Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

161 - 169 of 169 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,513 Posts
1. Does this disconnect the TPM's so they are not sending a signal thus increasing TPM battery life?

Also,
2. Will this method show up as a fault during vehicle annual inspection since the connector is unplugged?
1. No, because the sensors are inside each tire--they can't be disconnected.

2. No, because the resistor "fools" the computer so that the tire pressure looks correct.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks for the prompt reply! So the sensors are transmitting a signal 24/7/365 even when vehicle is turn off?

·
Super Moderator
9,413 Posts
1. Does this disconnect the TPM's so they are not sending a signal thus increasing TPM battery life?

Also,
2. Will this method show up as a fault during vehicle annual inspection since the connector is unplugged?
No and no.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
If my TPMS light comes on apart from when starting my RAV4 and there is no actual pressure problem with the tires I will simply do as some others have done - place a small piece of black electrical tape on the dash instrument cover to blank it. Would be easy to remove if selling/trading in the vehicle - is getting more difficult for me to crawl under the dash nowadays!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Although the black tape thing may work for some, it's just too ghetto for me. I think the 3.3K 1/4 watt resistor is the answer when my sensors finally give up.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Although the black tape thing may work for some, it's just too ghetto for me. I think the 3.3K 1/4 watt resistor is the answer when my sensors finally give up.
You're right, but you can always get used to anything. I had an old Maxima with a CEL lit for a couple of years with tape covering it. It didn't affect the engine itself so it still passed NY inspection. Until NY required no CEL, then had to get it fixed.

161 - 169 of 169 Posts