Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I got a new key bought and cut at Toyota dealership. I programmed the lock unlock per youtube video . I now need to actually program the chip so the car can start.
Anyone has a step by step procedure for specifically 2006 RAV4?. I tried the posted "push the gas and brake pedal" thing, and it is generic...or at least not working for my 2006 RAV4
Thanks in advance
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
It must be done through Techstream.
For a one-time thing, bite the bullet and spend the $60 at the dealer.
If you are computer-savvy, you can buy a Chinese OBD-II cable and software, fart with it and pray that it works on your particular notebook, and hope that your antivirus warning is a false positive ;)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Hello,
I got a new key bought and cut at Toyota dealership. I programmed the lock unlock per youtube video . I now need to actually program the chip so the car can start.
Anyone has a step by step procedure for specifically 2006 RAV4?. I tried the posted "push the gas and brake pedal" thing, and it is generic...or at least not working for my 2006 RAV4
Thanks in advance
Ron
You need to buy the mini vci cable like this one which comes with the Techstream software. The mini vci cable connects to the OBDII port under the left side of the dash and the other end of the usb cable to your laptop. You must have a master key to program another key. A valet key will not work. You can check youtube to find the difference typing in "Toyota Master & Valet Key"

Then follow instructions here.

You need a notebook/laptop with a 32 Bit operating system (ie Xp, Window 7). You need 32 Bit Window O/S because the mini vci cable drivers are compatible with 32 bit O/S. There is a way to run on other O/S with 64 bit but it is very difficult. There are different version of Techstream but for just programming the key the one that comes with the cable should not be that old and should be ok. I tried using a 64 Bit Win7 but it was too hard to get it to work but using Win7 32 bit was so easy.

Carefully read up on using Techstream as there can be a problem if you do it wrong. I believe you can brick the cable if you configure it wrong.

As for programming the key it is some what confusing at first but you can try as many times as you like until it works. Read Junebug instructions carefully.

Another thing is you do not need to cut the key to program it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will bite the bullet...again

It must be done through Techstream.
For a one-time thing, bite the bullet and spend the $60 at the dealer.
If you are computer-savvy, you can buy a Chinese OBD-II cable and software, fart with it and pray that it works on your particular notebook, and hope that your antivirus warning is a false positive ;)

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
You need a notebook/laptop with a 32 Bit operating system (ie Xp, Window 7). You need 32 Bit Window O/S because the mini vci cable drivers are compatible with 32 bit O/S. There is a way to run on other O/S with 64 bit but it is very difficult.
I installed under Win7-64 and it was fairly painless following the guide (I think I posted links).
Mine continued to work after the upgrade to Windows 10.

Edit: Found the link - http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73034

1 - 5 of 5 Posts