Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Yes, I purchased the sport struts and shocks since I have the rav 4 sport. Do I just bit the bullet and replace all the coils? Do I replace just the coils or do I need to replace any other parts along with the coils in your opinion?

Also have you replaced all your struts, shocks and coils and did it make a difference for you.
Well it is up to you if you want to replace all the coils but the front ones are expensive for labour if you are not doing it yourself. The rear coils are much easier to do yourself. Used coils are fairly cheap in salvage yards because I don't think there is a big demand for these parts.

As for my suspension they are still all original.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Any chance on getting the old pictures in the original post back up?
Yeah, if only you had clicked on the Toyota Owners Club link in the very first post, you could have seen the pictures. I'll go ahead and download them now.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Here are the photos--sorry they are a lot smaller than the originals.

imageproxy (0).jpg

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
And the last 2 photos:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have been researching rear shocks and have it looks like there are plenty of Toyota dealers (the ones that sell online) offering the OEM rear shocks for only $35 each. Given that my existing ones have lasted over 100k miles and still offer a decent ride - I'm having a hard time believing it's worth gambling on the more expensive aftermarket shocks. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
The OEM rear shocks are a bargain so no need to go with aftermarket and besides that you have two types to choose (Sport and Regular). It seems that there are two prices and RAV4 made in Japan are much lower.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone. First time caller, long time listener here. I'm in the research phase for replacing the rear shocks and front coilovers on my wife's 2012 rav4 2WD Base. This thread has been very helpful.

My question is, where are the factory jack points, and proper places for jack stands? I scoured the owners manual and googled it but couldn't find a clear answer. I know there is one main jack point under the rear bumper but I didn't see any place for jack stands. The frame isn't exposed like it is on my Tundra. Thanks

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
It very clearly states in the owners manual where the jack points are and the jack stands go. Behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It very clearly states in the owners manual where the jack points are and the jack stands go. Behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels.
Very clearly you say? Interesting that I couldn't find it in the manual. If you find the page please share so I can take a look.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Very clearly you say? Interesting that I couldn't find it in the manual. If you find the page please share so I can take a look.
To use a floor jack, see section 4.3 Positioning a Floor Jack, page 348.
To use the scissor jack that came with the car, see section 5.2 Steps to Take in an Emergency, page 436.
By the way, mine is a 2010. I'm pretty sure it's the same for your 2012, but the page #s might be different. I usually use the Alphabetical Index in the back, so if yours is different, look up "Emergency in case of a flat tire", or "Jack, positioning a floor jack".

·
Registered
3 Posts
To use a floor jack, see section 4.3 Positioning a Floor Jack, page 348.
To use the scissor jack that came with the car, see section 5.2 Steps to Take in an Emergency, page 436.
By the way, mine is a 2010. I'm pretty sure it's the same for your 2012, but the page #s might be different. I usually use the Alphabetical Index in the back, so if yours is different, look up "Emergency in case of a flat tire", or "Jack, positioning a floor jack".
Thank you. I remember the first area in the manual I checked was in regards to changing a spare tire. I'll look again when I get home.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi guys
I have question about Rav4 rear shocks and suspension overall.
I own 2008 v6 only for about a 2 month, mileage now 140k (225k kms). When I bought my suv I went for inspection to local shop, so that guys told me nothing wrong with rav4 except front right sway bar bushing worn out and dust covers on front struts broke but struts works fine.
Other vehicle we have 2007 Honda CR-V with almost twice less mileage, wife driving now.
If I drive only rav4 daily I not really notice suspension problems but specially on weekends when we go with wife and kid on CRV - that big difference. Honda go smoother, better handling and steering response. But biggest concern about rav4 it's micro bouncing on highway. I drive in Canada, we don't have here Germany quality autobahn, and on highway rav4 kind like slightly bouncing....
I checked struts and shocks- no any oil leaks. Push on each corner of vehicle- shocks looks like works but still have that slightly bouncing. I know how to drive with complete worn shock and this not same.
If rav4 have gas and oil hybrid shocks maybe gas from shocks leak and they not working properly? Or this normal suspension work?
Few years ago when I replaced rear shocks with KYB on 2007 mazda 6 that was huge difference in handling after.
Here KYB shocks for rav4 I found cheapest on Amazon for $76 each with free shipping. Rock auto a bit cheaper but shipping cost to Canada and week wait not worth.
If I will replace shocks is it necessary replace top and bottom bolts and rear mini sway bar links? Some auto parts websites sell them together as a kit.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Hi guys
I own 2008 v6 only for about a 2 month, mileage now 140k (225k kms). When I bought my suv I went for inspection to local shop, so that guys told me nothing wrong with rav4 except front right sway bar bushing worn out and dust covers on front struts broke but struts works fine.
Other vehicle we have 2007 Honda CR-V with almost twice less mileage, wife driving now.
If I drive only rav4 daily I not really notice suspension problems but specially on weekends when we go with wife and kid on CRV - that big difference. Honda go smoother, better handling and steering response. But biggest concern about rav4 it's micro bouncing on highway. I drive in Canada, we don't have here Germany quality autobahn, and on highway rav4 kind like slightly bouncing....
I checked struts and shocks- no any oil leaks. Push on each corner of vehicle- shocks looks like works but still have that slightly bouncing. I know how to drive with complete worn shock and this not same.
If rav4 have gas and oil hybrid shocks maybe gas from shocks leak and they not working properly? Or this normal suspension work?
Few years ago when I replaced rear shocks with KYB on 2007 mazda 6 that was huge difference in handling after.
Here KYB shocks for rav4 I found cheapest on Amazon for $76 each with free shipping. Rock auto a bit cheaper but shipping cost to Canada and week wait not worth.
If I will replace shocks is it necessary replace top and bottom bolts and rear mini sway bar links? Some auto parts websites sell them together as a kit.
The KYB is $76 vs Toyota $35 each. You should go with the Toyota shocks which is lower in price and higher in quality. As for installation did you read this thread which all about installing the rear shocks? Of course you need to remove the top and bottom bolt. I suggest you watch the Youtube video since this is not a simple job and sometimes explanations can get lost reading . As for the sway bar end links you do not need to replace them unless they are worn.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Rich (BB code):
DL175
$35 probably in US, in Canada will be double price - all $70. Just got serpentine belt for this rav4, Dayco made in China, cheapest what I can find unbelievable $40 on Amazon. And Wix cabin air filter for $30 (cad).
Higher quality for less price? Not agree. That time when automakers worry about quality gone years ago, now companies worry only about profit. So Toyota and other guys like Honda, Mitsu, Hyundai with Kia most autoparts order from China. And I'm pretty sure in the end of 2000-ish OE supplier for suspension for cars I owned before and now like mazda6, civic, crv was KYB. Did Toyota put on rav4 in 2008 shocks from other brand, not KYB?
Does your rav4 slight bouncing on highway? Is it possible what shocks not work properly if they not leak oil?
I drove brand new Outlander week ago for 2 days from insurance company- going 110 km/h on highway feel like 70-80 because smooth and quiet. 2007 Honda CR-V not so quiet but pretty smooth. 2008 Rav4 - I can feel light fluctuations (Google translate give me that word) from side to side. It's not jump on rough road like worn shocks...
So is it normal suspension settings from Toyota?
Because now I have some free time and have access to work shop with tools so less expensive I can try fix it's rear shocks.
Watched video from 1A autoshop. Thanks

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Hi guys
Get your tires rebalance. There’s a good chance the stick on weight may have come off and put your wheel out of balance and causing the wheel to bounce at hwy speed.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Rich (BB code):
DL175
$35 probably in US, in Canada will be double price - all $70.

Did Toyota put on rav4 in 2008 shocks from other brand, not KYB?
The rear shocks are $48 (CAD) at Scarborough Toyota (Ontario). They jacked up the price like everyone but at one time they were $35 CAD not that long ago when I checked. Toyota shocks and struts are made by Tokico not KYB. You can use KYB if you want but it will be firmer.

81 - 100 of 115 Posts