Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have water spot looking stains on the outside part of my driver's seat. This is from the winter, after a day of getting snow while at work, then opening the door and the snow landing on the seat. It's also from opening my window to get the mail in the rain.

Any ideas on what I can use to spot clean these stains? Nobody can see it, but I don't like to see it when I get in and out of my RAV.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Simple Green

Usually "simple green" when mixed in some water WORKS. You can use a brush, dip in that fluid (in a bucket) and try scrubbing it off. Make sure you air/sun/light it after you are done, if not vacuum it.

It works for me.

Some people here may have better fluids/recommendations for you.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Are your seats leather or fabric?

Since I'm a guy, seat cleaning consists of spraying Febreze on the seats a few times each year, and an occasional vacuum.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My seats are fabric.
The stains look like waterspot-type stains.

Thanks for the replies. :D

·
Registered
986 Posts
I think I know what you're talking about, since I have some stains like that on my seats.

You can try one of those cans of upholstery cleaner with the brush on top, available at any auto parts store or Wal-Mart. I've found that sometimes whatever you use to clean up a stain often just makes it bigger, so it's really a process of trial and error until you find something that works.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I washed my seats (fabric type) on my Rav 2002 with ordinary soap (good old fashioned soap) dissolved in water and a soft brush or sponge. Do not use detergent since it leaves stains. First of all vacuum clean the seat twice to remove all dust so that you do not smear the dust back on to the seat upholstry while washing. The fabric is quite tough and I applied the soapy water very liberally and then rubbed well with the sponge. Then I wiped a few times with a clean sponge dipped in clean water. Then I let it dry for a few days with car windows open. This was the advice that I got from a car cleaning centre guy. He said don't be afraid to have the seats soaking wet. Just allow it to dry afterwards for a few days. I would never do this during winter or the seats will never dry, so summer is the time to do it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I purchased leather seats on my Rav 4 for that very reason. I used to own a 1991 Celica with velour like seats. It was never a problem.
They offer the same seats in the Highlander but not on the Rav 4.

My son has a 2001 Celica with the same problem. We used Bissell's Little Green Clean Machine. It is primarily used for for cleaning upholstery and spot cleaning rugs in your home or auto etc. It has its own special liquid cleaner that you dilute with water in the machine. It sells between $65-$100.00.

It has a small turbo rotating suction brush or just a plain suction attachment. You just spray on the solution through the vacuum suction attachment and immediatley suction up the cleaning solution. It gets the water spots and any soiling out from the fabric or rugs and suctions the majority of the water/solution out and the fabric of the car seats dries in a few hours with the windows open. They make a prespotter for difficult stains. Of course there are some stains that will never come out depending on what they are and how long you have allowed them to set in the fabric.

I bought Scotch Guard protector for the upholstery but as of yet my son has not applied it. Usually when I have used Scotch Guard protector before on car rug mats, couches, chairs, carpets etc; the water, milk, juice or soil can be easily blotted up as it beads up on top. There are several different Scotch Guard Spray products just be sure to get the right one for the fabric you are trying to protect. Don't forget to thoroughly vacuum and clean the fabric or rug first.

One would hope by now that Toyota would have corrected the problem or stopped making automobile seats with that fabric.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts