Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to finally show some love to these wheels, and get them looking good again? They're on a 2006 RAV4 that's been sitting in the garage for a few years. Trying to get it back on the road in a few months when my current lease is up.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Sand blasting is the best way to remove rust. But the amount of time required to restore these wheels is too time consuming and the rust can return. I sanded mine and it looks like yours before. Later the rust returned and I had to sand the rust off every year due to the heavy road salt used to melt snow in my area. Just last year I decided to get new alloy wheels since it was too much of a high maintenance to sand and repaint them every year.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just when I was planning to get a new set of black rock wheels and mud tires I came upon this thread. It would be great to have a backup plan for maintenance. I could still use my stock wheels if I handle and save it with care. Thanks for the insights though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Another option you might be able to pursue is to use some plastic wheel covers that clip onto the steel rim. They're sold on eBay here and are rim-specific. I haven't tried these myself, but it seems like an easy way to cover all the rust and make your rims presentable again.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Another option you might be able to pursue is to use some plastic wheel covers that clip onto the steel rim. They're sold on eBay here and are rim-specific. I haven't tried these myself, but it seems like an easy way to cover all the rust and make your rims presentable again.
I had those but it only covers the outside but you can still see through them where the rust can be seen. They are called wheel skins. The chrome ones can get eaten by the salt. One good thing about wheel skin is that they reduce the rust on the outside since it shields the area where salt make contact. Too bad there is no wheel skin that hides the wheel entirely so you can't see anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts