Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

341 - 356 of 356 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bypassing pre-existing wiring harness

Hey guys.

I just ordered the Trendgear yellow fog light kit and it comes with a connected wiring harness. Am I able to do the original method RiVoT wrote up without using the wiring harness? If so, how do I do that? It just looks like it'll be easier to install into the OEM harness like RiVoT explained in his original post vs. running everything through the firewall and connecting to the battery. Any help would be great!

·
Registered
9 Posts
A little late to the game, but I can confirm that the Canadian 2011 Rav4 2.5L base (VIN# starts with 2) does not have the factory OEM wiring harness tucked aside for the fog lights.

From reading this entire thread, it looks like the US and Japanese models both have the factory wiring harness in place. Not sure why Canadian RAV4s are so different...

I guess I'll have to wait until summer for the more complicated install.

Thanks for the write up, OP :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

Is there any chance that you could make a guide how to wire the cable if using pre-wired cable .for 2018 rav4 hybrid .

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do we need to supply the screws separately?
The kit I ordered from eBay didn’t include any so I’m not sure if I’m missing parts
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys and gals. Sorry to bring this thread back up. I recently picked up a 2008 Rav4 Canada model. I travel a lot for work and decided to add some fog lights for the weather I always seem to be driving through. The vehicle has all the OEM wiring in place for a nice clean install. I have been using this thread along with other online resources and years of doing stuff like this. Not my first rodeo. Basically, I wouldn't be asking for help if my frustration level wasn't through the roof. :mad::wall

So the lights went in smoothly. Fuse was already in there. Relay went in fine. I can trigger the relay by jumping gray wire to ground. It works, lights work. The problem is the stupid switch. :shrug: I've fried 2 of them. The one that came with the kit was the wrong color. Regardless, it was good for experimenting. So, no matter how I hook it up I can't get full functionality. I have tried every possible configuration including the OP's wiring. This gave me fog lights, but also kept the switch on dim all the time. My gray wire and green wire have juice all the time and do the same thing. This is just not right in my book.

I've tried black wire to ground (replacement switch even labeled it as such) I'm going to call this wire 1 as my replacement switch used different colors but was laid out the same internally.
2 center wires I found power the 2 switch led's. Out of desperation I found a switched power source outside of what has been mentioned in this thread. This caused both lights to light up.
So, logically I would guess that the 2nd or 4th wire would trip the relay and light up the "on light", but I just doesn't seem to want to work that way. At this point I would be dang happy if I could just get the lights to work even without switch illumination. I did try an old 3 prong switch I had laying around and was able to make it work just fine. I would just prefer the factory look if possible.

The vehicles wiring seems spot on to everything in this thread, but it sure isn't acting the same.

Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Hey guys and gals. Sorry to bring this thread back up. I recently picked up a 2008 Rav4 Canada model. I travel a lot for work and decided to add some fog lights for the weather I always seem to be driving through. The vehicle has all the OEM wiring in place for a nice clean install. I have been using this thread along with other online resources and years of doing stuff like this. Not my first rodeo. Basically, I wouldn't be asking for help if my frustration level wasn't through the roof. :mad::wall

So the lights went in smoothly. Fuse was already in there. Relay went in fine. I can trigger the relay by jumping gray wire to ground. It works, lights work. The problem is the stupid switch. :shrug: I've fried 2 of them. The one that came with the kit was the wrong color. Regardless, it was good for experimenting. So, no matter how I hook it up I can't get full functionality. I have tried every possible configuration including the OP's wiring. This gave me fog lights, but also kept the switch on dim all the time. My gray wire and green wire have juice all the time and do the same thing. This is just not right in my book.

I've tried black wire to ground (replacement switch even labeled it as such) I'm going to call this wire 1 as my replacement switch used different colors but was laid out the same internally.
2 center wires I found power the 2 switch led's. Out of desperation I found a switched power source outside of what has been mentioned in this thread. This caused both lights to light up.
So, logically I would guess that the 2nd or 4th wire would trip the relay and light up the "on light", but I just doesn't seem to want to work that way. At this point I would be dang happy if I could just get the lights to work even without switch illumination. I did try an old 3 prong switch I had laying around and was able to make it work just fine. I would just prefer the factory look if possible.

The vehicles wiring seems spot on to everything in this thread, but it sure isn't acting the same.

Any help is much appreciated.
The part in the first post that gets me is that "the 2 red wires are wired together for ground". Red wires are never ground. I suggest finding a 12 volt source and testing the button. 2 wires should be for the switch. Continuity with the switch on and not with it off. 2 others wires for the illumination.

i have been meaning to install one of these fog light kits. So interested in your outcome.

·
Registered
2 Posts
:rolleyes: Madness, just madness I say. Anyway, here it goes.
Apparently I don't have enough posts to post images or links. So I'll try to explain the best that I can.

Again, I have a Canada version 2008 Rav4. Whether anything is different or not I'm not sure, but the wiring suggested by the OP wasn't working for me at all. A couple of things that were causing issues for me. Was that the gray wire and the wires at the dimmer switch are hot all the time. This would cause the switch to illuminate even when the key was off.

I can't confirm, but I think some of the issue, at least I was having. Was that the aftermarket switch was intended to work with aftermarket wiring. It was designed to send power rather than provide a switch to ground. Which is what we have to do when tapping into the gray wire. Just speculating.

So my switch had different colors and were labeled. Although internally they appear to be the same switch. I will try to lay this out the best I can.

My switch
Black position 1 Ground
Red position 2 Acc+ this wire provides illumination to the fog light symbol in the switch
Blue position 3 to fog lights or relay ( in this case ground)
Yellow position 4 connect from 12v power source (gray wire)

So switch that comes with the kit
Black position 1 Still ground :wink
Red position 2 Acc+ this wire provides illumination to the fog light symbol in the switch
Yellow position 3 to fog lights or relay ( in this case ground)
red position 4 Connect from 12v power source. (gray wire)

Wire 1 is ground, just accept it lol :wink
Wire 2 is switch illumination. I used an "add a circuit" and connected this to a open switched position in the fuse panel.

Here is where it gets a little iffy. Wire 4 technically wants to light up the led in the switch indicating the fog lights are on. However, wires 3 and 4 are actually the only switched wires. The ground is for switch illumination only. So we need to get the gray wire to ground without illuminating the switch. I was able to do that by taking wire 3 to ground and wire 4 to the gray wire. Everything functions except the led telling you the switch is on, but the light in the dash does tell you that anyway. Wired in this fashion the switch illuminates with the key "on".

So I grounded wires 1 & 3 down by the kick panel. There is already an existing ground junction there. Just add to it.

Obviously I'm not saying this is the end all be all way to wire your switch. I just wanted to add another option in hopes that this may help someone else who may be struggling with getting their switch wired in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok guys. I'm late to the party, having only purchased a 2010 Base a couple of weeks ago. I started reading this lonnnggg stickie, and was very impressed, especially when I saw fog light wiring tied up behind the bumper. I got so excited tthat I bought a trendgear kit on ebay and started installing, beginning with the lights. Easily done from underneath with only loosening the splashguard. I knew that I would be finished shortly as I had in hand my new relay and had prepped the switch wiring and popped out the switch blank. Then disaster struck: Japan made, no wiring under dash to support this project. Back to the drawing board - I read the rest of the posts laying out the same problem.
So, before I either put the original blanks back in, or start from square one with the trendgear kit - has anyone come up with a good way to overcome the missing wiring without taking the front end apart again and running all new wiring?
Thanks.

Joe

·
Registered
940 Posts
Ok guys. I'm late to the party, having only purchased a 2010 Base a couple of weeks ago. I started reading this lonnnggg stickie, and was very impressed, especially when I saw fog light wiring tied up behind the bumper. I got so excited tthat I bought a trendgear kit on ebay and started installing, beginning with the lights. Easily done from underneath with only loosening the splashguard. I knew that I would be finished shortly as I had in hand my new relay and had prepped the switch wiring and popped out the switch blank. Then disaster struck: Japan made, no wiring under dash to support this project. Back to the drawing board - I read the rest of the posts laying out the same problem.
So, before I either put the original blanks back in, or start from square one with the trendgear kit - has anyone come up with a good way to overcome the missing wiring without taking the front end apart again and running all new wiring?
Thanks.

Joe
A 2010 ehh. i thought the gutted the wires in 2012. On of the reasons that I have not tackeled the job yet. Please post the outcoming when you finish this project.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Okk guys. I have done the install. since the underdash wiring was missing from my Japan made 2010 Base model, I took the path of least resistance and installed the complete kit from trendgear, purchased on ebay. It is a pretty straight forward kit, although somewhat universal. No photos here because I am both techno challenged (per my grown kids) and I did nothing differently or "new". I just started at the lights and worked back, running the harness across the front crossmember and securing everything with zip ties. I ended up with a little excess length that I doubled up and zip tied next to the battery. Under the dash, I used an unused and unlabeled fuse location that is hot whenever the key is on, so if I ever neglect to shut the fogs off, I should escape the dreaded dead battery. Also, this way, I can have them on regardless of light switch or dimmer switch positions. My switch harness had 2 reds hooked together, a yellow and and a black. Red to hot gave illuminated the switch and also gives additional visual indicator when the switch is on. Black to ground and yellow to the underhool wiring, being the switched hot feed for the relay. Easy and straight forward. Then getting the yellow through the firewall was the question but not a problem. I went through next to the heater hoses. No drill. everything works well. I do still need to aim them.
Pardon me for rambling. I am sometimes less than concise and have been accused of being verbose.

Joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can anyone confirm if the grey wire underneath the steering wheel triggers the fog light indicator on the dash if it's grounded or exposed to +12V? Reading through all the posts in this thread has given mixed opinions.

Also, is it necessary to have a relay in the factory location just to have the indicator light to turn on? I successfully installed using the aftermarket harness with power tapped from the tail light fuse, but I'd like to improve this setup by also have the fog light indicator on the dash turn on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can anyone confirm if the grey wire underneath the steering wheel triggers the fog light indicator on the dash if it's grounded or exposed to +12V? Reading through all the posts in this thread has given mixed opinions.

Also, is it necessary to have a relay in the factory location just to have the indicator light to turn on? I successfully installed using the aftermarket harness with power tapped from the tail light fuse, but I'd like to improve this setup by also have the fog light indicator on the dash turn on.
I took the time to understand the RAV4 2007 electrical wiring diagram and it looks like the entire fog light circuit (and most other circuits within the car) is negative switched. As a result, this means that the grey wire under the steering wheel must be grounded in order for the dash indicator to turn on. When grounded, this gray wire triggers the main body ECU to switch the fog lamp relay which in turn provides power to the fog lamps when using the OEM harness.

For my particular situation, because the non-OEM wiring harness is positive switched (i.e. +12V on the red wire, GND on the black wire, and switched +12V on the remaining blue wire), I'll need to convert the positive output to a negative output in order to get the fog lamp dash indicator light to turn on. This can be done with a relay wired as indicated below (image credit to the12volt.ca):

By using the above diagram, the blue switched +12V can be wired into pin 86 and the gray wire can be wired into pin 87. Pins 30 and 85 can be grounded to the grounding bolt near the driver's side foot well. By doing this, when +12V is applied to pin 86, pins 87, 30, and 85 are all shorted to ground thus shorting the gray wire to ground when the fog lamp switched is pressed. Pin 87a can remain disconnected (thus forming an open circuit) which is what the gray wire will be normally connected to when the fog light switch is not pressed.

This seems like a lot of work just to get a dash indicator to illuminate. Since the fog light switch already illuminates when the fog lights are on, I think i'll leave it here. Hopefully this information helps anyone else who wants to get the dash indicator to illuminate when using the non-OEM wiring harness.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can anyone upload the pictures back. Im trying to see where the OEM relay location is, or wether or not im missing a wire harness under the dash.

341 - 356 of 356 Posts