Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slidell Toyota recommended using McGuiars Interior Detailer Cleaner as a substitute for the Toyota Cleaner. This comes in a spray bottle and as Wipes at any Auto Store and you must use a microfibre towel to rub it in and dry on tough stains. Since the seats are synthetic Leather and not real leather, only weather and alcohol base cleaners are allowed, no cleaners or conditioners containing oil. McGuiars Interior Detailer Cleaner has sunblock additives to protect the seats and dash and door upholstery from UV light that damages those materials. The Toyota site provides a routine cleaning procedure, but does not mention any solution other than toyota products for routine cleaning of stains like spilled coffee. I picked up both the spray, wipes, and microfibre towels on sale at Advance today. Hope this puts this to bed. Remember no oil base solutions like Armoral on the seats, Dash, and doors. The Leather Steering wheel and Shift Arm can be cleaned with the same and a conditioner.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm glad you brought this up. I've never had anything but cloth seats, so when I purchased my RAV4 Hybrid Limited with ventilated seats, I opted for the dealer's $299 interior protection. There's some protectant they put on the seats. They also say for 3 years they will clean any interior stain free of charge, even if they have to replace materials.

I'm thinking this was probably a bad deal, but I got nervous seeing the guy who posted the pic of the sunblock stain on his new seats.

OK, I'm fully ready to be told it's all just a waste of money. I wasn't prepared on this last-minute choice. It hasn't been done yet, so I should be able to get my money back.

·
Premium Member
7,912 Posts
In over 4 years of SofTex ownership in our Toyotas, just a damp cloth is all I've ever had to use except for evergreen pitch which came right off with hand sanitizer leaving no trace. The owner's manual has specific cleaning instructions for synthetic leather (SofTex).

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm glad you brought this up. I've never had anything but cloth seats, so when I purchased my RAV4 Hybrid Limited with ventilated seats, I opted for the dealer's $299 interior protection. There's some protectant they put on the seats. They also say for 3 years they will clean any interior stain free of charge, even if they have to replace materials.

I'm thinking this was probably a bad deal, but I got nervous seeing the guy who posted the pic of the sunblock stain on his new seats.

OK, I'm fully ready to be told it's all just a waste of money. I wasn't prepared on this last-minute choice. It hasn't been done yet, so I should be able to get my money back.
The typical house wife knows that when you spill something get to it right away with a little cold water and a cotton dish cloth. Coffee leaves a stain so, you need something a little stronger. The McGuiar Interior detail or cleaner works out well and applied with only a microfiber cloth so it does not scratch your seat covers. Stains are more noticeable on the lighter color seats like grey and almond and not so much on black. I wash my car once a week at the local car wash that applies both chamois and high pressure wash; and add all their waxes, wheel cleaners, and tire shine after heavy road grime only. I apply nufinish car wax which is a consumer best by rated number 2 by consumer reports once a year and during a cool month, McGuiar premium was was rated number 1, but $10 more than nufinish, and they were close enough for consumer reports to call it a Best Buy. I have used both over the years and consider them equal except for the cost.

Remember the synthetic leather is a high quality thin vinyl and be careful with putting heavy or sharp objects on them. If putting in a car seat, consider placing a towel between the kid booster seat and car seat. There has been some on the forum mentioning such rips. Mechanics should keep screwdrivers out of their back pockets because rips have occurred on vinyl, cloth, leather, and synthetic leather because of their carelessness and cover up their mistake by saying it was there before. Owners check that driver seat before and after each service and don't let the shop owner off without repairing, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just want to say putting a towel underneath a car seat is not a properly installed or safe way to install a car seat. I have had car seats on leather seats and have never had a puncture problem. Putting them on a towel opens it up to them slipping off the seat in a bad crash. Your kids are more important than indented seats.

·
Registered
750 Posts
lol, that photo of the sunblock stain came from me... It's inevitable with kids & summer.

While I was at Walmart on the weekend, I picked up a bottle of McGuiar's based on @morellwj3 's recommendation. But what I picked up was Meguiar's Leather Cleaner & Conditioner Spray. Did I pick up the wrong product? @morellwj3 wrote about the Quik Interior Detailer Cleaner... Should I return the Leather Cleaner and get the Interior Detailer?

·
Premium Member
7,912 Posts
I used the interior detailer on the hard plastic kick panels and sill molding along with a magic eraser to remove scuff marks, it didn't completely remove them, but helped.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Most people can't install a car seat correctly. I have put a towel down and then a car seat protection pad and installed the car seat and had it inspected. It passed. In discussion about "not having..." the Fireman said most people just don't tighten everything correctly so by not having them put something down makes it easier to show how to do it with less opportunities of improper install.

Even with the above installed mine left imprints in my seats and it took a long time to relax out. The "theory" that the Softex seats are thin material would have me a tad concerned as we still have one in a booster.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol, that photo of the sunblock stain came from me... It's inevitable with kids & summer.

While I was at Walmart on the weekend, I picked up a bottle of McGuiar's based on @morellwj3 's recommendation. But what I picked up was Meguiar's Leather Cleaner & Conditioner Spray. Did I pick up the wrong product? @morellwj3 wrote about the Quik Interior Detailer Cleaner... Should I return the Leather Cleaner and get the Interior Detailer?
I use Mequiar's Quik Interior Detailer Cleaner G13616, no conditioner. Does not contain oil. My recommendations would be to only use this or any product sparingly when you cannot clean the Softex seats and Soft Touch Vinyl dash and doors with just a microfibre damp cloth with warm water to remove grime. Anything you use should be only a waterbase cleaning solution, and no oil base solvents at all. Toyota Dealers have recommended the Meguiar's cleaning solution, but at least dealer posted to use Meguiar's cleaner and conditioner. Toyota says different in their manual and more in line with what I am doing. Always test any solution in a spot that is not visible. Also make sure it says it is UV Safe to use.

I pasted exactly what is in the 2019 RAV4 User Manual for cleaning both interior and exterior today under the RAV4 Generation 5 general forum. If you recently purchased a new car from Toyota, you should have received an invitation to join the Toyota online customer service and you can download the all the operator manuals for your RAV4, I find it easier to read in larger print with my aging eyes.

You should be able to take back the conditioner and exchange it for the G13616 that is in small print on the back label. I buy such things in the store until I am sure they work etc..

·
Registered
750 Posts
You should be able to take back the conditioner and exchange it for the G13616 that is in small print on the back label. I buy such things in the store until I am sure they work etc..
Thanks for the great info! I dropped by a Walmart on my way home from work and exchanged for the Quik Interior Detailer Cleaner.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I still haven't let my dealer put protectant on my seats. I'm wondering if that will kill the new car smell.

I'm not sure if I want to press for my $299 back or let them treat the seats.

I'm thinking 3 years guarantee that will clean the stains or replace the seat might be worth it, especially since they will also clean the carpets.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Ive had these marks appear after the first time I attempted to clean the dash with a new microfiber cloth. Has anyone else experienced this damage and knows if it's reversible !?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I still haven't let my dealer put protectant on my seats. I'm wondering if that will kill the new car smell.

I'm not sure if I want to press for my $299 back or let them treat the seats.

I'm thinking 3 years guarantee that will clean the stains or replace the seat might be worth it, especially since they will also clean the carpets.
All kidding aside, farting will sink into any fabric and ruin your new car odor. Your body odor collected in your clothing will sink into the car fabric and air as well. Those little clip on deodorizers and perfumes will on your vents will tailor to your smell likes or dislikes depending on what you put in the car. Toyota Dealerships should know what is best for Toyota Vehicles. I have had great success on my Toyota leather seats and upholstery using a damp clean micro-fibre cloth so far even with coffee stains if I get them within 24 hours. Kid stuff may take something stronger. Keep oils products away from any type leather seats, will eventually destroy them. Too much water is also bad, damp cloths.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have tried a few different things, including the Mequiar's Quik Interior Detailer Cleaner. It's not bad at all, but I prefer this:

Chemical Guys Total Interior Cleaner. Commonly found at Walmart. I would never, ever recommend buying anything from the Chemical Guys themselves -- I tried that a couple of years ago, and it took a week and a half for them to deliver over what was actually about a 14-hour drive up the freeway from their shipping location. Still, I have preferred some of their things over just about anything else, including this. Similar to the Meguiar's, this doesn't actually change the look or feel of the Softex seats -- it just cleans them. I have tried other cleaners that make them much darker and slick-feeling, which I don't like at all.

I split my Softex seat cleaning somewhere between "just a microfiber cloth dampened with water" and the Chemical Guys cleaner, depending upon how icky or dirty I or my passengers might have been when last sitting in the vehicle. But, I almost always give the seats, shifter, steering wheel, and other surfaces I touch a quick cleaning when I park the vehicle for the evening. It's all very much why I prefer Softex to anything else, from cloth to leather -- Softex is just very easy to clean and keep cleaned.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Armorall will damage the dashboard. The sun heats up Vinyl and Leatherite materials. Will initially cause color fading and then hardening and cracking over time. Leather is actually porous so the oils seap in and take much longer to crack, but the sun UV Radiation will cause discoloring over time. Ne ver use Armorall Products on Leather Upholstery seats and dashboard, similar products to Armorall cause same damage. Should check to validate that whatever you use has UV Protections and not an oil solvent. Silicon with UV protection is best protector.

·
Registered
🇨🇦 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
500 Posts
View attachment 150009
Ive had these marks appear after the first time I attempted to clean the dash with a new microfiber cloth. Has anyone else experienced this damage and knows if it's reversible !?
Talk about déjà vu. I had the same marks doing the same thing...

I got rid of mine with a warm water filled mist-spray bottle, and some elbow grease with a microfibre towel - the yellow ones from Costco specifically, but any should do. Got rid of it for me

·
Registered
17 Posts
Talk about déjà vu. I had the same marks doing the same thing...

I got rid of mine with a warm water filled mist-spray bottle, and some elbow grease with a microfibre towel - the yellow ones from Costco specifically, but any should do. Got rid of it for me
Do you have any photos of a before and after ?
I'm very hesitant to rub a microfiber towel on the the dash now after this experience ?

·
Registered
561 Posts
View attachment 150009
I would first try a Magic Eraser on a small part of the scratch. If that did not work, I would try Maguire's All Purpose Cleaner. Again on a small part of the scratch. I would be shocked if one of these methods did not work.

Follow up with 303 protectant.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts