Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm not supposed to yank a flash drive out of the computer, but I can't seem to figure out how to safely eject it from the USB port in our 2019 RAV4 hybrid. No mention of this in the manual or anywhere that I can see in the audio windows. Or am I missing something? Thanks!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Not sure if this make any difference, but I only remove mine after I have turned off the car. My rational is that it seems that the drive is only accessed when the car is on in either accessory or started. So in my mine, it's safer to remove the USB drive only after the car has been turned off.

Now, the drive I use is one of the mini ones and does not have a light to indicate activity. If yours has a light and the light is not on or flashing, the drive would be safe to remove. I do, however, have an older drive that the light stays on the whole time it's plugged in so there are some limitation to the light rationale.

Hmm, something I will need to test, is the data USB socket powered even when the car is off? If not, this would further reinforce the thought of removing the drive only when the car is off.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Its a read only device (USB drive with music on it). There is no problem pulling it. Now if it was a read/write device where the Entune or whatever writes to it; it would be a different story.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Its a read only device (USB drive with music on it). There is no problem pulling it. Now if it was a read/write device where the Entune or whatever writes to it; it would be a different story.
Are you 100% sure that Entune only reads from the USB flash drive? Have you right protected a USB drive and had no issues with Entune throwing an error? Are you sure that Entune doesn't right a hidden index file on the USB flash drive? I've dealt with corrupted USB drives and without a reliable backup, caution is your friend.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Are you 100% sure that Entune only reads from the USB flash drive? Have you right protected a USB drive and had no issues with Entune throwing an error? Are you sure that Entune doesn't write a hidden index file on the USB flash drive? I've dealt with corrupted USB drives and without a reliable backup, caution is your friend.
And so have I. And I would never put valuable data on a USB drive in a working environment with such possible temperature fluctuations without a secondary source of said data. I always have a master as part of a Best Practices philosophy.

That being said I have never had a problem with Toyota, Hyundai or Ford over the last decade dropping, corrupting or having any such issues with removing the drive during playback or while the device is in operation.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Mine gets pulled constantly as my kids create their own song lists to listen to. So mine is ganked almost daily. And sometimes its pulled while in operation as my wife switches between the kids drives. shrug Guess my wife and I have the shock free Midas touch! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts