Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

101 - 120 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Five minute job including walking to the garage in 20* weather for a red scotchlok and a pair of pliers. Just drop the glovebox, snip the pink, and scotchlok the harness end to the red. TPMS on my 2007 was sporadically lighting as one of the sensors was going.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm sorry I'm new to all this can u post a pic from post 22 how to install the resistor or how is suppose to look like thanks!!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sorry to butt in, (I have a 4.4). Just wanted to make people aware that Radio Shack has closed a whole bunch of their retail stores. If you go to their web site, there is a place where you can search for a store location near you, and input a mile search radius. Luckily, there was one still in business located in the next city over. The current price for the 3.3k Ohm 1/4 Watt five-pack of resistors is $1.49, plus state sales tax.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just used the resistor method and TPMS light is off. This is for a 2012 RAV4 4cyl 4WD. Just make sure to really wedge the resistor legs in the harness. I used the blue and pink wire. All good.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Can you post a picture, I can't find a pink wire ( have 2012 v6 base)
blue is in a corner ( I think, I am a little color-blind)
thanks

·
Registered
419 Posts
^^^^ solidfish - great thread BTW.

I've read a few posts here about canadian models not having TPMS. I'd like to squash that rumor right now. My 08 Sport V6 has TPMS. So does my ex's '11 base I4.
^^ My Canadian built 2008 RAV4 Limited / dealer maintained with 89,000 Km - did not have TPMS.
- I've been driving for over 4 decades & my eyes, spot check tire pressure every time I walk up to one of my vehicles...before I jump in & turn the key / my visual method has never let me down, but not for everyone. TPMS are an expense, I personally would sooner avoid.

We bought a winter wheel package for our sons new 2015 Lexus RX350 - TPMS at dealer was $55 each. But his 2008 Nissan Rogue had needed 2 TPMS - one defective one probably had a low battery & the other had a broken valve stem. Needed fixed & eliminate TPMS warning light, to help sell private - Nissan dealer wanted $155 each.
So my independent garage friend installed 2 universal TPMS, for $45 each on and reprogrammed them for free / good customer service.

Now for next summer, when the winter tires on 6 spoke OEM alloy rims come off.
- custom valve stems (without TPMS) and 2013 Highlander 17x7.5" alloy rims.
- on silver rims I want chrome valve stems / on black rims I want black rubber valve stems
- and no TPMS warning light, on the dash of our 2008 Limited / Canadian built

On nice rims, I like to run Truck 100 psi designed chrome valve stems, with stainless steel caps - originally made for 1 Ton Dually...I buy them at a full tire shop.

Universal TPMS - 1/3 the price, as Nissan dealer...installed on 7 year old Rogue SL.
- suspect internal battery went dead, on one / broken valve stem, in other

Expensive TPMS programmer, at garage.

Reprogram TPMS, plug & play method.

Reprogram original TPMS, scan tool method.
- as working TPMS valve stems left in rim, during tire change

·
Registered
1 Posts
TPMS Programming

Has anyone tried to find if it’s possible to disable the TPMS "program" similar to how you would progam a key code? (ex. Insert key, open and close doors, jump on a chicken, deflate tire, lock doors, wait 40 days, then drink 5 shots of whiskey?)

·
Super Moderator
9,118 Posts
Can you post a picture, I can't find a pink wire ( have 2012 v6 base)
blue is in a corner ( I think, I am a little color-blind)
thanks
Just came across my notes on this mod (from Oct 2011!). My '06 RAV4 connector has 16 pins with pin 2 having the blue wire and pin 6, the pink. If yours has a different number of pins I suggest having a more color discriminating person check it.
(From another post it seems later model RAV4s may have a 12-pin connector with the 3.3K 1/4W resistor needing to be between pins 5 & 6.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
just did this on my 2006 Rav 4, and it worked perfect. took like 2 minutes. pink to blue with the resistor. It was going to cost $500 to replace all 5 sensors and reprogram them.

this cost a lot less

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Big thank you to Dr Dyno and his solution to the TPMS problem.:smile Bought my resistors at Radio Shack ( $1.60) but need a warm day to install. Plastic is very brittle in January in New York.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anyone tried the resistor method on a 4.2 (2004) Rav4? I've adjusted the pressure on all tires but the light stays on constantly. I'm assuming the sensors are shot.
My dash looked like a Christmas tree when I bought the car with the VSC, TPMS and Check Engine lights all going. Check Engine is due to bad exhaust/cat converter/oxygen sensor which is getting replaced soon. VSC Trac light has yet to be determined. Would be nice to get the TPMS disabled so at least one light taken care of right away!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Anyone tried the resistor method on a 4.2 (2004) Rav4? I've adjusted the pressure on all tires but the light stays on constantly. I'm assuming the sensors are shot.
My dash looked like a Christmas tree when I bought the car with the VSC, TPMS and Check Engine lights all going. Check Engine is due to bad exhaust/cat converter/oxygen sensor which is getting replaced soon. VSC Trac light has yet to be determined. Would be nice to get the TPMS disabled so at least one light taken care of right away!
4.2 has no sensors in the wheels, it uses the ABS system . There is a special initiation procedure to set the TPMS.. It should be in your owners manual.
NOTE: I had a 2004 RAV4 until 3 months ago.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks ronbo. I didn't get a manual with my car, but I've got it downloaded. Need to put it on my tablet and go through it I guess!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dr. Dyno, thanks so much for making this informative post. I used it to disable the idiot light on my 07 gen3 Rav. Worked like a charm. Must be sure to get 1/4watt resistors. The 1/2 watt ones leads are too big to fit the connector holes. The mod is easily reversible if you ever had a logical reason to undo it. Again, many thanks from my wife who has been looking at that dumb light for months! It's gone for good now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello all,

I just got my 2012 Rav4 Limited V6 (here in Vancouver, Canada). I am getting a second set of tires, but I too don't want to pay for over-priced TPMS system. I tried lowering my spare tire pressure to 16psi today, and the TPMS light didn't light up. I also looked behind the glove box, and I couldn't find the TPMS module you guys all have in the photos... However, I do have one extra module. Could you please look at the pictures I took and just confirm that my car doesn't have TPMS equipped? Kaltire looked at my tires and said they have TPMS valve stems, and therefore I need to pay $500 extra to get a second set of TPMS valve stems... I told them I don't need those stupid things and they refused to work on my tires for "safety concerns".:mad:

Attachments

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,450 Posts
Hello all,

I just got my 2012 Rav4 Limited V6 (here in Vancouver, Canada). I am getting a second set of tires, but I too don't want to pay for over-priced TPMS system. I tried lowering my spare tire pressure to 16psi today, and the TPMS light didn't light up. I also looked behind the glove box, and I couldn't find the TPMS module you guys all have in the photos... However, I do have one extra module. Could you please look at the pictures I took and just confirm that my car doesn't have TPMS equipped? Kaltire looked at my tires and said they have TPMS valve stems, and therefore I need to pay $500 extra to get a second set of TPMS valve stems... I told them I don't need those stupid things and they refused to work on my tires for "safety concerns".:mad:
The TPMS was mandated for all cars in the US, but NOT in Canada. Therefore, the only RAV4 that came with TPMS in Canada was the Sport Appearance Package with no spare tire on the back.

The ECU Aggregation box is part of the SmartKey system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
new here, howdy!

just did this mod to my 09 and 11. the 11 would come on once in awhile, the 09 has been on for a week.

question, how long will the 09 stay on for after the resister was added? I let it run in the parking lot for 15min on/off another 10min but still on.???

(reason is I mix tires between my twin rav4 and this pesky tpms just pissed me off....I miss my pan head!

101 - 120 of 167 Posts