Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
problem 1

I'm missing the bolts that hold the plastic covers onto the underside of the engine that keep water, dirt, salt and stuff from getting into my engine bay, as well as the ones holding the power steering pump resevoir to the side of the engine. I figure I'll try a junk yard next chance I get, but incase there's nothing around do you guys know where I can find out what bolts I need to get to replace them?

Problem 2

I have oil on my engine from top to bottom and want to clean it off. I was told I can power wash it, what more do I need to know so I can do this safely and not damage sensors or anything else?

The meat of it all..

I'm about to get back in over my head. Cars leaking oil badly out of front passenger side of the engine, though theres oil from the hood to the floor so it's hard to specifically diagnose, but I'm guessing oil pump because it only happens when the car is on and for a little bit after + my friend accidentally removed the oil pump instead of the water pump this past summer and we reused the same gasket. I'll do the valve cover gasket while I'm at it. If these don't work, I'll do the oil pan gasket... Any knowledge or wisdom anyone can part with would be great. In the realm of mechanics, I am a dumbass (read: New).

Edit: Just to add, I also have a bad valve seal or piston ring in the third cylinder. I'm not ready to think that this would cause so much oil to fall out of the engine, but you would know better.

·
Registered
609 Posts
If the ring problem is letting a lot of blow-by into the crankcase, the oil could be blown out past the seals.
With the engine running remove the oil filler cap and see if it looks like a steam engine on a hard pull.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Look on eBay for the bolts, even try .co.uk if no luck on .com, the bolts you want for the splash guards are M6 I believe, (can anyone confirm?) all the bolts should be metric, I know your car was probably built in the US but surely they used the same hardware. All the bolts therefore start with M and the number is the diameter of the thread, 6 in this case being 6mm you'll have to measure a similar one to get this. I have swapped loads of my rusty bolts for new stainless steel ones. There may be exceptions to what I'm saying but so far all the M bolts I bought have fitted.
Regards the oil, no way should you have reused the oil pump gasket, it must be leaking from there and when you tear it down again buy the strange shape gasket they call a seal and the oil seal for the pump rotor from a Toyota dealer. I use Rockauto a lot but the pump gasket and seal they sent me were rubbish, the strange shape gasket was thinner and the seal was too tight on the rotor, sorry, I forget the brand, anyway the parts from Toyota with a few other small items were about $30, well worth it. I dont want to go in there again!
It could also be the cover gasket as you mentioned, they leak too.
Washing the engine is very risky, there's no secret way to do this successfully, if you have to do it then cover all the electrics, the plug holes, the coils, the fuse boxes, the MAP, you get the idea, and have plenty of WD40 around afterwards to dry everything out and cover everything with. Make sure it's not hot too (the engine I mean). Be careful and good luck.

·
Super Moderator
799 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@ Roundabout

No, that doesn't happen, so good sign!

@ Ken, Mike, and Slimjim

Thank you guys for the quick response! I've been getting my manuals ready and it looks like it was actually the Oil Pump Body that was removed from the oil pump case and the gasket is the one seated between the block and the case WHICH requires removing the oil pan, something I personally have never done.

Now, I'm thinking go in the first time and replace just the O-Ring between the Oil Pump Body and the Oil Pump Case, which means getting into the nitty gritty of the timing mechanisms.. And just hoping it works because the only alternative means getting in deeper and doing all three. Do you think I should just do all three? Maybe I should wait until I get that far and decide if that's where the oil is coming from? Thank you again, and I'll start my search for the bolts tomorrow when I start getting organized.

Edit: I think I already know the answer, it's just daunting. I'll have to get in there and identify the problem.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The strange shape rubber gasket from memory, fits between the pump cover and the pump body, since you didn't disturb the pump body I would just replace the strange shape gasket and the rotor seal. Sorry, I don't have a book or anything to refer to.
I'd doubt the other gasket would have leaked unless you disturbed it, perhaps someone else on here can tell us if it's likely?
Good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the third time I've written something to post here, hopefully I remember to send it this time.

That was a cinch, even with taking a break for a nice meal and monkeying with the Crank Pulley for about an hour before going out and buying a puller, we got it done in about 5 hours. The old gasket was hard and broken. Fixed the major leak, I'm a bum though and still need to do the valve cover to see if that solves the less significant leak up top.

You guys are great, thank you for what you all do here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found some ravs at the junk yard and the bolts holding the power steering fluid resevoir broke off of those too so don't anyone who reads this later feel dumb if it happens to you. Same with the tensioner bolts on the alternator, those things go to shish apparently.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I can't remember the size of the bolts you need for these parts but if you know the approximate length then do like I said and go online and buy some metric bolts, I went for stainless steel so they'll never rust, the sizes go up from M6 which was the splash guard size, you likely need M8 for the pump and alternator but it could be M10 so grab a few of each, get some washers too, good luck!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yup, I think they used the lowest grade fasteners possible in any non stressed application. They snap if you look at them harshly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A couple of handy tips for salvaging bolts from wrecks:

* If you're not in a hurry... apply a few drops of brake fluid to the bolt or exposed thread before trying to loosen/salvage it te following day.

* Crack the hold by tightening the nut or bolt by a fraction before loosening it... saved me plenty of drill-outs...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts