Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father set up the deal, but then after we realized that some rav4s are actually 2wd. Anyway to find out without looking underneath?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,890 Posts
My father set up the deal, but then after we realized that some rav4s are actually 2wd. Anyway to find out without looking underneath?
Sure, look for a 4WD lock button somewhere on the dash. If it's not there, it's 2WD. Of course, it's easy to just bend down and look for a rear differential "pumpkin" between the rear wheels.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, according to the owners manual only the stick shifts have an awd lock button for really tough situations. automatic like mine have an ect power button in its place, which has nothing to do with awd, although im curious to try it - it is for better acceleration.

maybe ill look underneath then. please provide some more details on this.

thanks
this is a 97 rav btw

·
Super Moderator
862 Posts
Check this video posted by Aussie50:

At the 00:06 mark, you will see what the rear differential on a Rav4 looks like. If it's missing, then you are going to get a 2WD.

Alternatively, you could use its VIN number online (t o y o d i y dot com), to discover that and many other potentially interesting characteristics of the Rav in question.
(Chassis codes SXA10 and SXA11 apply to 4WD Ravs, while SXA15 and SXA16 apply to 2WD ones.)

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Oh, the ECT button is FUN! :!:My CUTE 2 Door 2WD has that little feature. I have used it a couple of times and the first time we used it we were both laughing out loud. :DI believe (but have never looked into it or tried it without "needing" it) it allows the transmission to get to a higher RPM before shifting. We needed to get on to the Interstate on a short "speed-up" lane. I pushed it and there was a slight pause, then it TOOK OFF! It was kind of like: "Um.......ROOOOOOOAAAAARRRRRR!">:D It was a hoot! I do need to take her out and find out just what it really does for practical use in the future. THAT was fun, however....! Oh: and has nothing to do with 4WD, as was said.

Oh, yeah: it's pretty easy to see there is nothing under the rear end to give the rear wheels power in a 2WD. You don't even have to bend over much. Are you doing this deal without seeing the car?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info on the ETC button. I had started another thread asking about people's experiences with it but no replies yet. I'm gonna have to try it because I drive on highway and it takes forever to get up to 80km/h when I first start the car. Just hesitant to try it on a 20 year old engine, as it increases the RPMs.

·
Registered
160 Posts
As the others said. Look underneath your RAV, if you see a drive shaft going to the rear it is a 4wd. 5sp have the diff lock (94-95's were optional with this button however) the auto's have the ECT button.

When these cars are cold you should not floor it anyway. They do warm up fast however. I am not sure how the automatic performs but the 5sp is very peppy for what it has under the hood.

Have fun!

·
Registered
599 Posts
lol finding out if your RAV is 2WD or 4WD should be pretty easy, like finding out if a dog is male of female :p, just look at the undercarriage :p

·
Registered
599 Posts
I need to do a video "how to sex your RAV4", um,more like how to determine FWD or AWD/4X4 :p

·
Registered
105 Posts
As it won't be permanent 4WD, if it has 4WD capability you should have a selector to switch it in and out of that mode. No selector then it's 2WD.

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
lol finding out if your RAV is 2WD or 4WD should be pretty easy, like finding out if a dog is male of female :p, just look at the undercarriage :p
BEST ANSWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts