Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is a general question, but do the rear shock absorbers on these rav4 go out after a certain miles? I've been looking for Rav4 and all of them have had either shock absorbers done recently or needs to be done.
Any symptoms that i should be looking for when looking for a Rav4?

·
Registered
83 Posts
When you hit a bump it's hard or when I turn the rear jumped. When I changed them that all stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Wish the photos still existed.
Your wish is my command. I was able to go back to the UK forum and download all the photos. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Did my rear shocks today. On the LH side (drivers side) I was able to get the box end of a 17mm wrench on the upper shock nut and a ratcheting 17mm wrench on the bolt head. Use another wrench as leverage or tap on the wrench with a hammer to get the bolt started. On both sides , the bolt loosened before the nut even turned. Very little room to work even the ratcheting wrench.
On the LH side, I removed the lower shock mount , but didn't have to on the RH side. If you loosen the lower mount, then remove the upper shock bolt, you can remove the lower shock bolt easily, leaving the lower mount still attached. Don't forget to install the bolt the other way for next time.
On the RH side upper shock nut, I wasn't able to use the box end of the wrench and used the open end. Still worked ok because the nut didn't turn until the bolt was loose.
Jacking up the suspension to install the lower shock bolts is necessary. Took about an hr per side.....I wasn't in a hurry....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the detail Information. It's been a long time since I have been on this website. Quick question I replace the rear shocks with KYB's # 349024 from Rockauto and it has given me a little more height in the rear. It also has a harsh ride in the back. Correct me if I'm wrong but normally the springs gives the height and the shocks gives you a comfortable ride. Is that normal or something not right in the back. I don't like the way they feel and I feel like replacing them with something else. THanks for your time in advance. Jay

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Thanks for the detail Information. It's been a long time since I have been on this website. Quick question I replace the rear shocks with KYB's # 349024 from Rockauto and it has given me a little more height in the rear. It also has a harsh ride in the back. Correct me if I'm wrong but normally the springs gives the height and the shocks gives you a comfortable ride. Is that normal or something not right in the back. I don't like the way they feel and I feel like replacing them with something else. THanks for your time in advance. Jay
If you want a ride closer to what you had originally, the Toyota shocks are your best choice. Most aftermarket shock would be stiffer than stock. They are also less expensive then the KYB shocks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks DL for your response. I will do that. I check on the price of the original rear shock on the Toyota website and was surprise to see ( as you mention ) the price was lower than the KYB"s. Next time I will stick with the stock item for the truck. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My '12 base with just under 45k has a leaking RR shock...bought it new, driven mostly by my daughter, seems WAY too early for shocks to be failing. I can't remember the last time I had to replace a shock on a car....

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #71

·
Registered
130 Posts
Not sure if the room is the same on the AWD version, but may work the same. The first picture is the tools I used, minus my jacks to do the job. As mentioned before by a previous poster using two open end wrenches together gave the leverage needed to break the top nut and bolt loose, then a pair of long nose locking pliers held the nut while I loosened the bolt. The rest of the removal can be found in previous posts or by searching online. After that I installed my new Tokico shocks and torqued everything down to spec. Very easy job to do if you have or have access to the right tools.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
The answer is on changing is couple of short youtube.com clips
Front youtu.be/olZOf-hw2G8
Rear youtu.be/nQq3GE8_fbk

I am preparing to replace mine and notice it may be possible to drop the rear sub frame a bit to give better access. bolt up through the centre of the rear springs, plus a couple near the front of the rear wheel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This isn't necessary, I really didn't have much difficulty replacing my rear shocks. The racheting wrench really helped.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I replaced the shocks in our 182k '06 RAV4 this weekend with the Bilstein shocks. Thanks to this thread, things went smoothly, I was really glad that I had purchased the Klutch Extra-Long Spline Drive Flex Ratcheting Wrench — 17mm x 19mm that was linked to earlier in this thread. I also used a second flex head ratcheting 17m wrench once I had broken the bolt loose. Thanks again to all who went before me for posting your tips!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, Excellent documentation. I changed the struts and shocks on my rav 4 2009. My ride is not smooth its a bit rough. I thought changing the shocks and struts would make a big difference but it has only made a small difference. Do you know what else I would need to change to make it smooth??

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Hi, Excellent documentation. I changed the struts and shocks on my rav 4 2009. My ride is not smooth its a bit rough. I thought changing the shocks and struts would make a big difference but it has only made a small difference. Do you know what else I would need to change to make it smooth??
What brand did you use for the strut and shocks ? Only the factory Toyota brand will restore the ride to the same when the car was new. All aftermarket strut and shocks are a bit firmer then the original. There are other parts that may make a difference such as the the coil spring insulator. The coil spring insulator (front strut only) is a rubber boot and a coil spring seat that absorbs some of the vibration to the lower spring coils. I think it is too late to change things now so live with it. Personally you will never get exactly the same ride when it was new since there are so many other parts that can wear out such as the coil springs, upper and lower spring seat and strut mounts.

I just noticed you have the Sport model. That means you will not get a smooth ride like the Limited and Base which uses the same suspension parts. The Sport model has stiffer coil springs and stiffer struts and shocks. Even changing just the strut and shocks will still be stiff. The reason being is you have the stiff coil springs and the low profile tires. If you want a softer ride change the coil springs to the Base/Limited and use the factory Toyota Lmt/Base shocks and struts along with high profile tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
Thanks for replying back, I used toyota shocks and toyota struts, no after market parts. I also purchased new Insulator Front Coil part number - 48157-0R010, which were installed with the struts. Do you think the spring coils need to be replaced? I did look at them and they are in very good shape. The car has 110,000 miles on it. Not sure what else to change to try to restore.

I agree with you, I know I will never get the smooth ride which I had, but I would like to get close to it.

Thanks again for responding.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Did you get the Sport strut/shocks or the regular Base/Limited one? If you had to do it from the beginning you should have changed all the coil springs to non-sport ones with non-sport struts/shock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, I purchased the sport struts and shocks since I have the rav 4 sport. Do I just bit the bullet and replace all the coils? Do I replace just the coils or do I need to replace any other parts along with the coils in your opinion?

Also have you replaced all your struts, shocks and coils and did it make a difference for you.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts
About this Discussion
85 Replies
50 Participants
JuneBug
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing