Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

301 - 320 of 356 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
OK I think that it is time I jump into this whole fog light thing. I have read most of this thread and am still confused on which fog light to get. The e-bay China one run about $50, but some complain about moisture build up. I found at least one that is from a Toyota dealer
Toyota of McDonough Parts — 00016-12013 Toyota Rav4 Fog Light Kit 2011 2012
It is $100 more, but will it be that much better. Is this really a genuine OEM Toyota fog light. It still has the aftermarket OEM lookalike dahs button.

Advice sirs?

And Yes I live in a area that hs wet and snowy winters.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Just get a Chinese one with the bezels. I have one and no issues in 2 years of snow, ice, rain. Just remember to take out the bulb and wipe with alcohol to remove any grease/finger prints.

Most of the Chinese Kits also come with a non-OEM relay (will not fit in the default location, if you have one) and a button.

I suppose you would have to buy a Toyota lights stalk also if you get the OEM Toyota fog lights.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the cheaper Chinese ones and followed the directions very closely from the thread. I saw it posted somewhere and ended up putting a bead of silicone around the lens to keep out moisture. They have been on for about two months and no problem. My only complaint was the way they installed on my 2010 base V6. I slid to tabs from the fog lamp into slots of the housing in the bumper. It is only secured with one screw on the opposite side. It is in there pretty sturdy but I would think they would design it better (either Toyota or the fog light manufacturer). I do think it will be a PIA to replace the bulbs when they go.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Bulb is very easy to replace. Just your hand under the bumper or on the side of the fender, twist the bulb socket and remove the bulb from the housing.

I had applied silicon too but it started peeling off and the decide to remove it all. On mine, one side is held secure with 3 screws and the other housing is held with only 2 since 1 would not align. Clearly the fault of the fog light manufacturer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Toyota Fog-light Kit p/n 00016-12013

I bought a Toyota Fog-light Kit p/n 00016-12013 from Sparks Toyota to install in my base 2011 RAV. The kit comes with the fog-lights, switch, and everything to wire them up, much like the kits you see on eBay. It seems to differ a little in the harness, having 2 relays, one by the battery and one under the dash by the switch. After hearing that people had bulbs going out after a short time and moisture getting in the the lights I was hoping maybe the kits sold through a Toyota dealer might be better quality.

I pulled the fog-light mounting hole block-off pc.and saw that the wiring was there for the fog-lights. So I decided to run the lights the OEM way, using the existing wiring like so many here have done. Thanks to RiVot and others for their write-ups and information. The switch harness had only three wires coming out of it, Red, Black, and Grey, which continued into the under-dash relay harness. I cut the switch connector from the harness, which left only short leads so I soldered some longer wires onto the leads. The Red wire is the + illumination wire so I tapped into the + illumination wire of the DAC switch which is the green wire (not the light green wire). Not sure what they tapped into in the Euro installation instructions. They seem to have the gauge dimmer wheel that I have but also another similar looking wheel (with a thicker wheel) that they tap the illumination from. Anyway the Black wire was for the ground which I ran down to the grounding point behind the driver's side kick panel. Then I ran the Grey wire up to the 20 pin connector at the underside of the steering wheel and tapped into the Grey wire at pin 4 of the connector. I found a relay that's the equivalent of the Napa relay part #AR614 at Autozone part# 20329 for $12.99. Their relay part # 19997 for the same price will also work. Put the relay in, fuse was already there and the fog-lights were up and running. The button lights up like all the other buttons in the car when you turn the lights on. No weird behavior with any dash lights or anything. When you turn the fog-lights on the indicator light on the button lights up as does the indicator light in the gauges. Another OEM install. Thanks for the great write up to make it possible. Sure easier to install the lights this way.

Does anyone have any tips for adjusting the fog-lights now that they are in? The Euro instructions show you with the car 25 feet back from a wall to take some measurements and how to adjust them. I don't have a 25 foot driveway or anything in which to do this. Is there anyway to adjust them decently without being that far away from a wall. Like maybe 10 feet?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having a problem on installing fog lights. I wired my on/off switch write up and installed the lights following this. However, the fog lights don't light up but the illumination on my switch lights up. I did the installation with a NAPA relay, would that be the problem? by the way, i have a 06 rav4. Thank you!

·
Registered
156 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
I placed an order for a fogs kit. With the snow we get in Minnesota, I am looking at bypassing the OEM behavior (fogs only get power when low-beams are active.)

In the wiring diagram, I see a few modules which the fog relay passes through, and I suspect one of the two is responsible for this behavior - either the TL-P Relay or the Main Body ECU. I figure that if I bypass said module, I would circumvent this behavior while still using the existing wiring. Does anyone know which of these it would be?

·
Registered
75 Posts
First I want to thank the OP for making this, as this helped me achieve OEM behaviour without having to figure things out myself, thanks for saving me time and effort! I don't know about some people but I like having things work as if it was OEM installed; even if there are cons to OEM behaviour I'd prefer it anyway.

I was able to find the original denso relay off of ebay for $15, and a switch like the one the OP used for $10 off of ebay also. After installing the relay in its socket and wiring up the switch, everything worked flawlessly and the fog light indicator on the cluster illuminated. Now for the problematic part, the physical install of the actual fog lights.

Maybe I should have done some research before I dived into this project, but I cannot find the wiring harness for my fog lights! I took off the front bumper cover completely and looked everywhere and I just don't see it. Maybe it's just something to do with my Rav4 being a Canadian version? I really don't know :/

What can I do to get my fog lights working? Will I have to switch to a custom harness? Or is the factory harness there and I'm just not looking in the right place?

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Here's a tip for everyone using a set from Trendgear:<br />
The connection between the switch and the wiring harness plug is loose. Use some electrical tape to ensure a secure connection.<br />
<br />
Also, I have a problem with the switch. I soldered the black wire for the illumination to the green wire coming from the light control rheostat, but it is staying dark - both when on and off. The dash indicator and fixtures light up, however. Any suggestions?

Edit: closer inspection shows that it is lit, but just really dim.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all, I know this is an old post but I ran across this while trying to find the wiring of the fog lights. This made my fog light install a breeze cannot thank this forum enough for all the help i've found to mod my 2007 Rav. I only have one thing I would like to add here that might be useful for newbies like myself, and i'm not sure if someone else has made this same observation (I have only read to page 7 of this feed) but while wiring up my switch to the dimmer switch, I tinkered around with my tester and found that the 3rd wire (white with black i think, it was kinda dark) is actually the wire that dims the lights, the purple is the power in and the output from the switch to the instrument cluster is this one. So if you tap into this wire the fog light switch will also dim.
Thanks once again for a great wirte up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Add another thankful Rav owner to the list for this post that began what? 7 Years ago?
Got the same light kit (trendgear) and everything was just as it was back then. I did not have to remove the whole front end as he shows but rather pulled the wheel well back enough to get the dummy plug out & new lights in. They look fantastic & I could not be happier. Now on to the new Nav system w/ backup camera & I will have one nice ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there,

I new here to Rav4World, and I was just looking over your diagram on how to put fog lights onto your Rav4. I'm interested to add a set to my new 2009 (just got it back in Jan.)

My first question to you is what are the best lights to purchase ?? I've been looking online but am not familiar enough with manufactures. My other question is about putting "yellow" lights on instead of clear. How would I go about doing that ??

Thank you for you time and help. The layout of your for adding fog lights is done very well.

John

·
Registered
156 Posts
Anyone from the MN area willing to help me install fogs onto my 2009 Rav? It'll be a paid gig.
I am from the Twin Cities area. I am too stretched thin on time to come over for a full install, but I can meet to give a quick runthrough and point out the obstacles I had to get past on my '07.

PS, do you happen to have Techstream?

301 - 320 of 356 Posts