Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
. The sun sensor on the dash in her '08 is for the automatic climate control. There is a blank next to it where the headlight sensor would have been.
We seem to have this sensor on the dash (along with the blank for the headlight sensor), just in front of the driver on our base model and we do not have automatic climate control, so I don't think that's what it is. Besides, putting the temps sensor in the window under the sun like that would not accurately reflect the interior temperatures.

·
Registered
444 Posts
We seem to have this sensor on the dash (along with the blank for the headlight sensor), just in front of the driver on our base model and we do not have automatic climate control, so I don't think that's what it is. Besides, putting the temps sensor in the window under the sun like that would not accurately reflect the interior temperatures.
the auto ac has a sunlight sensor too - it is not a temp sensor (that is somewhere else)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for the detailed post, ipokrov. Do you know if these parts will work on an 08 limited, or do I need limited-specific parts? If so, how could I find those part numbers? Also, do I need to order the "SST" mentioned in the steering column removal instructions? Can anyone recommend an online store to order these parts? Has anyone tried toyotapartszone.com? Finally, are there any other special tools I might need for this install? Thanks again!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hi, I will try to answer to the best of my knowledge.
1)Do you know if these parts will work on an 08 limited, or do I need limited-specific parts

The parts I got, are actually for the limited additions. to be installed on rav4 with auto-lights
The part numbers I got from repair manual for rav4 2006-.... I found it on the web on a russian rav4 fan site. it was stored on some german on line storage, like rapidshare. it is gone now, you might look a round and find it somewhere else.
The main thing you need to check is to make sure that you have the blue connector behind speedometer, the one you connect sensor to. The other is to make sure you have the gray wire for the fog lights (if you care about that.)

2)do I need to order the "SST" mentioned in the steering column removal instructions?
Don't know what that is, but I think they are talking about a tool to pull of the steering wheel. I had to remove a steering wheel twice in my life and both times did it without any special tools. On my rav4 it was very easy. the car was new and I shook it a little and pulled it on left and right sides loosing it up. it came of easily. you can also use a tool that is used to pull off pulleys on water pump. I don't remember the name of it.
3)Can anyone recommend an on line store to order these parts? Has anyone tried toyotapartszone.com?
I THINK I called some store named parts barn or something like that, they were nice. I also called toyotapartszone, but they pissed me off because ones I told them what I was trying to do, the guy got all flustered and told me he can't sell me parts not intended for my car... what a moron!

4)Finally, are there any other special tools I might need for this install?
I did not need any special tools, but it was nice to have is a trim removal kit (its like $5-10 on ebay) makes things easier. and a lot of patients! :)
Hope this helps
ipokrov

·
Registered
7 Posts
i just picked up a Brand New 2012 Rav4 Sport. It appears to have a sensor to the left of the dash already. I don't know what the hell it does as i don't have the AUTO Lights option on the sport. Anyone know if its a place holder or the actual sensor? And if thats the case, would I only need the Light control switch part to do the job?

thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
7 Posts
it is a 4 , not a v6. The sensor (or whatever it is) is dome shaped. I will have to looke closer tonight to see if there is a spot next to it for an additional sensor install.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Before you get the parts, I would check if you have the correct wiring, from what I learned/remember, the 4 cylinder rav4 have deferment wiring harnesses , so if the model does not come with a feature, the wring is not there, but 6 cylinder have the same wiring harnesses, so I had all the wiring in place. (its the same as for stering wheel audio controls, 6 cylinder guys had no problem adding it, but 4 cylinder did not have the wiring in place) My guess would be if you remove the speedometer and the blue plug (circled in red on the picture/page 1) then you dont have the wiring in place.

I know for a fact that someone did not have the wiring ... http://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-4-3-interior/86466-light-sensor-wiring-diagram-needed.html

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's funny. I was going to attempt this mod because my old celica had auto headlights and I miss them... but after seeing the amount of stuff you need to do it. No thanks!

·
Registered
918 Posts
On our RAV it does not have the auto on/off, but it does have a auto safety off. It will turn off the headlights after 5 minutes or so, after the engine is turned off as a safety feature so that you do not run down the battery. Not sure if this feature is on all 4.3 RAV or what years it was added. My wife's last car had auto on/off so she thinks that this is a basic function of any car. Thus leaves her lights on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry for replying to an old thread... So I was interested in installing auto headlights on my RAV as I was so used to having it, my other lexus has the feature and it just feels inconvienent to turn off the lights lol. I found some interesting things when I took apart the dash... It looked like my Rav already had the sensor installed... when I took out the speedo it looked like the harness and connector were already connected? Does this mean I just need to buy the turn signal stalk?? Please let me know. :D :D

see photos in links

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B29htIjXifpXem9kaVgycWJsTzBPSG5pWG9mOGFzWGp1TlBv/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B29htIjXifpXdDJMVVVuejU4TmR3OXU1Mi1HY3lLeHBqZmxF/view?usp=sharing

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hello, it does look like you have the sensor installed. but if you look at the picture of the wring harness for the sensor, its designed to be used for 2 sensors. I would make sure you have the light sensor installed, not the other sensor (something to do with HVAC - sun load/intensity sensor?). there are 2 holes in the dashboard for both sensors. Unfortunately I don't have the RAV4 anymore and can't take a picture to show what sensor I installed...

You can also test it without removing the turn handle by just plugging in the new handle into the harness and see if it works... or if you can find the wiring diagram, you could also "jump" the 2 pins with a paper clip... most of the wiring down there is "ground" wiring - there are no HOT wires.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had one of these put in.. they work fine for automatic headlights
there is a little red wire inside the module, leave it be and you have DRL, snip it and the headlights go off

Directed Electronics Nite-Lite System D
by Directed Electronics
Link: https://amzn.com/B000CJ24YY

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can also test it without removing the turn handle by just plugging in the new handle into the harness and see if it works... or if you can find the wiring diagram, you could also "jump" the 2 pins with a paper clip... most of the wiring down there is "ground" wiring - there are no HOT wires.
Thanks for the reply! I will look into it when I get a chance. I do have the climate control sensor but I think the one next to it is a light sensor? I will look into that too, thanks again!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks for the reply! I will look into it when I get a chance. I do have the climate control sensor but I think the one next to it is a light sensor? I will look into that too, thanks again!!
that might not be a sensor, just a cover for the hole where the sensor goes, but good news is , most likely you are already wired for the sensor, so just need to plugin the sensor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a used 2015 XLE and it has a light sensor that appears to control the backlight in the audio display (I don't have Nav). I would like to find a wiring diagram for headlights/DRLs and try to figure out what's missing.

Even if I can't activate factory auto lights it seems to me that it would be relatively simple to add with a photocell controlled relay. That is, when the stalk is set to DRL it probably applies power or ground to one wire. When it's set to headlights it probably applies power or ground to a different wire. The photocell controlled relay could switch between these two wires. But I need the diagram to know for sure. Anyone have it?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hi, there is actually nothing missing :( the control is now in programming of ECU, so everything is there, but toyota (cheap bastards) want you to pay for software :)

I had the same issue when I got the 2013 RAV4 - I ended up doing a different mod than on my 2010 RAV4, I had the same idea you had with photocell and a bunch of relays. I did the write up - not as detailed and not pictures (sorry) here www.rav4world.com/forums/125-4-4-exterior/114009-add-auto-lite-option-using-non-oem-equipment-factory-wiring.html I did make a diagram! Hope that helps!

I have heard of people being able to reprogram ECU - in NYC and someone in Canada, probably the same people rolling back the mileage :) but cost was like $1000 - not worth it for me...

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
25 Participants
CrayFollay
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing