Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Got me laughing on that one Rick! :) And you're very welcome.

I only put the time in to illustrate how easy it was on a RAV4, what with all the project posts about switches :eek: & plastic pipes! :eek: :eek: :eek:

But I'm thinking with some jumping jacks, situps and wind sprints to warm up these 69 year young parts, and starting with an empty glove box, I could maybe knock a few seconds off pretty easy. :thumbs_up:

Ahh but then, I'll just cool it :cool: & wait for someone to break it. No use of raising the bar too high is there? :shrug:
Perhaps we could make it the first event in the RAV4 Olympics? To keep it fair, we could divide the event into age divisions so that the youngsters wouldn't be as embarrassed at being bested by some old men...........And, it could make history by being the first event open to both men and women. :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
16 Posts
No voltage on Red wire

I'm not getting any voltage on the Red lead (of the wiring harness plug). I am measuring 12.75 volts at the battery.

I have tried with the ignition switch on "ACC", as well as the engine running.

Any ideas on why I can't seem to get any voltage on the red lead?

My vehicle:2009 RAV4 base model

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I'm not getting any voltage on the Red lead (of the wiring harness plug).
Did you unplug the connector before taking your reading?. The 12v is coming out of the TPMS ECU and feeding the red wire. There will be no voltage on the red wire when it is unplugged.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the tip

Plugging in the connector did indeed put voltage on the red wire. Thanks, I soldered a wire between the red and pink posts on the ECU and the light stays off!:)

·
Super Moderator
11,204 Posts
Plugging in the connector did indeed put voltage on the red wire. Thanks, I soldered a wire between the red and pink posts on the ECU and the light stays off!:)
Correct, the ECU drops the 12V input to 5V on the red wire for the TPMS receiver mounted in the rear pillar. Altho your jumper does work by putting the 5V on the pink wire to the gauge cluster, I don't recommend it w/o disconnecting the pin wire from the ECU because you are backfeeding 5v into an ECU output.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Soooooo.... as someone about to take delivery of a new 2012 Sport V6- please tell me why I might want to disable the TPMS????
Thanks-
Wes

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
switching to winter tires and back.
I have heard that you have to reprogramme the unit with dealer or tire specilalist every time you switch the sets. this adds up in $$$.

Florida ... I suppose you'll have only one set of tires. No change required :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Whoops!!! Sorry, I read the first page of this sticky and went no further before asking!!! *DOH* I should have known better! I just missed the page indicator at the bottom before writing my question!!
Hmmm..... seems to me with all the expertise around here that someone ought to be able to figure out what is required of the "reprogramming" of the unit instead- so that it could be maintained when tires are changed?? Kind of like flashing an eprom somewhere or something??
And actually, Vanib- this will be an issue for me, as my wife and I are planning on moving up to upstate NY when we retire at the end of next year... so we, too will be dealing with snow tires!
Wes

·
Registered
44 Posts
Now that I went back and read the WIKI info on TPMS- and again, as someone not even owning one yet (hopefully I'll take delivery within the next 10 days!)- if you lose a bit of air in your tires, and have to pump one up- I assume the sensor will once again detect proper pressure- and the light will go out? Does anyone know what the tolerance of this system is??? In other words, if you lose 2-3 psi, I am guessing it'll flag an alert? And I assume that the tires are set to the proper pressure on delivery.... What should the tire pressure be on a new Sport V6 (not with the run-flats, the regular version without the appearance package)?
Wes

·
Registered
169 Posts
We switch over to snow tires and dedicated wheels without TPMS every winter. It doesn't bother us that the warning light stays on, or you could temporarily place a piece of black tape over the light, or disable the system as indicated in this thread. When we reinstall the stock wheels and tires in the spring the light goes out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Soooooo.... as someone about to take delivery of a new 2012 Sport V6- please tell me why I might want to disable the TPMS????
Thanks-
Wes
Mine used to work OK...but something changed and even if 4 tires plus spare are at proper inflation, the light stays on. It probably is a malfunction in a sensor....or the puter needs resetting. I just took the bezel off and put black tape over the light. Oh...and I check pressure now and then.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have a 2012 Canadian Rav4 w/ 17" alloy wheels. Can I tell by looking at the tire valve if I have TPMS or not? I have a black rubber stem valve that looks like any other vehicle without TPMS. I've seen Toyotas with the metal valve with TPMS but I don't have that.

·
Registered
171 Posts
So when the system is disabled my question is: does the TPMS warning light throw a code on the computer that's going to prevent a valid inspection?

This would be a MUCH more useful system if the computer had 10 memory slots for (2) sets of 5 wheels each. Just flip A or B.
Supposedly the reprogramming of 5 sensors at the dealer is $100. Plus the remount, of course. That's $200 a year that owners are "supposed to" pay if switching snows on separate wheels. ridiculous.

Also, there's no intelligent data. I almost might go for this if there was readout that gave actual pressure of each wheel. But just a yellow idiot light going off is no help. Is one of them high? Low? two or three low? One low and one high? Add the fact that they can go off when it's colder in the morning than it was the day before... Like today. temp might get to 70 today. Very well could be 35 tomorrow AM (Northern VT). Light goes off. Big help.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Why make it difficult? Just follow Fred's advice/instructions from post#22 and the problem is solved. Its what I did and it works like a charm. Of course, it does require some personal responsibility on the part of the owner to check the tire pressure on a regular basis and not rely on an idiot light to do the job for you........My sensors will remain disabled until I'm ready to sell the Rav at which time, I'll restore it to pristine condition in about 30 seconds flat.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,922 Posts
Have y'all seen the new Nissan commercial? When you fill the tires to the right pressure, the TPMS honks the horn to tell you to stop!

I read somewhere that the RAV4 TPMS has pressure AND temperature data available for all 5 tires. They just cheaped out on the display.

·
Super Moderator
11,204 Posts
Carbon is correct. The TPMS is an independent one, doesn't set any codes just lights the warning indicator.

It also doesn't alarm on overpressure. Some on the forum run their tires high and 100F roads push them even higher. No one's mentioned any alarms.

Anyone who thinks a basic low-warning TPMS is useless has probably never ruined a tire or suffered a flat under less than ideal conditions. Being able to repair a partially worn tire beats buying 4 new ones because one went bad on a 4WD vehicle w/o you knowing it.

As for not indicating which one it is, I have a solution: GET OUT AND LOOK!

I bought the system Carbon linked to for my Accord. $100 on amazon.com

·
Registered
847 Posts
I guess if you have run-flats it's really important you don't disable the pressure warning light because you can't tell with run-flats if the tire is low on air, and if it is and you keep driving, especially at high speed, you could end up DOA

41 - 60 of 176 Posts