Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
DC Truck, Van, & SUV spray paint cans are/were 11 ounces.

Just finished doing the second 4.1's wheels -- they are drying, and will reinstall tomorrow after dressing the tires.

Their finish looks very similar to the first sets', except the clear coat does add some glossiness. Rather potent stuff, so I used a (half) respirator mask even though I was spraying outside. The one can of clear coat was just barely enough to do two light coats on the outsides of all four wheels and three on the caps; a second can is recommended for putting a coat on the wheels' insides, as well as for a third coat on the outsides to get more gloss if desired.

The other thing I did better was more masking of the tires -- a one inch strip of masking tape, on both sides, just barely not-touching the rims. This eliminated any little oversprays on the tires due to any leaks between the index cards.

Other than a two day battle with the elements (wind, rain, heat, humidity), went well!

·
Registered
44 Posts
well, this will be the first of many repairs i do to the rav i just inherited. 2000 rav4 with 92k miles.

its been sitting for a few years. ive already drained the fluids and replaced them with fresh stuff (oil, coolant, power steering). ran the car out of gas (put in some lucas fuel stabilizer first) and filled her up with fresh stuff.

she runs great but does have her issues, like the alarm that wont turn off (not sure if its the FOB or not), so i took out the alarm module.

great site so far, looks like this will be my second fav car website (im pretty big into volvos already) :D

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Good luck with the new-to-you RAV-4!

But might I suggest that you first take care of that dead white cat. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just want anyone whos reading this thread to know that adding clearcoat is a MUST for durablitliy.Dont expect the paint to last long witout it.In somecases in as little as 6 months the primer will start showing thru and will look very bad.Clearcoat youre work and you will be happy,OP said they used whole can for two light coats,I used 3/4 can for 3 heavy coats......Just buy the one can and you will be fine.I did 3 coats self-etching primer-1 coat filler primer (then sanded again),Then 3 coats of paint and 3 coats of clearcoat and they came out great.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Glad it works well for you, too! I didn't clear-coat the first, and the wheels still looked good by the time I sold it. The second's, with the clear coat, is holding up well too, except I had new tires put on so I now need to redo where the old balancing weights were located. Removing the tires and weights before refinishing the wheels is, of course, best, but ...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
FYI -- My pictures disappeared, but I have them uploaded to an album here. I'll edit the individual posts soon to restore the pics.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Pics are back up on that first post! Please PM me if others are missing, or them again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just did my rims on a 98 rav. I would like to add a real easy way to tape off the tires. I have a check Harbor Freight vacuum pump and pulled a vacuum on the tires. They collapsed like a stepped on donut leaving about 1/4 inch away from edge of rim. Placed plastic sheet over complete tire and rim and cut the centre of the plastic sheet out tucking in around bead. With a piece of sheet metal I protected the tire as went with wire wheel and sander to clean up the rim edge. Using the vacuum pump i first removed the stem core, collapse tire with vacuum pump and put stem cap on to hold it there.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
If a tire unbeads, getting it back on likely will require a trip to someone with tire-changing tools. But glad yours held!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for your comment. Yes it is possible to come unleaded. I used the same system to unbead a tire to replace a bad valve stem. Refilled tire no problem. The key is to stop before unbending occurs.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts