Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thankfully I didn’t get Harbor Freight jack stands. I think mine are the 3 ton craftsman model. Sorry to be a Debbie downer, but somebody had to say keeping a car in the air with only a hydraulic jack is lazy. Internal seals can fail, the release valve may not close all the way, or somebody can bump the jack. I’m a proponent of using the right tool for the job. I’ve never seen it so wholeheartedly suggested but this is an easier going forum than those I’m accustomed to.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm usually doing an oil change at the same time as the rotation. So while I'm waiting for the oil to finish draining out (that last little bit always takes forever) I'm rotating the tires. Because of that I always use 4 stands.

·
Registered
'19 Rav4 XLE Hybrid--Magnetic Gray Metallic
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I just use my roller jack. I love that the lift point for front and rear are on frame members in the middle. Makes it easy.

Decide on your rotation method (which tire goes where). Then I use the spare in place of the first removed tire and rotate them around and then the final move is to pull the spare and put the last tire there. Take me about 15 minutes or so. Remember to loosen the lugs before you put the vehicle in the air. And make sure to chock the wheels on the opposite side of work; opposite axle.

You should find a safe/proper spot for a jack stand while you do each corner but I dont do this myself as I am not under the car.

I am also not sure those are proper spots for jack stands in the video but I have not had to worry about getting the whole thing in the air at one time.
I appreciate the feedback and never thought to use the spare tire as a place holder. I think this is what I'll do to start with, it seems the safest method.

Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions!!!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts