Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My vehicle is 2015 Toyota RAV4 LE. I want to install a front view camera. But I don't know how to run video cable through firewall. In driver side, I even cannot see the grommet. passenger side, I can see it, but cannot reach it. I can cut a cross hole from inside car. But I cannot cut out side (in engine compartment) grommet (see the pictures).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Okay, the RCA plugs (yellow) will not fit through the grommet, so unbend a steel coat hanger or find a long, thin steel rod and push it through the grommet from the engine side. Push and wiggle it through until you can see the end from inside the cabin. You will probably have to bend it some to get around a corner or two. Then tape the thin wires to it and pull it all out through the engine bay. You can do something similar to pull wires through the grille. Sometimes it is easier to drill your own hole. Grommets are a dime a dozen at the hardware store.

I've done so much of this that I might have made it seem easy. Just take your time. Best of luck.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I'll cut the RC plug off, run wire through, then re-connect the plug in cabin. Pushing RC plug through the grommet is very difficult, also it could cost water leaking problem.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I think I'll cut the RC plug off, run wire through, then re-connect the plug in cabin. Pushing RC plug through the grommet is very difficult, also it could cost water leaking problem.
If the RC plugs are to be in the cabin, then what I wrote is the best way to do it. You pull only the other wires back through to the engine side, not the RC plugs.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i did a led drl kit on my camry, there was an empty slot "option" near the brake fluid reseravor. i'm not sure on the rav4. but i used a philips head screwdriver to poke the initial hole. easiest for me was to electric tape the wires to a chopstick and apply a little bit of grease. this allowed me to easily push and pull the wires through the firewall.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i did a led drl kit on my camry, there was an empty slot "option" near the brake fluid reseravor. i'm not sure on the rav4. but i used a philips head screwdriver to poke the initial hole. easiest for me was to electric tape the wires to a chopstick and apply a little bit of grease. this allowed me to easily push and pull the wires through the firewall.
I've searched around, but didn't find blank grommet. Some cars have these spare grommets. My 2008 Honda Civic has 2 small grommets. Before cutting off the RC plug, I'll search again today after work.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've run video cable through firewall. I'll run ACC+ power wire through firewall tomorrow. It was very easy, I decided to run power wire and video cable separately, so rubber can seal the wires.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone done this on the driver's (LEFT) side on a '15-17?

I want to install some aftermarket fog lights on mine SE, and need to get the power cable across the firewall.

All I see is a big bundle of electrical wires going through a very thick rubber grommet. I've tried poking and probing with a coat hanger, but can't get anything through.

Any other suggestions, before I resort to drilling a hole through the sheet metal?

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Has anyone done this on the driver's (LEFT) side on a '15-17?

I did for the 12V power with for the trailer lights on my '15 Ltd, I used the factory routing which is described in the video, but I didn't remove the cowl cover or wiper parts, I just ran a coat hanger wire thru from the inside and attached the 12ga wire to the coat hanger wire and pulled it thru, be careful not to run the coat hanger wire into any of the wiring in the engine compartment. The cowl removal is at the beginning of the video and the "nipple" in the membrane that is intended for the factory trailer wiring is shown at about 9:00.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks, I couldn't have done it without that tip!

Though I can't imagine how you managed to do it without removing the cowl and wiper bits. There's no way I could have accessed that nipple to cut it off, without exposing everything above it.

But now I have LED fog lights :laugh

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks, I couldn't have done it without that tip!

Though I can't imagine how you managed to do it without removing the cowl and wiper bits. There's no way I could have accessed that nipple to cut it off, without exposing everything above it.

But now I have LED fog lights :laugh
I have an LE and mine did not come with fogs at all. I ordered the Auer led ones that came with the wiring harness and boy was that a pain in the A**!! It took me forever to poke through the rubber nipple on the driver side and snake the wires into the cab.

Since yours is an SE didn't it come with halogen fogs and prewired for them? what fogs did you install?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Those Auer lights look nice. Didn't know they were out there. But they're about 6 times the price of the simple set I got from Ebay.

I actually have an LE. Just wanted to fill in the empty fog light blank for aesthetic reasons, not really needing any extra illumination.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Those Auer lights look nice. Didn't know they were out there. But they're about 6 times the price of the simple set I got from Ebay.

I actually have an LE. Just wanted to fill in the empty fog light blank for aesthetic reasons, not really needing any extra illumination.
Yeah they weren't the cheapest option but I bought the rav when this new front end came out so there wasn't much out there.

The kit came with the chrome surround for the fogs like the xle and limited models do but I don't like chrome so I hunted down the SE molds that are painted black. Looks way better

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay, the RCA plugs (yellow) will not fit through the grommet, so unbend a steel coat hanger or find a long, thin steel rod and push it through the grommet from the engine side. Push and wiggle it through until you can see the end from inside the cabin. You will probably have to bend it some to get around a corner or two. Then tape the thin wires to it and pull it all out through the engine bay. You can do something similar to pull wires through the grille. Sometimes it is easier to drill your own hole. Grommets are a dime a dozen at the hardware store.

I've done so much of this that I might have made it seem easy. Just take your time. Best of luck.
Thank you for the information on grommet location. That was a perfect access point to wire my device.

Tip: The grommet was pretty thick rubber, so I used my grinder to make the end of the metal hanger as sharp as a needle and then bent a tight loop on the other end and ground it sharp as well to make it easier to push/pull the wire through. Stripped off about 1" of insulation, pass it thru the loop and then twisted wire. Taped the wire end to keep everything together.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
o_O

1 - 16 of 16 Posts