making a separate production line. This is my observation on for lights and other installs and missing ray wire in the steering column...

2) how easy or hard to do the fog switch? i have the fog lights installed already. i don't want to use the aftermarket where i have to splice and stuff. any feedbacks? thanks!
That's the easies part of the install :) . Just make sure you have the grey wire (read the How to add Foglights using OEM Wiring on the RAV4.3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums : RAV4World.com topic they go into it with details) If you going to do it, get the steering sound controls (warning, it seems that 4 cylinder versions of the RAV4 are also missing the wiring necessary for that mod...)

Just an update, removing the panel is NOT necessary to do this mod, couple of people have wrote to me and told me they have done this without removing the panel, just fish the wire through under the heating air duct and plug it in!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello!

First, I'd like to thank for posting this trhead. Was planning the same upgrade to my RAV4 too.

Could someone please answer to me a tricky question:p

"Auto light sensor turns on low beams when it's raining?"

I do not have a rain sensor.

Is there any signal coming from activated wipers to auto lamp function or something like that?

(sorry for potential gramma mistakes- not English speaking:p)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi,

I am not sure what that menas. I looked at the diagram and there is no nothing about rain sensor. I think some of them do come with rain sensor, but not sure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quick question about auto on headlights. When did they become standard in limited models? My fiancé has an 08 limited with no auto headlights. There does seem to be a sensor on the dash though but no "auto" on the light stock.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know when, but the sensor might be the ambient temperate sensor, if you have climate control.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Question, Just bought a 2011 Sport. so it already has the factory fog lights. I really miss the auto lights function from my old truck. If I am not mistaken, I would just need the new switch, harness, and sensor? I looks like it would be a plug and play install for my Rav4 since it's only missing the auto function on the switch.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think so, but I had a PM from someone else that said he bought all the parts and then discovered that he is missing the wiring from ECU to the plug that behind speedometer. So like I suspected rav4 with 4 cylinders have different harnesses from rav4 with V6. I think rav4 v6 have the same harness with all 3 models and for rav4 with 4 cylinders they make different harnesses, depending on the model. I would first take the speedometer off and see if you have the blue plug. if you do then its all plug and play... and since you have the fog lights already then the fog lights should work too. just note the you can do the wiring from the sensor to the harness without removing the panel, just fish the wires under heating pipes. makes the mod a lot easier :)

PS please post back what happens and your engine is so other people would know...

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,415 Posts
Quick question about auto on headlights. When did they become standard in limited models? My fiancé has an 08 limited with no auto headlights. There does seem to be a sensor on the dash though but no "auto" on the light stock.
The auto on/off headlights became standard on the 2009 Limited along with push button start, turn signal mirrors, fender flares, and the antenna on the roof. The sun sensor on the dash in her '08 is for the automatic climate control. There is a blank next to it where the headlight sensor would have been.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
25 Participants
CrayFollay
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing