Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
There seems to be several failure modes here. My original post refers to the lower shaft and in particular where it clamps to the rack and pinion splined spigot. I have to say that since making this tutorial, I have had some success on other RAVs with tightening the clamp bolt. I mark the bolt head so I can see the original position then slacken the bolt until it is just free (maybe quarter turn) then tighten it past the original position but not so tight to risk snapping the bolt. This has fixed the clunk without using a new lower shaft.

I suppose it depends how worn the shaft has got but it can work. I can't speak about the upper joint or for the splines as they have never caused a problem on the UK vehicles I have worked on. Maybe it's a climate thing and the splines dry out in hotter dryer locations. That certainly is not a problem on our cold, wet island.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just did this, and it worked!!! Check it out. Watch the video on YouTube, "rav4 intermediate steering shaft fix" posted by "rav fix"
Did that fix also and it has been 2 months and no clunk. I used PB lubricant spray adapted to a flexible polypropylene tubing to a syringe needle. Sprayed two shots in three locations around the seal.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I bought the parts....took it to my mechanic (not a toyota mechanic). He said the following....

"I took off the lower boot, looked at it, and there is now way in hell that part had failed. So I didnt replace it, and I put the boot back on...give it a try"

My car has NOT clunked since... it has been 10,000kms and no clunk

Perhaps people are replacing this part for nothing?

Now I have this expensive part in my garage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also was experiencing some clunking on my steering and decided to replace the intermediate steering shaft
per the procedure but after i put everything together and took it for a test every time i step on the gas the stability light would come on and there is some shaking and hesitation, same thing when i step on the brake. have anybody had a similar experience after changing the intermediate steering shaft? I really need some help here.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hate to be that guy to revive a relatively old thread, but...

I've started noticing the clunk as well. I read through the TSB and the part it recommends is 45221-42070.

Amazon, eBay, and toyotapartsdeal.com have part 45221-42071 for $85, $90, and $145 respectively. From what I've read, it seems 45221-42070 is identical to 45221-42071.

But in the original post in this thread, I see JuneBug used part 45221-42080. Does anyone know if this is the same as part 45221-42071?

I have a JDM Rav4 (2007 Sport, 82000 km), and those appear to have more in common with UK Rav4s, than USDM Rav4s.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hate to be that guy to revive a relatively old thread, but...

I've started noticing the clunk as well. I read through the TSB and the part it recommends is 45221-42070.

Amazon, eBay, and toyotapartsdeal.com have part 45221-42071 for $85, $90, and $145 respectively. From what I've read, it seems 45221-42070 is identical to 45221-42071.

But in the original post in this thread, I see JuneBug used part 45221-42080. Does anyone know if this is the same as part 45221-42071?

I have a JDM Rav4 (2007 Sport, 82000 km), and those appear to have more in common with UK Rav4s, than USDM Rav4s.
New part installation is not worth. $200+ and a few hours.

Find watch a video in this thread.
Just inject some oil into the shaft bearing then forget it. $5 and 5 minutes. and enjoy life

·
Registered
15 Posts
New part installation is not worth. $200+ and a few hours.

Find watch a video in this thread.
Just inject some oil into the shaft bearing then forget it. $5 and 5 minutes. and enjoy life
Thanks for the reply, Sean.

Yes, this is what I've read, and I'm about to do it for the first time around. Still, I'd like to replace the intermediate shaft eventually, for a more permanent fix.

This is why I asked.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Sean.

Yes, this is what I've read, and I'm about to do it for the first time around. Still, I'd like to replace the intermediate shaft eventually, for a more permanent fix.

This is why I asked.
I understood.
However I believe injecting oil is almost permanent fix.
because I did oiling 6 years ago, then I have no clunk at all.
If I hear it, just add another shot of oil will fix it for another several years.

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/88177-steering-shaft-clunk-possible-fix-6.html#post1163074

Also this is not the safety issue. just not enough grease on the shaft bearing cause the noise.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
About this Discussion
48 Replies
35 Participants
sean20202020
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing