Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks...
is there a way to read the codes manualy?
or it can be done only with specific code reader?
Yesterday just that lamp on panel went on... dunno for what... dammit... nothing special done to the car...
Please... RAV4 1999... seem to be OBD-II...

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
megahiper said:
Hi folks...
is there a way to read the codes manualy?
or it can be done only with specific code reader?
Yesterday just that lamp on panel went on... dunno for what... dammit... nothing special done to the car...
Please... RAV4 1999... seem to be OBD-II...
On some of the older OBD1 systems you could jump terminals te1 and e1 and count the flashes, but with OBD2 systems that wont work so yes you will need an OBD2 capable code reader. Depending on where ya live most autozones and kragens will read the codes for ya and let ya know what the code is along with a brief explanation.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeffs97 said:
On some of the older OBD1 systems you could jump terminals te1 and e1 and count the flashes, but with OBD2 systems that wont work so yes you will need an OBD2 capable code reader. Depending on where ya live most autozones and kragens will read the codes for ya and let ya know what the code is along with a brief explanation.
thanx Jeffs99... i went to local toyotas... they conected some super-puper new digital reader... nothing... so that man went after an older device... :)... looked really old, but it worked with no probs... and they charged me nothing!... that damn A/F sensor 1 bank 1 was the troublemaker... offered me one for 300$... dammit... but they also cleared that trouble code and now everything is OK... with same old sensor :)...

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
megahiper said:
Jeffs97 said:
thanx Jeffs99... i went to local toyotas... they conected some super-puper new digital reader... nothing... so that man went after an older device... :)... looked really old, but it worked with no probs... and they charged me nothing!... that damn A/F sensor 1 bank 1 was the troublemaker... offered me one for 300$... dammit... but they also cleared that trouble code and now everything is OK... with same old sensor :)...
Did they tell you what the code was? Its sounds like your upstream O2 sensor is bad or sluggish(meaning its goin bad), be aware that even though they turned off the light, toyota uses 2TL, the problem is still there and it will trigger the light again....and $300 for a new one? WTF?!?!?!?!? mine cost me like $98 from an internet source i set up some time ago and its a factory part too.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jeffs97 said:
Did they tell you what the code was? Its sounds like your upstream O2 sensor is bad or sluggish(meaning its goin bad), be aware that even though they turned off the light, toyota uses 2TL, the problem is still there and it will trigger the light again....and $300 for a new one? WTF?!?!?!?!? mine cost me like $98 from an internet source i set up some time ago and its a factory part too.
In fact he showed me the computers screen, but all i noticed was that A/F Sensor 1 bank 1... forgot to rember the exact code...
Now thats what im doing - waiting for another MIL to come on... and then im going to fix that A/F...
About the price... dunno... they told me that toyotas doesnt have an alternate spare parts... just original... and thats because its so damn expensive... that manager also offered me a discount... so if i want i gan get it by $230... also in some internet toyota spare shop i found that sensor for about 250$... dunno what sensor do you have for an 98$...??? there on exaust are 2 sensors - A/F (Air Flow) and OXYGEN... which one did you replaced for 98$?
thanx!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
megahiper said:
Jeffs97 said:
In fact he showed me the computers screen, but all i noticed was that A/F Sensor 1 bank 1... forgot to rember the exact code...
Now thats what im doing - waiting for another MIL to come on... and then im going to fix that A/F...
About the price... dunno... they told me that toyotas doesnt have an alternate spare parts... just original... and thats because its so damn expensive... that manager also offered me a discount... so if i want i gan get it by $230... also in some internet toyota spare shop i found that sensor for about 250$... dunno what sensor do you have for an 98$...??? there on exaust are 2 sensors - A/F (Air Flow) and OXYGEN... which one did you replaced for 98$?
thanx!
The upstream o2 sensor controls the a/f ratio when the system is in closed loop operation. The first sensor helps measure a/f ratio to maintain an ideal 14.7:1 ratio, the second o2 sensor(downstream) basically is used for catalyst efficiency, rather checks that the cat is consuming most if not all the oxygen in the exhaust gases, if not the second o2 sensor senses o2 and triggers an efficiency code. About the price, i get all my factory toyota parts at a much discounted price through an internet account i set up quite sometime ago so im not stuck paying some crazy marked up stealership price. I have 2 different sources that i use and both are based in TX.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts