Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

281 - 300 of 356 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had the opposite problem with my 2012. I had the gray wire and wired relay spot but no wiring outside of the cabin to support the fog lights. After looking around for a good while i decided the easiest solution was to just run new wiring. I have it wired so that the switch only gets power when my headlamps are on, at which time it illuminates and i can turn my fog lights on or off. My wiring harness was quite simple, one wire supplies power to the switch, which when pressed then supplies power to close a relay, which supplies power from the battery to the fog lamps. Closest to oem i could get it without going to crazy with wiring. I also had limited wiring schematics to work with plus the wiring seems to differ over the years.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm take a picture later and show you, easier than explaining. But basically you have to drill from the engine compartment to the cabin. I did this close to where the accelerator mounts. It's a very delicate job because you obviously don't want to drill anything else but the firewall. The Rav4 didn't give much space for drilling either which makes it tricky.

You will also need silicone to waterproof where you entered the cabin with your wires.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There are two firewall grommets on each side of the vehicle. One is on the drivers side and the other you have to remove the glove box to get too on the passenger side. The drivers side has the wire for the hood release and the passenger side has a tube for something maybe ac. I have stuck a wire hanger through the glove box grommet and I did see it through the other side. This way no drilling through car. I plan on running the wires for the fog lights this weekend with pictures! Hopefully I can figure out which wire to plug the red wire into without the grey wire.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you can fit stuff through those go for it. All wiring and hoses that excited the cabin to the engine compartment were too tight to pass my fog light wire harness threw. Also would have to waterproof it since you'll alter the shape of the seal.

·
Registered
98 Posts
When i did it, I took electric solid copper wire, gage 12 or 10, about 3 feet long. The hardest part was to punch thru driver side firewall grommet. I've got to it from inside the car. It took about 10 minutes. You can reach the grommet by hand from under the steering and use flashlight. then fish it out from motor compartment, I did it by hand. That was easy. Then attached fog lights wires in the cabin to the copper and pulled them.
Same thing I repeated when run power wire from trailer hitch socket to the battery.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the opposite problem with my 2012. I had the gray wire and wired relay spot but no wiring outside of the cabin to support the fog lights. After looking around for a good while i decided the easiest solution was to just run new wiring. I have it wired so that the switch only gets power when my headlamps are on, at which time it illuminates and i can turn my fog lights on or off. My wiring harness was quite simple, one wire supplies power to the switch, which when pressed then supplies power to close a relay, which supplies power from the battery to the fog lamps. Closest to oem i could get it without going to crazy with wiring. I also had limited wiring schematics to work with plus the wiring seems to differ over the years.

I finally got everything hooked up but the "one wire supplies power to the switch." Fogs lights grounded with power and wire ran through fire wall with switch grounded and connected to fog lights. I don't have the grey wire so I used a fuse jumper and it powered the switch. I used the fuse for the sunroof which I don't have. I hid all wires. Looks clean with no splice into factory wires. Fog lights turn on when ignition is on and button is pressed low and high beam. Next time I'll get the limited model. It was some what difficult to install.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Quick question: does anyone have the fog light blank covers that were removed when you installed the fog lights? I'd like to offer $20 for them, delivery to MD. I know this message should be in the classifieds section, but this thread has the target audience.

I wanted to see if I can load them up with 5mm LEDs and seal the unit with a clear resin.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Quick question: does anyone have the fog light blank covers that were removed when you installed the fog lights? I'd like to offer $20 for them, delivery to MD. I know this message should be in the classifieds section, but this thread has the target audience.

I wanted to see if I can load them up with 5mm LEDs and seal the unit with a clear resin.
If I can find mine you can have them for $15

·
Registered
39 Posts
Finally I got mine working. I add a new harness. I coulnd't find the existing factory wire....
Nice second set of fog lights on your bull bar. Did your bull bar have predrilled holes or did you make it yourself. I might have to add this to the list of projects. It must be pretty cool if the your oem fog light goes on and off with the low beams then the bigger fog light can be turned on and off independently. I like it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
ha ha....that was the second project; I was talking about Fog Lights not the Flood Lights. My car doesn't come with OEM fog lights. The bull bar has come with dedicated brackets predrilled for flood lights, and once I turned on the ignition, I am able to turn on fog lights or flood lights with out low/high beams on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So now one of my fog lights has condensation in it. Has anyone had this problem? Do I just need to readjust the bulb and seal? :shrug:

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Not sure whether the moisture leaked from the around the lens or from the back bulb mount. Take the housing out. Remove the bulb and let it dry. The Apply a thin layer of silicon around the edges of the lens. For the bolb mount, you could try to use something less permanent (like windshield sealant) between the housing and the bulb.

I had heard about Chinese units having this issue. When I got mine, installed I hosed it down with high water pressure. I did not and still do not have issues with moisture. I guess I was lucky.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not sure whether the moisture leaked from the around the lens or from the back bulb mount. Take the housing out. Remove the bulb and let it dry. The Apply a thin layer of silicon around the edges of the lens. For the bolb mount, you could try to use something less permanent (like windshield sealant) between the housing and the bulb.

I had heard about Chinese units having this issue. When I got mine, installed I hosed it down with high water pressure. I did not and still do not have issues with moisture. I guess I was lucky.
Yeah mine haven't fogged or gotten moisture either, and this is after several washes and a lot of rain storms, temp changes, and humidity changes. Bought mine from chrome king USA on ebay

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fog lights in a 2010 Base

I bought the fog lights from Kramer America for my 2010 V6 base but cannot figure out how to mount them. I pulled the blank plates and didn't see any way of securing them to the bumper. How did you guys do it? Am I missing some kind of bracket?

Thanks...

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
I suppose you got these ones. There should some holes on the inside of the bumper cover (3 I think) that match the holes on the fog light housing.

In thw 2008, hence no plasic bezel/decoration. In my case, due to the poor alignment, only 2 of he holes are used to hold the fog light assembly. They do not move so I am ok with that. Mine were from Ebay. I bet they are from the same factory.

Do yourself a favour, take the bulbs out and wipe them with alcohol. One of mine got burn; I suppose someone left their finger prints on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I didn't understand when you said "you must have purchased this one". Was there a picture that didn't come through? Thanks for the info on how you installed yours but did you have to take off the front grill to do it?

Is there a bracket you can buy to mount it correctly?

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 2010 rav4 base v6 has a vin number starting with 2 which is Canada. I can see the pre wired fog light harness behind the blank fog light covers. I have also seen the empty space to fit a relay. The only thing I have not done yet is take the lower steering wheel cover off to find the grey wire. Can anyone confirm that if I have the space for the relay and the wiring behind the bumper that the grey wire is there? It is about 100 degrees outside and I want to know as much as I can before I go out there and start sweating! Thanks.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
281 - 300 of 356 Posts