Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[EDIT: A shorter version has been posted here :arrow: http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24363 ]

I ran across the following in Automobile Mag and wondered if it also worked on the 2006 RAV4 :D

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/0601_lexus_gs430_vsc/index.html

After being continually frustrated with our inability to completely turn off the GS’s traction and stability control system, we recently learned from an anonymous source how to disable the overprotective electro-nanny. Road test coordinator Marc Noordeloos performed the complicated procedure, took a test drive, and, while grinning from ear to ear, pronounced the car transformed. If you own a 2006 GS (or IS), follow these steps and enjoy the slide. Once the car is started, you have thirty seconds to complete the process. With practice, the procedure can be completed in approximately fifteen seconds but, unfortunately, must be repeated each time the car is switched off.

1. Make sure the car is in Park and the parking brake is disengaged before you start the car.
2. Start the engine.
3. Engage the parking brake.
4. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.
5. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.
6. Disengage the parking brake.
7. Fully depress and hold down the brake pedal.
8. Engage the parking brake, then disengage it (while holding down the brake pedal).
9. Engage the parking brake, then disengage it (while holding down the brake pedal).
10. Release the brake pedal.
11. Engage the parking brake.
12. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.
13. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.

When “Check VSC" is displayed in the multifunction display along with the “Trac-off"� icon indicator, you'll know that you have successfully completed the procedure.
Anybody want to try it out?

S

·
0 Posts
considering how vsc functions as LSD for 4WD, I really see no point in disabling it. Plus, I tried to drive it hard during rain and I never heard any complains from VSC, despite adding lots of power on twisty mountain roads during rain.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Like Kelly's excerpt says, this sort of override for the stability control is only temporary until you turn off the engine. The next time you start out it's back on again. I can see wanting to turn it off occasionally when you want to have some fun.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Anyone have a wiring diagram? All you need to do is interrupt the road speed signal to the computer that controls the center diff lockup. Install a SPST switch and open that circuit and the system "should" stay engaged regardless of vehicle speed.

I haven't tried this, so take this advice with a grain of salt.

Anyone want to experiment?

John Davies
Spokane WA

EDIT: This is wrong, I thought we were talking about traction control. My mistake. JD

S

·
0 Posts
why would you leave it on? I suggest you drive it a bit and decide if you really need an switch or not. System works perfectly and a lot more than what you would think.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Confirmed, IT WORKS!

I tried this on my RAV today on my way home from work and it works. Follow the procedure and it will turn off VSC until the car is turned off. I didn't notice any difference driving, but I'm still breaking it in, so I'm not driving it hard at all. I'm sure it will be fun to do someday though just to see how different it acts.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks for posting this, its works great! It is something that I have wanted to be able to do since I upgraded from my gocart like 4.1. but had given up all hope. I suggest that this be posted in the mods section.

I

·
0 Posts
hey,

I saw this post, and the complexity involved in disabling the traction control...

I did a lot of research on the VSC ecu & system and came up with a way to disable it,

although its on a Caldina GTT not a RAV4, they are both 4wd toyotas right? so it may be worth testing it out...

A bit easier than the process you have listed there!!

its here: http://caldinafaq.blogspot.com

(dont worry... this isnt spam!!)

·
Registered
237 Posts
karrock said:
Anyone brave enough to attempt this surgery yet? :?
Honestly, I haven't even disabled the VSC yet. I haven't even seen it kick in yet on my RAV, so I'm happy with it so far. I was exiting the highway via a wet, decreasing radius onramp the other day, and it didn't kick in at all. The tires were squealing, the RAV was sliding ever so slightly, and the VSC didn't jump in. So far, I like it, but I reserve the right to change that opinion after it kicks in for the first time :)

DJ

·
Registered
58 Posts
Tried it today just to see the difference, all I can say is get ready to buy new tires soon if you leave it off all the time. This thing will light up the front tires. :twisted:

Tim

T

·
0 Posts
inane said:
hey,

I saw this post, and the complexity involved in disabling the traction control...

I did a lot of research on the VSC ecu & system and came up with a way to disable it,

although its on a Caldina GTT not a RAV4, they are both 4wd toyotas right? so it may be worth testing it out...

I have some experience with these systems but not specifically Toyota's. Certainly one way to defeat this type of safety system is to kill one of the required sensors such as Steering Angle Sensor (SAS), yaw rate sensor (YRS) or lateral accelerometer (LA). The problem is do you lose initialization (zero point) of the sensor when you kill it. I can't tell from the linked page whether you are switching power or communications to/from the SAS. If you killing the power you will loose the center or zero point, and it will have to re-initialize on repower. This is explained in the Toyota TSB VSC STEERING ANGLE SENSOR INITIALIZATION DURING PDS OR AFTER REPAIR (linked in the RAV4WORLD TSB page). A safety problem can occur if it does not rezero at true zero. If so it will be biased in one direction, more prone to false interventions in one direction and less likely to intervene in the other. If you always have the wheel straight ahead at re-power up, you may be o.k. You could switch the communication circuits, but you introduce the risk of odd intermittent faults due to loss of signal integrity i.e. the main ECU is looking for handshake messages every 0,xxx seconds and if it doesn't get it a fault will light. As soon as the handshake comes back the fault is out. A good bump might be enough..........

The brake pedal/parking brake procedure at the top of the list sounds like a major pain, but you don't loose the sensor initialization that is critical to these systems.

Just my 2 cents worth.

M

·
0 Posts
Kelly's procedure at the top worked every time I tried it in my 06 Rav4. Thanks very much. I got bogged today on a very wet beach and needed this info as nothing would move. I'm ready for the next time.

N

·
0 Posts
Turning_Japanese said:
inane said:
hey,

I have some experience with these systems but not specifically Toyota's. Certainly one way to defeat this type of safety system is to kill one of the required sensors such as Steering Angle Sensor (SAS), yaw rate sensor (YRS) or lateral accelerometer (LA). The problem is do you lose initialization (zero point) of the sensor when you kill it. I can't tell from the linked page whether you are switching power or communications to/from the SAS. If you killing the power you will loose the center or zero point, and it will have to re-initialize on repower. This is explained in the Toyota TSB VSC STEERING ANGLE SENSOR INITIALIZATION DURING PDS OR AFTER REPAIR (linked in the RAV4WORLD TSB page). A safety problem can occur if it does not rezero at true zero. If so it will be biased in one direction, more prone to false interventions in one direction and less likely to intervene in the other. If you always have the wheel straight ahead at re-power up, you may be o.k. You could switch the communication circuits, but you introduce the risk of odd intermittent faults due to loss of signal integrity i.e. the main ECU is looking for handshake messages every 0,xxx seconds and if it doesn't get it a fault will light. As soon as the handshake comes back the fault is out. A good bump might be enough..........

The brake pedal/parking brake procedure at the top of the list sounds like a major pain, but you don't loose the sensor initialization that is critical to these systems.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Very nice!!!I TOTALY agree with your thought.I am really interested though in installing such a switch,so i would really appreciate any other information you might have on such an installation.

M

·
0 Posts
i tried it today and i thought that it worked because the "road slipping" light came on but i can't say that i noticed any difference while it was on. are all the lights supposed to be on?

T

·
0 Posts
Very nice!!!I TOTALY agree with your thought.I am really interested though in installing such a switch,so i would really appreciate any other information you might have on such an installation.
One of the PDF's on this site describing the 4wd function shows a combined yaw rate and lateral accelerometer sensor included in the system. These units are important to the function of the VDC system, but not as sensitive as the steering angle sensor. If you can find that one you may want to switch it instead of the steering angle sensor. I don't know what it looks like or where it is, but it might look like this Probably should switch one of the comm circuits (not power or ground) just to be sure there are no re-initilization issues. Of course there is a risk of drop outs due to vibration and there could be bus resistance value issues as well. These are things I'm aware of but have no experience to guide with. Probably wouldn't hurt to try, if you cut wires be sure to use good wiring practices. I have a Maz-ord that had a air bag fault because a shop cut out a wiring connector, twisted the wires together and wrapped in electrical tape. The joint developed a high resistance over time (got rusty) and blew the safety fuse in the air bag ECU.

Don't forget to flip the switch back after you turn over LOL!

I should add you do these things at your own risk and I don't accept any responsibility for the outcome of these activities. I assume the forum doesn't either. In principle the car should be no dangerous with it off than an earlier model without it, but it is a safety function and when you do these things you are defeating a safety device which would be frowned on by the vehicle manufacturer, insurance companies, regulatory authorities, your mom and dad and who knows who else.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
steering sensor

Well RAV4 AWD info sheet shows it just under the dash on steering column. Looks like on the steering shaft just beyond the tilt lever.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts