Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall seeing some very specific instructions on how to check oil level when doing the consumption test - something like reading it with the engine warm within so many minutes of shutdown, or something equally picky.

However I can't seem to find them now - they don't seem to be in the SB itself. Anyone know where I can find them, please let me know.

BTW my test was a fiasco. Went in at exactly 1300 miles to have the level read and they said I was supposed to have an appointment, and the soonest they could do it was the following week. We needed the car that weekend so I said the hell with it and pulled off all the seals and topped up the oil, and found it down almost exactly 1 qt.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
From the instructions:

With the engine at operating temperature and turned off, check the oil level on the dipstick.

• Park the vehicle on level ground. After turning off the engine, wait more than five minutes for the oil to drain back into the bottom of the engine.
  • Wipe the dipstick clean.
  • Reinsert the dipstick fully.
  • Holding a rag under the end, pull the dipstick out and check the oil level.
  • Wipe the dipstick and reinsert it fully

Where I live the most difficult part is finding a level place to park. I use the level apps in my iPhone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts