Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody explain me the best way of calculating mileage in my RAV4..

Dealer gave me a full tank RAV4 but i didn't calculate the mileage.
I filled the tank second time and turned on the trip meter..
It is now 240 miles in the trip meter but near to reserve...
Rav4 has 15.4 gallon tank. How much is the reserve?

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
you don't need to run it low. Just fill up, take the miles (from your trip)/gallons (gallons you just pumped) for your mpg. Reset the trip for the next tank.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next time you fill it up just note down the mileage you have put on it since you last filled it up and divide by the number of gallons it took to fill it back up. Bingo you have your mileage. If you are looking for the actual range you are able to travel between fill ups it's even easier. Just fill it up, drive till the car dies due to lack of fuel, and note the distance between them. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just for the curiosity... what kind of gas mileages have you got with 4wd I4? Think buying new RAV but not sure about the real gas mileage.

·
Registered
420 Posts
flyingn said:
I would not go below a 1/4 tank.. ever.... no reason to.. here is no reserve. When you run out the truck stops and you risk damaging the fuel pump
No, the pump is quite safe. What you actually risk damaging is the catalitic converter. When car runs out of gas, there may be a moment when the mixture gets too lean to burn properly. When unburnt mixture is forced into the exhaust, it can backfire and then chunks of catalist fly out of the pipe along with the explosive noise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts