Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've a RAV4 Diesel 2003 D4D. Only since 2004 they have OBD2 for the Diesels. I can find lots of information how to read the fault codes from models from 2004 and later, but what about the 2003 diesel cars and before? How can I read these fault codes?

Thanks for your help guys!

Joris

·
Registered
731 Posts
I remember on the older pre-OBDII USA gas vehicles there was a rectangular box under the hood with a flap door on top. It would be marked "diagnosis" and should have around 20-25 connectors inside.

If you have this connector, turn the key on and jump T and E1 with a paper clip. Count the flashes of the MIL and there will be your code.

The information available to me does not show a diesel option. This might not apply to your vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The plug is the same as the OBD2, and it's located under the steering wheel on the left. I already bought an OBD2 scanner unit (U480), the plug fits however it doesn't support the OBD2 protocols...... :frown

Any ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Try to jump pins #4 & 13 at the obd2 16 pin connector.Then turn the ignition key to ON position.Then count the number of blinks(check engine light) to be able to identify trouble code.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts