Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
'99 RAV4.1, 3MZ-FE, E250F 4x4, Torsen Dif
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a good youtube video by tgmac8288 that I found on how to replace the camshaft position sensor:

A malfunctioning camshaft position sensor will make the engine run very roughly, it may not allow the engine to run at all after you shut it down once it fails, and it may throw more codes if you keep trying to drive it with a bad sensor. Don't confuse it with the crankshaft position sensor, if it isn't working you usually won't get any fuel from the fuel injectors (one injector may work depending on the position of the crankshaft when the sensor failed) or spark and you may get a P0335 code.

If the crankshaft position sensor fails after working on the timing belt area, alternator, or a/c compressor check that you didn't unplug it and if the crankshaft pulley has been removed check that it wasn't installed backwards, the end with all the pins sticking out goes closest to the engine. Another issue is if you break off any of the crankshaft pulley pins that the sensor uses to know where the crankshaft is it won't run properly. It also may have been unplugged if the valve cover was removed to get the wire harness that runs over the top of the valve cover out of the way.

If the camshaft position fails after timing belt or work in that area check your connections, that you didn't move it out of position, and it is installed properly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you for that post, I am trying to diagnose mine and I know you suggested this but I hadn't found this video yet!
Thank you,
Will

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is a fantastic post, both fro Cam and Crank sensor diagnosis. I would vote for a pinning as it helps with a lot of "Won't start????" posts. Currently dealing with one of those mysteries and pretty sure now it's Crankshaft Sensor related. Thanks for sharing the knowledge @eodgator!

·
Registered
160 Posts
If for some reason you are chasing a P0340 code for cam sensor, I have found weak/cheap starters crank engine at too low of rpm and trigger this code

1 - 4 of 4 Posts