Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 167 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,118 Posts
You know, if I was driving down the road and had a tire going down I just can't think of any reason why I wouldn't want to know about it. :shrug:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Will this also work on a 2010 RAV4, I have a 2010 Sport with after market wheels, the light drives me nuts, I added an Orange P409 TPMS, that works great.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You know, if I was driving down the road and had a tire going down I just can't think of any reason why I wouldn't want to know about it. :shrug:
In general, yes, I'd agree. But if it costs several hundred dollars a year to have the things registered to the computer...that's a lot of money! And still, at least on this vehicle, you don't even get an actual pressure reading at each tire. That, for me at least, would seem worth paying something for. You could see that one tire, for instance, was going low by a few pounds, then a few more, etc...and know there's a particular issue. Just having another idiot light seems "almost" not worth the hassle. Especially with false alarms like when it's cold in the AM after a warmer day before.

·
Super Moderator
9,118 Posts
Will this also work on a 2010 RAV4, I have a 2010 Sport with after market wheels, the light drives me nuts, I added an Orange P409 TPMS, that works great.
The 3.3k resistor as outlined in post 22 should not only work well on your 2010, but also on any Toyota with TPMS.

·
Super Moderator
9,118 Posts
In general, yes, I'd agree. But if it costs several hundred dollars a year to have the things registered to the computer...that's a lot of money! And still, at least on this vehicle, you don't even get an actual pressure reading at each tire. That, for me at least, would seem worth paying something for. You could see that one tire, for instance, was going low by a few pounds, then a few more, etc...and know there's a particular issue. Just having another idiot light seems "almost" not worth the hassle. Especially with false alarms like when it's cold in the AM after a warmer day before.
Agree. My point is how dumb is it to defeat a free system. If all it takes is putting a few more pounds in each tire during the winter (which you should do anyway) just to avoid the "hassle" of the idiot light coming on, I don't think the light is the idiot.

I certainly don't like the fact that the system is set up to make the dealers hundreds of dollars off people who need to run winter tires on separate rims. If that was my case I'd spend $100 and buy a separate system for the snows like fredpayne did and this Fred did for his '06 Accord.

On my 2001 truck & dyno trailer I'm running a Pressure Pro monitor with pressure readouts for each of the 8 tires. It cost me $500 but has saved at least two tires when the valve stems developed leaks. Also let me watch the pressure go down and pull the rig over safely. Another advantage is the sensors mount on the stock valve stem so they're easy to move from one trailer to the other now that I have two dyno trailers.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
In general, yes, I'd agree. But if it costs several hundred dollars a year to have the things registered to the computer...that's a lot of money!
I doubt your supposition that " it costs several hundred dollars a year to have the things registered to the computer". I don't know what it would cost to have the sensors reprogrammed at the dealer, but I doubt it is more than $100 at most dealers. You don't have to get that done at a dealer anyway.

Check with whoever swaps your tires. It may be $20 extra to program the other sensors in during a change-out. http://www.walmart.com/cp/Tires-Services/495845 If you swap your own tires, you could consider the ATEQ TPMS Quickset Tool ATEQ TPMS Quickset Tool
ATEQ QUICKSET TPMS RESET TOOL SCAN SCANNER PROGRAMMING RELEARN LEARN ACTIVATION | eBay to reprogram your own... it costs about $150. You would still have to buy the sensors for your spare wheels. Those show from $30 to $72 each plus shipping at Rock Auto.

Using the resistor + aftermarket TPMS for winters seems like nice economical system, but having the OEM system work for two sets of tires is not hundreds of dollars per year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm looking to purchase the switch on eBay or somewhere online. Does anyone know how to search for the bipolar switch? I can't seem to find the 3 lead one. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,118 Posts
Thanks! Any specific rating I'm looking for? Or any switch will do?
If your lack of electronics knowledge prompts your two questions, I'd suggest you not try to implement such a mod yourself for fear of destroying the TPMS - which BTW I didn't think Canadian models had.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Thanks! Any specific rating I'm looking for? Or any switch will do?
Pretty much any switch will do. The current being carried is way under an amp. So a low current switch rated for dry low voltage DC-rated switch would be sought if this were a critical application. This is not a critical application.

So I would avoid a switch rated for 6 amps and250 VAC. Some switch that indicted was for guitars would be suitable.

One distinction. The On-On switches have two positions, and connect the center terminal to one outer terminal or the other. THe On-OFF-ON type add a middle setting that does not connect anything when the toggle is in the middle.

here are some of the many which could do the job for you:
The parts from China will take longer to arrive.
3pc SPDT ON ON FLAT Shaft Car Boat Toggle Switches 3v 6v 9v 12v 120v,BF102 n | eBay
3pc SPDT ON ON FLAT Shaft Car Boat Toggle Switches 3v 6v 9v 12v 120v,BF102 n | eBay
1p SPDT ON/ON Right Angle Panel Mount Toggle Switch,BC4 | eBay

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pretty much any switch will do. The current being carried is way under an amp. So a low current switch rated for dry low voltage DC-rated switch would be sought if this were a critical application. This is not a critical application.

So I would avoid a switch rated for 6 amps and250 VAC. Some switch that indicted was for guitars would be suitable.

One distinction. The On-On switches have two positions, and connect the center terminal to one outer terminal or the other. THe On-OFF-ON type add a middle setting that does not connect anything when the toggle is in the middle.

here are some of the many which could do the job for you:
The parts from China will take longer to arrive.
1p SPDT ON/ON Right Angle Panel Mount Toggle Switch,BC4 | eBay
I really appreciate the response, but I confirmed it on Toyota's website, the Canadian version does not have TPMS. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with that.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,450 Posts
I really appreciate the response, but I confirmed it on Toyota's website, the Canadian version does not have TPMS. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with that.
The only Canadian RAV4 that has TPMS is the Sport Appearance Package with no spare tire on the back. That one has run-flat tires and TPMS. And of course there are a few US-spec RAV4's that were imported by the owners, and all of those will have TPMS as well.

X

·
0 Posts
TPMS removal

Hi out there in RAV-Land,

I have a 2011 Limited that I bought in June of this year.

Has anyone removed the in-tire sending units & replaced them with standard valves?

I used to own a 2002 Lexus SC430 and when I disconnected the TPMS system I then had a local shop remove the sending units & install standard valves; worked great.

Just asking,

JerryBaumchen

·
Super Moderator
9,118 Posts
Has anyone removed the in-tire sending units & replaced them with standard valves?

I used to own a 2002 Lexus SC430 and when I disconnected the TPMS system I then had a local shop remove the sending units & install standard valves; worked great.
I don't get it. :shrug: If you disconnected the TPMS system, why bother changing the valve stems? Were they leaking or did you just want to be rid of the whole system once and for all?

X

·
0 Posts
Hi Dr,

Yup, just want to get rid of the system.

Different strokes for different folks is my philosophy.

JerryBaumchen

PS) So, has anyone changed out the TPMS valves for normal valves?

·
16,450 Posts
Hi Dr,

Yup, just want to get rid of the system.

Different strokes for different folks is my philosophy.

JerryBaumchen

PS) So, has anyone changed out the TPMS valves for normal valves?
Jerry, I would just leave them. They aren't hurting anything, and are perfectly functional valve stems. Plus, what if you decide to sell it down the road? The next owner might want TPMS, and it is federally mandated.

H

·
0 Posts
I've read a few posts here about canadian models not having TPMS. I'd like to squash that rumor right now. My 08 Sport V6 has TPMS. So does my ex's '11 base I4.

·
16,450 Posts
I've read a few posts here about canadian models not having TPMS. I'd like to squash that rumor right now. My 08 Sport V6 has TPMS. So does my ex's '11 base I4.
Well, it's mandatory here in the US, but not in Canada:

https://canadasafetycouncil.org/node/895

Many people seldom ever check their tires. That’s why all 2008 and newer vehicles now have the “Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems” to alert the driver if a tire is low. TPMS isn’t mandatory in Canada , and so far, there are no plans to make it so. Transport Canada says it is monitoring the effectiveness of TPMS and will not rule out the possibility of mandatory requirement, but also says that it will make no decisions before looking at several issues, including false or no warnings, sensor battery life, long-term system durability, and the extremely low numbers of tire failures cited in fatal collisions.

So even though your vehicle is equipped with TPMS, you should still check your tire pressure once a month and before any longer trips.

H

·
0 Posts
Well, it's mandatory here in the US, but not in Canada:

https://canadasafetycouncil.org/node/895

Many people seldom ever check their tires. That’s why all 2008 and newer vehicles now have the “Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems” to alert the driver if a tire is low. TPMS isn’t mandatory in Canada , and so far, there are no plans to make it so. Transport Canada says it is monitoring the effectiveness of TPMS and will not rule out the possibility of mandatory requirement, but also says that it will make no decisions before looking at several issues, including false or no warnings, sensor battery life, long-term system durability, and the extremely low numbers of tire failures cited in fatal collisions.

So even though your vehicle is equipped with TPMS, you should still check your tire pressure once a month and before any longer trips.
That me be but it doesn't mean we don't have the option up here. In fact most new vehicles here come with it standard.

61 - 80 of 167 Posts