Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
The car has 140,000 miles and the spark plugs have never been changed out.
Is it easy to change and how?
Depends on the engine. If it's a 4 cylinder, it is very easy and should be pretty obvious (if it's not obvious, please get help with it). If it's a V6, the front 3 are very easy, the rear 3 are moderately easy, but time consuming. Here's a thgread on V6 plug changes: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/87788-spark-plug-change-2007-v6-diy-not-too-complicated.html

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,726 Posts
The car has 140,000 miles and the spark plugs have never been changed out.
Is it easy to change and how?
It should be a piece of cake since you have the I-4. You will need a ratchet with extension and a spark plug socket that has the little rubber insert to grab the plug inside.

1. Remove the plastic engine cover. Pull straight up and it should just pop off.
2. Remove the electrical connector from the coil. Be careful not to crack the little plastic latch.
3. Remove the small bolt holding the coil down.
4. Pull the coil straight up from the plug. It may be stubborn, but it will pull with enough force.
5. Put your socket down into the hole and onto the spark plug. Unscrew counter-clockwise. When loose, it should pull out and be held by the rubber insert in the socket.
6. Replace with the proper Denso iridium plugs. DO NOT attempt to gap them--the iridium tips are very easily broken. They are pre-gapped from the factory.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depends on the engine. If it's a 4 cylinder, it is very easy and should be pretty obvious (if it's not obvious, please get help with it). If it's a V6, the front 3 are very easy, the rear 3 are moderately easy, but time consuming. Here's a thgread on V6 plug changes: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/87788-spark-plug-change-2007-v6-diy-not-too-complicated.html
Thank you. It's a 4 cylinder. Do you have a link here for the 4 cylinder spark plugs changes?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It should be a piece of cake since you have the I-4. You will need a ratchet with extension and a spark plug socket that has the little rubber insert to grab the plug inside.

1. Remove the plastic engine cover. Pull straight up and it should just pop off.
2. Remove the electrical connector from the coil. Be careful not to crack the little plastic latch.
3. Remove the small bolt holding the coil down.
4. Pull the coil straight up from the plug. It may be stubborn, but it will pull with enough force.
5. Put your socket down into the hole and onto the spark plug. Unscrew counter-clockwise. When loose, it should pull out and be held by the rubber insert in the socket.
6. Replace with the proper Denso iridium plugs. DO NOT attempt to gap them--the iridium tips are very easily broken. They are pre-gapped from the factory.
Thank you so much

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts