Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I really want to get a newer Rav4 3 door cruiser here in the US and I know they were discontinued. But in Europe and Australia I saw some and was wondering how hard to get one to Washington State. I have a 97 but would really like to get a newer one. Any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
I'd also like to get one into Washington State :roll:

But...

My opinion... not very feasable. Sure... it's probably possible, but what happens when/if you ever need replacement parts? Plus... it will be right hand drive :shock:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are lefthand drive 3 Door RAV4's in Europe but maybe I am wrong I am no expert ;) Does the States still get LHD motor bikes :) Now where did I put my right hand drive keyboard I use with my PC :lol:

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
If you have the money it may be possible.

I shipped a Suzuki Jeep to Italy 15 years ago when I studied there.
But it was over 5 years old at the time.
I had tinted window wich at the time where illegal. Whenever i would travel and look around Pininfarinas windtunnel/factory where they made and tested Ferraris and Sergio or one of the family members would exit. The security eyes would be glued onto my car.
:shock:

These are some issues:

- Must meet with US Safety codes. May need modifications
- Most likely no warranty
- Shipping container (Your being importer) a few thousand
- Trip to Europe and shopping for it. Then physically shipping it out.
- Dealing with your friendly customs people (May charge you with some Fees like Import tax, Duty, etc.)
- like the other person said (some parts might not be in USA) Imagine shipping a large fender or something similar.
- How will your Auto insurance company handle it

Hope I was not being to negative :p

·
Registered
986 Posts
I would ballpark the cost at least $30,000 US to do that, including the cost of the Rav and shipping, but that's just a conservative guess it's probably higher.

·
Registered
422 Posts
DJ was asking the same question today in another thread, and I posted under that one too.

I did a lot of research on importing a 4.2 2-door to the US before I got the 4-door. I finally concluded that it would be virtually impossible, hence the new 4-door. ;)

There's the cost of the Rav itself (probably full sticker price...how do you haggle on something like this). Then there's the vehicle importer's fee. Then there's the shipping fee (Boston to SE Wisconsin was quoted to me at $900...I dread to think what overseas shipping would be). Then there's customs fees, duty, tax, or whatever it's called. Then there's the cost to modify the Rav to US requirements. After all that, hopefully you'll have a vehicle that can legally be driven in the US. Then you have to get insurance. From the insurance company's point of view, imagine a few months down the road you get into a fender bender. All the parts have to be purchased from overseas and shipped here. Think about how bad your insurance company is going to stick you for coverage, if they'll even cover you at all.

It's ridiculous as far as I'm concerned. It just shouldn't be that complicated, but it apparently is.

That said, my understanding is that it is somewhat easier to import a used vehicle, but I didn't look into that because that brought up a whole different scenario in my mind of ending up with a vehicle with no end of problems that someone was all to happy to get rid of. How would I know for sure it was mechanically sound unless I went to whatever country with my own trusted mechanic in tow?

Also, if you're a non-US person who is coming to the US legally for employment, I understand you can bring your vehicle with you as long as you can demonstrate that it is temporary and the vehicle will return to wherever you came from eventually.

Becky

·
Registered
184 Posts
I can tell you exactly what you should do.

1. 3 drs Rav you can get in Germany or Finland (much cheaper).It costs aprox US$14000-16000 tax free. To ship it to the states will cost you additional $780, no container need for it.Use walenius line only.

2. in the states you should pass a custom clearance and pay duty.It costs aprox. 35% from the invoice price. you have a choice to bring only a brand new vehicle. Also you have to provide TUF certificate and other papers from Toyora Europe.

Therefore, to export a vehicle to the states is not a difficult task at all! :D

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Based on what ser02rav4 had said, if it were that easy, how come no one I know has seen a 3 door in the US? I think this is the only country, and maybe Canada, that doesn't have the 3 door. Heck, even Latinamerican countries have them :shock:.

Miriam

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Yep, we don't have them in Canada. Toyota would have to have a team of Engineers here do changes and have it passed by Transport Canada.

I sold my Suzuki to businessman in Italy. He phoned me a few months later in Canada for a bunch of paper work or they would not certify it.. At one point it was actually contraband... I helped him out. He said I a great guy for doing it but hey I sold him the car.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello, about a year ago I picked up a 2002 3 door in Germay,still new 77 kilometers, with full warranty for some reason the three doors didnt sell verry well at first you can still find new 2002-2003 models on dealers lots for a verry good price I got mine for about 13000 us dollars, www.autoscout24.de is the site to visit it is in english and you can narrow the search to dealer ravs only, I have to be honest the only reason I got mine is because I was being sent to Bosnia, and knew i needed a 4wd, and planned on getting a new R32 when I got back to Germany but the Rav4 has blown my mind It rides like a car and does great off road I drive around 180 km/hr on the autobahn with the top speed of 215 km/hr sorry to drag this out just wondered if any of you stateside had any idea how fast the rav realy is

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Hi DARKCLOUD,

Did you get a special exception as a returning US citizen?

And does Toyota USA accept the warranty?

Walt

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello Mionee67,
Im still here in Bosnia with the peace keeping force , and I fell in love with Europe and now have a home in Germany, But a lot of my co-workers that returned to the states did ship euro spec cars the web site I mentioned also has links to import/export agents that can take care of every thing and give price Quotes. Im realy not sure about the warranty, But the price for the import on my co-workers 2002 R32 VW Golf was under 6,000 not including the sales tax in what ever state you first register the car hope this helps

1 - 13 of 13 Posts