Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The prior owner of my '07 Limited had a satellite radio receiver/controller thing glued to the dash in the corner by the passenger A pillar. I haven't tried anything to remove it. It's hard, does not budge when I rub on the surface, and appears to be on there pretty good. Thinking trying to remove it will make things worse, especially any kind of solvent. So perhaps low heat from a hair dryer? Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

-kj-

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwnCvTOIHxeLdDAzUmR1RWhjX0E

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwnCvTOIHxeLVlU3dkItT1lEQnc

·
Registered
72 Posts
If it's a textured surface, I'd start with the least invasive first. I've seen some use WD40 for this, if that doesn't work, try rubbing alcohol, and if that doesn't work, then the adhesive remover.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Reactions: kjarrett

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Tex usually knows what he's talking about, but I've used something called "Goo-Gone", found in any supermarket, that works quite well.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. Looking for places to get this stuff hopefully in a smaller size, shame to buy 12 oz. when I only need a fraction of that...

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,718 Posts
I recommend good old lighter fluid. You know, Ronsonol or Zippo lighter fluid for lighters, not barbecue pits. It doesn't seem to affect most plastics.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Thanks everyone. Looking for places to get this stuff hopefully in a smaller size, shame to buy 12 oz. when I only need a fraction of that...
Goo-Gone is available in 2 ounce bottles. It is surprising how often you use it when it's handy at home. Ronson lighter fluid is a favorite, too.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,718 Posts
Goo-Gone is available in 2 ounce bottles. It is surprising how often you use it when it's handy at home. Ronson lighter fluid is a favorite, too.
Goo-Gone is good--another brand with a similar name is Goof Off.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, -1 for Goof Off, tried it in an inconspicuous part of the dash (where the door closes) and it discolored the surface pretty noticeably. Need to try some Goo-Gone and some lighter fluid.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I'd vote for WD-40. I've cleaned adhesive off a lot of stuff and seems pretty tame and takes a little longer as it balls up the crud. (It is named for 'Water Displacement").

1 - 15 of 15 Posts