Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
All I did was disconnect the plug (actually a socket) from the TPMS ECU and connect a 3.3K 1/4W resistor from the blue (battery voltage) wire to the pink wire. :)
Awesome solution Fred (Dr. Dyno)! After using the black tape on instrument cluster solution for a few years, I am happy to use the 3.3 k resistor solution.

Haven't seen photos of the fix, so took a couple while I was at it.

Photo #1: To get at the TPMS ECU, lower the glove box out of the way by pressing inward on both sides of the glove box.

Photo #2: Insert the 3.3 k resistor into the loose (female) end of the TPMS connector to link the blue and pink wires ...

I just left the connector hanging (as in the photos) and re-installed the glove box. You could put a piece of electrical tape over the resistor to make sure it doesn't go anywhere. The voltages/currents are so small (see below) that I'm not really worried about it making contact with anything else.

On a side note, was curious if the 1/4 W resistor was sufficient. The voltage drop across the resistor (from 12 V to 5V) is about 7 V, which means the 3.3 k-ohm resistor has about 2 mA current running through it and a power loss of about 14 mW (i.e., 0.014 W). So, certainly no worries about the 1/4 W resistor being insufficient!

[Note: I had linked photos from my Album, but they seem to have a habit of disappearing if I do so. Have now inserted the photos as attachments below. Seems like you need to be logged in to view the attachments.]

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,114 Posts
Awesome solution Fred (Dr. Dyno)! After using the black tape on instrument cluster solution for a few years, I am happy to use the 3.3 k resistor solution.
Thanks mucho for posting the pics & how-to.
It's really soooo simple - and safe for the electronics.

Will also work on many other Toyota models. :thumbs_up: The pinout on the connector may vary but the resistor always goes between the pink & blue wires.

I figured the power for the resistor & chose the 1/4W because the leads fit snug but w/o damaging the connector.

Funny thing is I developed this mod specifically for my brother-in-law who uses winter rims & tires in Alaska. When he was here visiting last week I asked him how it was working. He has the resistor but hasn't installed it yet! Still staring at the light! :shrug: All it'll take is a link & a minute!

Just checked availability on the resistor (+ 4 spares!!) from Radio Shack:

Model: 271-1328 | Catalog #: 271-1328
3.3K Ohm 1/4-Watt Carbon Film Resistor (5-Pack)

Price: $1.19

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just want to confirm:

Pull the socket.
Insert resistor to link blue and pink wires.
Leave unplugged.

Pull resistor and plug socket back in to return TPMS function.

I assume this to be the case as it would appear from the pics that the resistor would get in the way of plugging the socket back in.

·
Super Moderator
9,114 Posts
I just want to confirm:

Pull the socket.
Insert resistor to link blue and pink wires.
Leave unplugged.

Pull resistor and plug socket back in to return TPMS function.
Correct! Easy fix & return to normal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you! I did it with a switch without problem.

However, I'm planning to do the same with my Scion XB 2008... I'm not able to find the TPMS module under the dashboard. I know that the module is similar to the one in Rav4. I would appreciate any help regarding the location of the TPMS module in a Scion XB.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For those of you who have winter and summer wheels and want to maintain a working TPMS w/o much hassle, please see my post on the Tacoma World forums that explains your options:

TPMS Options for Multiple Wheel Sets (I.e., Winter/Summer, Street/Off-Road, etc.) - Tacoma World Forums

In a nut-shell, getting your non-OEM wheels with programmable TMPS sensors that are "cloned" to the same sensor ID values as your OEM wheels will allow you to swap tires w/o any issue or extra cost (well, extra cost beyond the sensors).

·
Registered
6 Posts
All I did was disconnect the plug (actually a socket) from the TPMS ECU and connect a 3.3K 1/4W resistor from the blue (battery voltage) wire to the pink wire. :)
I did this same mod tonight on my 2008 RAV4, and I can definitely confirm it keeps the TPMS light off. Many thanks for figuring this out and making it as easy as possible!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everybody,

i have a 12pin socket with no red wire, i tried put pink on blue, then pink on purple, green, white even white with black strip, but light is still on. I have european RAV4 2006. Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of that light on dash, please ?

·
Super Moderator
9,114 Posts
Different years & models (from other forums) have different numbers of pins. That's why I didn't list pin numbers, just wire colors. The pink wire seems to be common among the various connectors. Hook one end of the 3.3K resistor to it. The other end needs 12V switched power from somewhere. One of the other wires has to have it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for reply, Mr. Fred

i did measurement with multimeter, i figured out, there is blue one with 12V going into the tpms module. So i did try to connect that blue one through some resistor (not sure if it was 3.3K but it gave 5.32V to cuted pink (going to vehicle). Then i ran for 15mins bud light´s still on.

My major problem before was blinking that light, not stay on. May this be the problem ??

·
Super Moderator
9,114 Posts
Thank you for reply, Mr. Fred

i did measurement with multimeter, i figured out, there is blue one with 12V going into the tpms module. So i did try to connect that blue one through some resistor (not sure if it was 3.3K but it gave 5.32V to cuted pink (going to vehicle). Then i ran for 15mins bud light´s still on.

My major problem before was blinking that light, not stay on. May this be the problem ??
Those voltages and wire colors are correct. You must have different electronics. You did leave the plug disconnected with the resistor in it, right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
yes, the plug was disconected. I have a bit different module than the others, seems to be another plug with two heavy wires going in it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Re the question that keeps coming up in this thread, of why one might want to disconnect the TPMS, another reason is that the stems are made of aluminum, not brass as they have traditionally made, and corrode rapidly in salt (expecially if someone puts the wrong cap on. Parts and labor to replace ONE sensor are about $200 since the whole car has to be, according to the local dealership, reprogrammed.

As the cars age sensor failure will probably become more common, making disabling the light a reasonable option to replacing sensors. And how long the batteries last, and can they be replaced?

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Parts and labor to replace ONE sensor are about $200 since the whole car has to be, according to the local dealership, reprogrammed.
Sounds cheap compared to the price of a replacement key or muffler at the dealer.

I think some tire stores can install a new sensor cloned to the same ID as the old one. Otherwise they can program in the replacement sensor. That's going to be cheaper than the dealer. Tire Sensor - Programmable TPMS Sensors EZ-sensor™

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thank you Fred! Saving time and money cutting and splicing this and that. This is so great :) Going to Radioshack tomorrow to get my 3.3K Ohm 1/4-Watt Resistor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Annoying light

Tries resistor method[pink to blue] on my 2007 limited

left unplugged

but light still comes on. Do you think this method from tundra solutions would work.

Re: Disabling the tire pressure sensor system for the tundra

Unplug harness from front side of ECU (2"x3" black box) to gain room to work on harness. Butt connector (will allow easy reversal) on pink wire and ground to nearby screw (a couple within an inch or two). Plug harness back and button it up. If you only wish to stop the light from flashing you may simply unplug harness and the light will stay on

·
Registered
1 Posts
The pictures referenced above would be a great help but are not showing up. Are they still posted? Other suggestions? Garage broke two TPMS sensors, which I did not replace. Thanks.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,444 Posts
81 - 100 of 167 Posts