Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine is super clean right now, and I would like to keep it that way. What do you guys use to keep your engine clean? I read its safe to use water to hose off grease, are there any areas to avoid when using water? Any helpful tips on keeping an engine clean would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I use Simple Green or Orange Power on metal parts, wipe off with a rag, vinyl cleaner/protectant ( Stoner's Trim Shine) on vinyl and plastic parts. It's risky to use a degreaser and hose or power washer under the hood, you have to know exactly what to cover and it's hit or miss.
The V6's have that plastic shroud that covers the top of the engine which makes it much easier to keep clean. :wink:

OC

·
Registered
269 Posts
I had always washed the engine compartment on my Mitsubishi Expo, and the rest of my vehicles, until a few months back. I washed it as normal and about a mile away from the car wash the engine died. I got it started back up but it was chugging bad, real bad. I knew I had got something wet I should not have. Got it home, barely, left the hood open for a day and it started and ran fine, but I will never wash an engine compartment again. When I had the timing belt changed around 100,000 miles my mechanic made a comment to me how he could eat his lunch off the engine, it was spotless. Felt pretty smart that day, but the day it was chugging I felt like a dope. :shock:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Youp do Not ever Steam Clean, Wash or Power Wash anything inside the engine compartment.

I use the Shop vac to vacoom the dust off and a wet rag with mild detergent to wipe it clean. It takes time but that is the way to do it. On Plastic parts I simply use Armor All.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts