Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
The rear shocks are $48 (CAD) at Scarborough Toyota (Ontario). They jacked up the price like everyone but at one time they were $35 CAD not that long ago when I checked. Toyota shocks and struts are made by Tokico not KYB. You can use KYB if you want but it will be firmer.
Call to few Toyota dealers in Edmonton, looks like they really busy now Dec 23, reach only Sherwood park dealer parts department and no surprise they gave me quote $95 cad each rear shock.
Never dealers again
Get your tires rebalance. There’s a good chance the stick on weight may have come off and put your wheel out of balance and causing the wheel to bounce at hwy speed.
Thanks. It's good idea.
I just swap front and rear wheels weekend ago because have some noise from rear and that was pretty worn 6/32 rear Bridgestone Blizzaks made in 2012. Have another set of Blizzaks 215/70/16 on rims 10 and 11/32, will try them during Christmas holidays.
But my opinion it's something with suspension....

Amazon also have Monroe rear shocks for better price $53 cad each with free shipping. But they made in US... no Japan... is they good?

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Call to few Toyota dealers in Edmonton, looks like they really busy now Dec 23, reach only Sherwood park dealer parts department and no surprise they gave me quote $95 cad each rear shock.
Never dealers again

Amazon also have Monroe rear shocks for better price $53 cad each with free shipping. But they made in US... no Japan... is they good?
Of course if you go to the dealers parts department you pay the inflated dealer price. Many dealership don't discount their part prices. Buy online and you get the lower discount prices.

Monroe are not good as Tokico Toyota shocks but it is your call.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Rich (BB code):
DL175
$35 probably in US, in Canada will be double price - all $70. Just got serpentine belt for this rav4, Dayco made in China, cheapest what I can find unbelievable $40 on Amazon. And Wix cabin air filter for $30 (cad).
Higher quality for less price? Not agree. That time when automakers worry about quality gone years ago, now companies worry only about profit. So Toyota and other guys like Honda, Mitsu, Hyundai with Kia most autoparts order from China. And I'm pretty sure in the end of 2000-ish OE supplier for suspension for cars I owned before and now like mazda6, civic, crv was KYB. Did Toyota put on rav4 in 2008 shocks from other brand, not KYB?
Does your rav4 slight bouncing on highway? Is it possible what shocks not work properly if they not leak oil?
I drove brand new Outlander week ago for 2 days from insurance company- going 110 km/h on highway feel like 70-80 because smooth and quiet. 2007 Honda CR-V not so quiet but pretty smooth. 2008 Rav4 - I can feel light fluctuations (Google translate give me that word) from side to side. It's not jump on rough road like worn shocks...
So is it normal suspension settings from Toyota?
Because now I have some free time and have access to work shop with tools so less expensive I can try fix it's rear shocks.
Watched video from 1A autoshop. Thanks
Agree that it sounds more like a wheel balance or defective tire issue. Our RAV4 4.3 is pretty smooth at highway speed. Regarding the rear shocks, I found a set of Bilstien shocks that were a little less than the OEM ones. I was not impressed that one of the original shocks barfed all its fluid at 35K, so I was not anxious the buy the OEMs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi guys
After replaced a serpentine belt on rav4 today, I record video witout image stabilization on highway about my complain.
I will make same video soon on exactly same road with my CR-V and will see a difference.
We just went back from mountains (on crv) and I followed few times rav4 this generation on highway and looks like they ride pretty smooth, not bouncing like mine.
I have plan keep my rav4 for a couple years so want invest a bit and fix most important things like suspension for example.

My opinion it's shocks/struts works not properly.
Today I also swap front and rear wheels back (they loud but enough drive till end of season), again inspect struts and shocks, suspension joints. Rear shocks probably still original because top covers have some rust spots and found stickes with name Tokico. Never heard about this brand before but after google official web site it's put me on Hitachi page, not bad :)
But no any leaks from struts and shocks and they looks like works if I push on corners or jump on rear bumper when tailgate is open.

Can you guys please take a look on that video and give some ideas what can be wrong with suspension?
Happy coming New Year!

Ps. Here video from Honda. You can see, it's not ride like Escalade, but way smoother

Guys any idea how get autoparts cheaper here in Canada? Set of 4 KYB struts and shocks on Rockauto cost $300 cad, but shipping extra $100...
Amazon give similar price, over $400.
Local autoparts stores?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Of course if you go to the dealers parts department you pay the inflated dealer price. Many dealership don't discount their part prices. Buy online and you get the lower discount prices.

Monroe are not good as Tokico Toyota shocks but it is your call.
Got today Tokico Toyota rear shocks from Scarborough, Ontario.
But... they are Tokico U.S.A., not Japan.
They arrived fully extended, not straps like on KYB.
And tried 7-8 times squeeze them and let extend - every time 1 shock extend 6-8 seconds faster then another one... Different performance? :)
Waiting when warm up a bit outside and will put them in vehicle. Don't want even start a Rav at -37°C ❄

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Rich (BB code):
DL175
Higher quality for less price? Not agree. That time when automakers worry about quality gone years ago, now companies worry only about profit. So Toyota and other guys like Honda, Mitsu, Hyundai with Kia most autoparts order from China. And I'm pretty sure in the end of 2000-ish OE supplier for suspension for cars I owned before and now like mazda6, civic, crv was KYB. Did Toyota put on rav4 in 2008 shocks from other brand, not KYB?
To clarify, the part number for rear shocks for RAV4.3s that were assembled in Japan (check your VIN) is 48530-42050. The rear shocks under that part number are made by Tokico Japan, and manufactured in Japan (not China). I'm yet to receive an OEM Toyota part made in China.

Given the fact that they last over 100k miles tells you something about the high quality and incredible value for money.

While you are at it, you may want to spend a few bucks extra extra to replace the nuts and bolts for the shocks if they are rusted/worn:

48530-42050 (Japan rear shock - you need to order two)
90105-A0252 (Bolt, Flange - you need to order two)
90105-A0251 (Bolt, Flange - you need to order two)
90178-A0095 (Nut, flange - you need to order four)

I have no idea how the 48530-42050 shocks physically differ from the 48531-0R011 (if at all) - the only difference may be that the 48530-42050 is made by Tokico Japan and has no English stamped on it anywhere (other than the 'Caution' warning). They receive the same nuts and bolts as the 48531-0R011 shocks.

The price was the same for me in the US - $35 each from an online Toyota parts dealer. The new nuts and bolts cost me $16 total.

·
Registered
43 Posts
After a second look, I see that 48530-42050 (shock for Japanese VINs) has a flared flange along the shaft. This may be to direct debris/water away from the shock's path of travel? No idea.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks
Mine Rav starts VIN number on J so should built in Japan
I didn't notice someone see difference about shocks reading this forum, so double check now and according to one Toyota dealer website they are can be replaced each other
Part Number: 485310R011
Supersession(s): 4853042050; 48531-0R011; 485310R010; 4853142220; 4853142221
Bolts and nuts will see. If something will go wrong autoparts store not far from work shop where I have plan replace all this parts.
Not sure how long I will keep this vehicle so not really want to do unnecessary investments. Sounds like 10 bucks, but 10 bucks here, 15 there, 20 over there so total can be some amount of money.
Same time Toyota and other automakers use lots autoparts from China, Korean use engines complete assembled in China. Just watch video about brand new Accord, handles really nice but have lots aluminum suspension parts and from Audi experience it's can be super expensive for repair/replace that aluminum suspension parts. Also Direct Injection engines, carbon build up on intake valves... Maybe will drive this Rav forever, who know 😄

·
Registered
43 Posts
I hear you. These things can add up quickly. I ordered the nuts and bolts purely because my mechanic said he'll replace the shocks for $50 total if I make sure I have everything on hand (including just-in-case hardware) so that he can quickly get it done.

My point about 'made in Japan' is specific to this thread, just to clarify that OEM Toyota RAV4 rear shocks (at least 48530-42050) are in fact made in Japan, not China.

·
Registered
58 Posts
After a second look, I see that 48530-42050 (shock for Japanese VINs) has a flared flange along the shaft. This may be to direct debris/water away from the shock's path of travel? No idea.

View attachment 148603
Maybe just design
Check rockauto and no any other shocks have same design
Europeans Sachs shocks top cover made from plastic.
And on my Rav front struts have broken dust covers and nobody know how long time ago they broke but struts are original, from 2008 and still works.
I wish I have made in Japan parts but this is Canada, thanks to DL175 for information about Toyota dealer because otherwise I would use KYB shocks or Monroe (like most local guys just buy Monroe for $140 a piece at Napa)

·
Registered
58 Posts
My point about 'made in Japan' is specific to this thread, just to clarify that OEM Toyota RAV4 rear shocks (at least 48530-42050) are in fact made in Japan, not China.
Yes, thanks
And when I searched about this new brand for me Tokico - Google sent me on Hitachi Tokico website so they works together or Hitachi owns Tokico. Should be superior Japanese quality

·
Registered
98 Posts
I wonder why there are not any shocks that are in Monotube construction, at least on rear? KYB, Sachs, Gabriel, even Bilstein have only twin tube for this car.
For my other car, a Kia Soul, rear shocks have both options (OE monotubes only for higher trim levels).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi guys
After replaced a serpentine belt on rav4 today, I record video witout image stabilization on highway about my complain.
I will make same video soon on exactly same road with my CR-V and will see a difference.
We just went back from mountains (on crv) and I followed few times rav4 this generation on highway and looks like they ride pretty smooth, not bouncing like mine.
I have plan keep my rav4 for a couple years so want invest a bit and fix most important things like suspension for example.

My opinion it's shocks/struts works not properly.
Today I also swap front and rear wheels back (they loud but enough drive till end of season), again inspect struts and shocks, suspension joints. Rear shocks probably still original because top covers have some rust spots and found stickes with name Tokico. Never heard about this brand before but after google official web site it's put me on Hitachi page, not bad :)
But no any leaks from struts and shocks and they looks like works if I push on corners or jump on rear bumper when tailgate is open.

Can you guys please take a look on that video and give some ideas what can be wrong with suspension?
Happy coming New Year!

Ps. Here video from Honda. You can see, it's not ride like Escalade, but way smoother

Guys any idea how get autoparts cheaper here in Canada? Set of 4 KYB struts and shocks on Rockauto cost $300 cad, but shipping extra $100...
Amazon give similar price, over $400.
Local autoparts stores?
Dim000h , did you find solution to your problem? My rav4 has exactly the same behavior but a bit worse than yours. I replaced front & rear shocks, front control arms & bushings, rear end links, did alignment. The problem seemed to go (not completely) the 1st day of replacement, but next day, the rear keeps moving side to side and bouncing which is not normal. At the moment, the car is not comfortable to drive, the driver gets tired of this behavior after a few miles.

·
Registered
58 Posts
neuropr I think I fixed that.
I just replaced last weekend front struts and bushings and rear shocks. Everything was original from 2008. Struts was good, but bushings and rear shocks works not properly. My Rav4 suspension works much better now, I can go through railway track or road construction zone 60 km/h and suspension works pretty... predictable?
Highway 100-120 km/h not problem. It's wasn't dangerous problem before, just much comfortable now. I can not hold steering wheel for 10 seconds and car go straight.
But overall compare to same age wife's Honda CR-V, Rav4 suspension firmer (sport trim?) and more noisy on bumps. Doesn't sound like bad metal noise. And absolutely no sound isolation from rear wheels. And vibration whole vehicle- worn rear winter tires (will rebalance all season tires and use newer winters next season), cheap plastic with broken fastener clips (ordered clips from aliexpress), transmission-transfer case noise...
It's just Toyota's level of comfort, much worse compare to Honda and Mazda I own before.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah, shocks are items that wore out slowly and you get used to that bad performance... until you put new ones in and you see what you are missing.
I don't care who makes them, none of them are not working properly past 70-100k miles. The piston seal just wears out and lets fluid past the seal. You can't "feel" that by hand because you can't move them as fast as the car does.

On the front struts, if you didn't replace the top bearing at this time, you just worked for nothing. That bearing is part of the steering response and also part of the alignment angles adjustment. Cheap McPherson suspension...

Also, tires can make a huge difference in noise, even if they look like there is still thread left, they might be worn uneven. Worn suspension shocks/struts does that to them.

It's just Toyota's level of comfort,
I agree with that. I like my RAV4, but there is no comparation with the comfort of the seats of my two older Ford vehicles. When they make the cars "bigger interior than it looks from outside" they make the seats smaller and stiffer. Plus I think they design their cars first for the Japanese customers sizes. As a 6' tall person, that weights 200 lbs, I am probably out of their design specifications :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Rear shocks looks like original from 2008 wasn't leaked. They just not expand(?) anymore so probably gas already leaked.
Front struts wasn't bad, probably shouldn't replace them but covers was broken and now I can be sure Rav suspension is in good condition and won't let me down in oncoming busy season at my job. And because I did most job myself I can't said I spent too much on it. No idea why but looks similar KYB struts to my same age CR-V more than double price.
Anyway, not that microbouncing on highway and I not hate my Rav anymore 😄 suspension's comfort acceptable now, but CR-V still softer and quieter inside.
Not understand about top bearing. If it don't have backlash(?), not play(?) it's should be good. I applied nice synthetic Shell grease which not freeze in cold temperature and good for now.
McPherson cheap but simple, require less maintenance.
Tires noisy for sure. They all nice when brand new but after make more noise. Spring is coming, most snow melted but wait a bit with all seasons, can snowing again.

101 - 118 of 118 Posts