Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

141 - 160 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, this is a fantastic thread ! The only trouble im having is finding the TPMS ecu in my Rav. It is a 2006 Rav4 T180.
I have the glovebox out but do not see a unit like the one shown in this thread.
Would anyone have any ideas ? I'd be very grateful if some light could be shed on this as the dash light has been on for some time.
Thanks again......

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,447 Posts
Hi all, this is a fantastic thread ! The only trouble im having is finding the TPMS ecu in my Rav. It is a 2006 Rav4 T180.
I have the glovebox out but do not see a unit like the one shown in this thread.
Would anyone have any ideas ? I'd be very grateful if some light could be shed on this as the dash light has been on for some time.
Thanks again......
Sounds like you may be one of those crazy people who drive on the wrong side of the road! :smile If so, the TPMS unit may be on the driver's side. Sometimes Toyota puts these parts on the same side of the car regardless of where the steering wheel is located.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can't see the pictures that you posted. My 2006 Rav4 has the same problem. can someone else please repost the pics so I can do the samething.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks, OP, as well as the fellas and fellettes over at the original forum for this. Just inherited my Mom's '09 Rav4 (R.I.P., Love you mom) and this was one of the first things to be corrected after a proper wash, seal/glaze, new head unit and now this. Looking forward to spending some time here with all of you.

ETA: There wasn't any room to work beneath the dash so I dropped and removed the glove box and it was 10 times easier going that route.

·
Super Moderator
9,118 Posts
probably a silly question at this point, but what are the functions of the other pins in that connector?
12V power, Ground, TP receiver, Dash low pressure light & Data link connector.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi all, getting ready to do this. Quoting from post #22 in this thread:

>>>
My '06 has a 16 pin connector with the pink on pin 6 and the red on pin 8. I don't think the pin numbers matter, just the wire colors. I didn't use the red wire at all and didn't cut any wires. The reason the Yaris derived mod uses the red wire is because it's a 5 volt signal the pink indicator wire needs to see to keep the TPMS light off. (The red is actually the 5 volt power the TPMS ECU sends to the TPM radio receiver mounted in the rear of the roof.)
One of the other fixes on the Yaris forum involves a three resistor voltage divider to produce the 4 - 5 volts from the battery voltage supplied to the TPMS ECU. That doesn't involve cutting any wires but is still too complicated in my view.

All I did was disconnect the plug (actually a socket) from the TPMS ECU and connect a 3.3K 1/4W resistor from the blue (battery voltage) wire to the pink wire.
The leads on the 1/4W resistor fit nicely into the female pins on the plug. Just trim the resistor leads to match the blue-to-pink pin spacing on your plug. Done in maybe two minutes!
<<<

In this album: https://www.rav4world.com/forums/members/albums/38995-solidfish/tpms-2731.html

I see this photo:

And if I am reading this correctly, I just find and yank that connector, insert the required resistor into the connector's blue and pink female ends, then just leave it hanging.

Amirite?

TIA,

-kj-

·
Super Moderator
9,118 Posts

And if I am reading this correctly, I just find and yank that connector, insert the required resistor into the connector's blue and pink female ends, then just leave it hanging.

Amirite?
YesUam indeed.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,447 Posts
I cannot see any of the pictures in this forum, are they gone?
The pictures are showing up fine for me. Try a different browser.

·
Super Moderator
9,118 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ok, operation complete, no light so far. Used electrical tape over top and around the plug to secure it (the resistor wire was really thin and wouldn't stay in well, does that matter?)

Pro tip: removing the glove box gives immediate access to the plug. Don't recall reading that, went in underneath at first, and didn't have to. (Always fun lying on your back going up into the dashboard, especially at my age (late 50s) lol

Thanks, all!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Easiest fix yet!

My '06 has a 16 pin connector with the pink on pin 6 and the red on pin 8. I don't think the pin numbers matter, just the wire colors. I didn't use the red wire at all and didn't cut any wires. The reason the Yaris derived mod uses the red wire is because it's a 5 volt signal the pink indicator wire needs to see to keep the TPMS light off. (The red is actually the 5 volt power the TPMS ECU sends to the TPM radio receiver mounted in the rear of the roof.)
One of the other fixes on the Yaris forum involves a three resistor voltage divider to produce the 4 - 5 volts from the battery voltage supplied to the TPMS ECU. That doesn't involve cutting any wires but is still too complicated in my view.

All I did was disconnect the plug (actually a socket) from the TPMS ECU and connect a 3.3K 1/4W resistor from the blue (battery voltage) wire to the pink wire.:)
The leads on the 1/4W resistor fit nicely into the female pins on the plug. Just trim the resistor leads to match the blue-to-pink pin spacing on your plug. Done in maybe two minutes! Want the TPMS to work again? Pull the resistor and plug the cable back into the ECU. A five resistor pack is $1.00 at Radio Shack (2711328) They can also be found from many other sources https://goo.gl/Z7fsyn. My TPMS ECU is located in front of the glove box - easily accessed by unclipping the air damper on the lower right side of the glove box, dropping the box down and removing it.

In my testing the 3.3K series resistor drops the battery voltage from 12.22V to 4.64V on the pink terminal with key-on-engine-off and from 14.02V to 5.32V engine-running. (With the TPMS ECU connected (and the resistor removed) the pink wire was at 4.37V and the red was 4.97V with either key-on-engine-off or engine running.)

Disclaimer: I have no reason the believe this same method won't work on any 4.3 RAV4 but checks should still be done to confirm the voltages are close to my readings on the blue and pink wires.

Wouldn't it be a 330 ohm resistor, not a 3300 ohm?

·
Super Moderator
9,118 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
1. Does this disconnect the TPM's so they are not sending a signal thus increasing TPM battery life?

Also,
2. Will this method show up as a fault during vehicle annual inspection since the connector is unplugged?

141 - 160 of 167 Posts