Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stored some cleaning supplies in a plastic bag in the hidden rear compartment and the cap to a bottle of goo gone must not have been on tight (kicking myself for this) and it's completely spilled onto the carpet. We're talking practically an entire bottle here. Not sure of the best way to clean this up. Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Soak the carpet, vaccum with wet vac, put piles of newspaper and replace them as they get wet. Put some heavy items on the newspaper to maximize contact e.g. bricks, logs, ...
Do not use the cover.

Maybe also remove the 3 rubber grommet./covers at the bottom of the pan to help with the air circulation. But you would have to put them if driving through rain or puddles.

·
Super Moderator
11,245 Posts
I'd remove the carpet and powerwash it. They let it dry thoroughly in the sun. That's what I did with my 200,000 mile Odyssey. Took some time but had essentially new carpet when done.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I stored some cleaning supplies in a plastic bag in the hidden rear compartment and the cap to a bottle of goo gone must not have been on tight (kicking myself for this) and it's completely spilled onto the carpet. We're talking practically an entire bottle here. Not sure of the best way to clean this up. Any thoughts?
Thanks
I have a '10 3-seater, so I'm not sure where the hidden rear compartment is. Is that where my seats are stowed in the way-back? Point being, is the spill contained in this compartment, or is it spilled out onto the passenger area carpet?
I had to deal with a blocked A/C drain couple of years ago and should have gone with Doc D's suggestion of removing the carpet(in my case to dry it. In your case to wash and dry it).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry didn't see your whole message. Yeah, its only in the compartment. How difficult is it to remove/replace the carpet? It seems pretty attached.

·
Super Moderator
11,245 Posts
Sorry didn't see your whole message. Yeah, its only in the compartment. How difficult is it to remove/replace the carpet? It seems pretty attached.
Sean I wondered were you're at with the cleanup. I finally got to take a look at mine today. You'd have to remove several of the plastic housings to get the carpet out but they just pop out with a solid pull and pop back in. Just be absolutely sure to wear gloves when doing it otherwise you can get nasty cuts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sean I wondered were you're at with the cleanup. I finally got to take a look at mine today. You'd have to remove several of the plastic housings to get the carpet out but they just pop out with a solid pull and pop back in. Just be absolutely sure to wear gloves when doing it otherwise you can get nasty cuts.
Hey Dr Dyno,
I haven't done it yet :serious as I've been busy and wasn't sure exactly how I was going to go about doing it (if I would try to take the carpet out).

So you were able to remove it? What/where are the plastic housings you're talking about? I don't want to break anything.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,245 Posts
For just the carpet that's in the small compartment?
Yes, wherever the carpet goes under a plastic panel, such as the rear sill and the inner wheel well panels they will need to be removed to get to any fasteners that may be holding the carpet down or at least lifted enough for access. It looks like big job but isn't that bad IF you protect your hands. Start with the rear sill cover and you'll get the idea. I've removed it to install trailer light wiring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts